mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Summer in Fruita

I'm heading to Colorado at from the beginning to mid July and I'd like to do some XC riding in Fruita. Will the heat be tolerable or miserable? Should I look somewhere else? Someone also suggested Crested Butte.

I only have a hardtale, but I did OK with it in Moab a couple of years ago, but I'd still like to stick to XCish trails if possible.

Also looking to maybe dabble in in some downhill runs. Any suggestions on where is cheap to get a lift ticket and rent a bike?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Hey bigzebra,

Yes, you should definitely come to Fruita to ride, it will be totally worth it.

As for the heat, it sort of depends on the year, we have had scorching July, and we have had moderate July. Right now, it's hot, but not unbearable, and there is a decent breeze cooling things as you ride. If you ride in the mornings and evenings, it's quite pleasant. you can get some GREAT riding on your hardtail up at 18 rd, and even out at the kokopelli trails in Loma.

stop by Over the Edge sports in Fruita for info.

there aren't any downhills here in Fruita, but you can rent a bike and ride Free Lunch or the Ribbon. Look at Trestle bike park in Winterpark for downhill.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    if you're from St. louis like your profile says and can bear 90s and humid weather, then fruita should be fine for you in July since it's a dry heat and not humid, just drink plenty of fluids.

If you get tired of the heat + desert riding you can head over to Crested Butte since it's only 3hrs from fruita. Highs here will be around 70 and sunny in July. Crested Butte also has a nice downhill park with fairly cheap prices for a lift ticket + bike rental.

Tigers love pepper...
    As others said, just go in the am or evening or both and drink a lot of water. I'll take our heat over Midwest humidity any day (grew up in WI).

You can also head up on the Mesa, uncompaghre or Glade park in about 45-60 minutes.

Last summer I did Flowing park on July 4th and it was GREAT. It was 29 degrees cooler when I left the trail than when I got back into town!

mtbr member
    Bring your lights, the night riding is great.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    hardtail

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'd go someplace cooler.

100+ deg is 100+ deg and it will suck the life out of you. You almost can't drink water fast enough. You can ride in the evenings or early morning but then what? Hang out inside in air conditioning the rest of the time?

I'd go someplace cooler.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I ride a hardtail all the time in Fruita/GJ and it serves me well.

As for the heat, you should probably aim to be finished riding by 11am. There is occasional shade on the trails but for the most part you'd be in the sun. South facing alcoves will feel like furnaces. The evenings are usually too hot until the sun actually starts to set, although in the last week or so it has been tolerable outside at about 7pm.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    It doesn't bother me too much to ride when it's mid 90's. I live in a humid area - Missouri. Now given the choice, I would prefer late afternoons but if midday is only chance I can hit trail, I will hit it.

I will most likely do a smaller ride than I normally would if the temps were lower so as not to overdo it - just have to use common sense - hydrate well day before and during the ride, if you plan to ride 25+ miles bring electrolyte replenishment, and don't try to break the land-strava record.

Gotta hit that dirt while you can - the dirt gets lonely if my tires ain't on it.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thank you all for your responses!

Being in Saint Louis, I am well acquainted with riding when it's 95 degrees with 90% humidity. The saving grace here is riding in the woods affords shade, something that may be missing in Fruita.

I should have stated in my original post, I'll have my 8 year and wife (who doesn't ride) in tow, so I need to visit a town with interesting stuff for them to do.

Is there XC riding in Crested Butte?

While we're in Colorado we'll be staying primarily with friends in Denver. I just wanted to venture out and ride some great trails. I also want them to see Arches and at least a little of Moab, although I know it's going to be scorching hot.

Tigers love pepper...
    Plenty of riding in CB and the lower temps will definitely add to the enjoyment for all. While GJ/Fruita area has more "stuff" to do based on town size, summer in the mountains is a great choice for the family.

I live in GJ and I would probably rather be riding in CB right now if I had the choice. Need to take the camper up there one of these weekends!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Would a hardtail be ok in CB?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    A hardtail will be fine in CB. It's generally less chunky than Fruita/GJ.

In terms of things for your family to do, neither CB nor GJ are that great on urban amenities although there are a few "city" things to do in GJ, e.g. Dinosaur Museum, Math and Science Center. CB has better boutique shopping but its not pitched towards kids. Both have decent parks with playgrounds, etc,... You're probably better off in CB there since it will be cool enough in the middle of the day to enjoy them. In CB you could just drive to a creek somewhere on public land instead of a park.
    Last edited by davidcollins; 06-23-2013 at 08:23 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by davidcollins View Post
    In CB you could just drive to a creek somewhere on public land instead of a park.
    Yea, mostly outdoor type stuff to do here in CB. A few nice waterfall hikes (oh be joyful and judd falls), playing out near the gunsite pass bridge on the slate river is always fun. The children's museum and the adventure park up on the mountain are good for kids. There's mini golf, a bungee tampoline, playground and the new thing is the bag jump. The zip line is also fun for kids + adults. There's also a candy shop + small arcade at the sweet spot on the mountain as well.