mtbr member
    May 2011

Telluride Bluegrass - ride guide/super-d

I'm going on a solo road trip this summer from PA to CO (the perks of being a shop teacher). The first stop is going to be in Telluride from June 16th to the 24th (maybe longer) for the bluegrass festival. I'm going to be camping at the Mary E. Ilium Campground. Are there any specific trails in this area that I do not want to miss?

I ride moto trials and like to pick lines and ride any type of technical single track or downhill flow trails. I'm excited to take some downhill runs from the gondola if anyone can fill me in on the details.

I need to be back in PA by the first week of August. I'm planning to explore as much of Colorado as possible and enter some super d/ enduro races on the weekends. I'm hoping to meet up with some riders who can show me their trails or who plan to camp out at any of the super-d races. If anyone in the area is willing to meet up and show me around or can put me in touch with someone that would be awesome. Feel free to send me a PM, the first few rounds of beer will be on me. Thanks! Any riding suggestions will be a big help I canít wait.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Do Wasatch from the campground, simple 16 mile loop that dumps you at camp. A downhiller will love it. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You may be thinking of the Town Park Campground; Illium is below Keystone Hill. Wasatch Loop would also be quite the climb for a downhiller. Perhaps the mini-Wasatch (climb from the top of the G and take the Wasatch Connector to Wasatch Trail to Bear Creek).

The bike park is self-explanatory, sign in at the top of the Gondola, they will also be the ones to talk to about super-D (I don't even know what that means).

Only trails closed right now are in Prospect Basin for Elk calving (until July 4th, I think). Otherwise I'd tell you to ride Prospect Trail to Alta Lakes to T-35 (aka Sunshine). That dumps you on the Ames-Illium Road, ride downhill to your camp.

Galloping Goose will take you back and forth from you campsite in Illium to the Valley Floor, easy climbing. From the Gondola, you can ride Village Trail, Jerassic, Meadows, Galloping Goose to Illium, but its all pretty tame. I still recommend T-35 for a downhill. Many people shuttle it or just ride out on the highway

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Uncompahgre Plateau / west End

If you're willing to leave the confines of Telluride there are great rides out in the West End. Paradox Trail sections, Y-11 and the Tabrguache Trail on the Plateau. It's to big and wild to describe here bit you can contact me in Nucla. pdkoski@ gmail.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I will be in Tride for bluegrass this weekend. I have my bike and will be riding!

It was great!
    Last edited by lloyd braun; 06-26-2012 at 07:10 AM.