Paste eater

Telluride Camping

Headed there this weekend. Thinking about a Wasatch and maybe some Lift served Sunday.
    What's the skinny on camping. I think we'd prefer to stay away from the cramped KOA style McCamp sites if possible. I suppose, closer to town is better. Don't need facilities.

And lastly, I have the lat40 map. How difficult is it to Navigate the Wasatch loop for first timers.

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    No KOA style campgrounds around tride. Town park in town is a nice campground but right in town. I think its worth it to drive a little to get out of town.
    If you want to stay away from pay areas
    1. Alta lakes(little drive but well worth it maybe 35 minutes- amazing area)
    2. Priest lake(20 min from town. nice free camground with bathroom)
    Plenty of other camping areas off any national forest road
    Wasatch is not too hard to navigate. biggest mistake would be dropping down too early down la junta basin.

Paste eater
    Hmmm, of the two, which of the two would you recommend? They look to be a pretty similar in terms of travel time to Tride.

BSG
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Priest lake is closer by around 15 minutes. The road up to alta is a little rough especially by the ghost town. Go to trout lake rd and turn onto priest lake rd. Alta is more remote but can be busier because its such an amazing high altitude lake. Personally I like priest but I do live less then 10 minutes by bike from it so I spend a lot of time in the area.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Have not been to Priest, but Alta was pretty cool. If you're semi-early you shouldn't have a problem finding a spot, it's fairly spread out.

The road is a bit rough, but our friend drove her Subaru Outback up there without issue. Even saw a Dodge Charger at the ghost town, but wouldn't recommend that.

I'm not a fan of the campsite in Town, seems crowded and noisy. Sunshine isn't too bad in a pinch...
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    There's also some forest service camping after the first switchback on Mill Creek Road. Much closer to town...