Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    Except when I'm driving
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    170

    Strava Dorks shortcutting trails rant

    Has anyone ridden Kessel lately? I came back to visit Fruita since I moved away last September and went to ride some 18 road on Sunday since it was so nice out and cool, decided to ride up Kessel since there was hardly anyone there and that trail has been shortcutted to hell. There was some pink tape put up in different spots to try and stop the madness, but then when I came back after a few loops and rode down Kessel one of the tapes had already been broken off, just during the time I was there. My guess is this is due to Strava Dorks. I fear that the popular this program gets with mountain bikers the more trails are going to run into problems like this...how about we keep Strava on the road where it belongs? No one cares how fast you road down Kessel, absolutely no one except for maybe some other Strava loser on the interwebs that you have never even met before. If you wanna race, do a race and man up.
    I'm bored and at work or else I would be riding

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    367
    wow that sucks, might not necessarily be strava people though. I don't know anybody that really uses strava here in CB, seems to mostly be a front range phenomenon...regardless though, super lame.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    182
    why do you think it's a strava racer? any proof? or do you just not like people who do the strava thing? i don't do strava, i know a few who do, and they stick to the trail.

    i think it's all the people who don't live here, the people who ride up kessel and down prime cut and when you try to nicely explain they are going the wrong way, they say "yeah? since when?" and keep on going. the people who ride from their campsite to kessel and make all the extra trails that shouldn't be there. the people who don't have any regard for the trails, they just know they are here to ride and will ride wherever they feel like it.

  4. #4
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,833
    I'd blame all the numbskulls for cutting the trails, not Strava. Do some numbskulls use Strava? Probably. I'm up there a lot and see much more distressing trail etiquette from new and novice riders than experienced riders. I wouldn't go so far as to say I'm a trail-nazi, but I do say a few words to just about everyone I see failing at trail etiquette - so much so that I've recently been given the nickname "The Regulator" by my friends. I think they're a little embarrassed sometimes.

    That said, I did tongue-lash someone I know was "Strava-ing" on Prenup and I watched cut the switchback roller.

    But anyway, I like Strava and I use it to train - so I care how fast I'm riding Kessel, if you don't that's okay. I don't care if someone gets in my way, Strava is not a race - but if no one else is out there and I manage to put together a nice section of trail, I like to see the time.

    FWIW, people have been going around the rock slab on Prime Cut and skipping the tight tree-ed section on upper Kessel long before there ever was Strava.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

  5. #5
    Colorado
    Reputation: Drop the Seat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    426
    Seriously, Kessel? That's one of the easiest DH trails on earth. If you want to start timing yourself on the DH buy an 8" travel bike and enter an MSC race.

    Strava is only cool if you keep it to yourself and maybe share a map or two, but when you go publicly spewing all your 'stats' on the web, you = major nerd.

  6. #6
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,833
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat View Post
    Seriously, Kessel? That's one of the easiest DH trails on earth. If you want to start timing yourself on the DH buy an 8" travel bike and enter an MSC race.

    Strava is only cool if you keep it to yourself and maybe share a map or two, but when you go publicly spewing all your 'stats' on the web, you = major nerd.
    I'm a total nerd. Thanks!

    I actually do race. Believe it or not though, some people like to train before throwing down major bucks on race entries. I used to use a bar-mounted lap timer, now I use Strava.

    Would you guys prefer speed limits on all the trails to prevent people from actually trying to go fast?

    I find it amusing that people are quick to blame experienced riders for trail abuse, not newbs or other users. I guess it's not okay to be upset at couples on tandems, people with disabilities on hand-cycles, and toddlers on pixie bikes for widening trails. Also, it's generally not racer-boys running me off the trail when I'm climbing Prime Cut - it's blue-jean wearing, college bros on 10-year-old hardtails without functioning brakes. I can only assume how they "ride" Kessel.

    It's like the whole "guns don't kill people..." thing - Strava doesn't widen trails, clueless people that don't "get it" widen trails.

    But, I'll say the whole trail-widening thing doesn't really bother me. It comes from a variety of factors, and there is little that can be done to prevent it. For years we used to block off the shortcut around the Prime Cut rock, but it'd always get moved - or people would just go even wider around the trail. Eventually I just gave up. At the end of the day, it just means people are using the trails and that's a good thing.

    I'm sure the trail cutting and widening issue is further exacerbated by the drought we're having. There really was no winter, so no rest for the trails, and that area never "greened-up" this spring. It's been so dry, I'm sure that makes any off-trail activity even more noticeable.
    Last edited by NoahColorado; 06-12-2012 at 02:26 PM.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

  7. #7
    2006 Yeti AS-X
    Reputation: Lawson Raider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,676
    What is Strava?
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

  8. #8
    RYD W/ FLO
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    338
    I agree with Noah. It's impossible to blame one type of rider for trail destruction. 18 Rd. has been getting hammered for years and things are certainly exacerbated by the severe lack of moisture we've seen recently. Everyone of us plays a destructive role. But how many play a regenerative role?

    Diminishing trail conditions are a result of a general lack of respect and mis-use of the trails. Remember back when the trails were fresh and the O.G. Fruita riding/trail building community was force feeding "Keep singletrack single!" down everyone's throats that showed up? I do. That was the riding community I grew up with and trail etiquette is always at the forefront of my mind thanks to these guys and girls. For years, Fruita stayed below the radar and the trails stayed tight. Even when a moto or quad went for a roost on a trail, the dedicated trail dogs were out there the very next day with McClouds repairing the damage.

    Today, 18 Rd. is a different place. If you don't like what trail use has done to the trails, do something about it. Otherwise quit complaining, you are just a part of the problem, as we all are.

  9. #9
    KgB
    KgB is offline
    SNGLSPD
    Reputation: KgB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    934
    Haha, "why don't we keep Strava on the road where it belongs?"

    To the OP-are you an angry SSer perhaps?

    Right on Noah I agree 100%
    I've been inside too long.

  10. #10
    Airborne Flight Crew
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,985
    riding UP Kessel?
    Airborne Flight Crew

    Jerry Hazard – website

  11. #11
    zrm
    zrm is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,595
    The curves on Kessel has been getting short cut for years. There seems to be less and less respect and restraint in the MTB community.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GTscoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,150
    Strava wont recognize the trail if you cut too far off. Segments are based on GPS coordinates, even on the road I've had segments not register because I was on the wrong side of the lane at the beginning or end of a segment.

    Sucks people are cutting corners but blame the hacks not the e-racers.

  13. #13
    GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Reputation: NoahColorado's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,833
    The irony of being called a "Strava dork" and "Major nerd" then getting negative rep (from this thread) on an internet forum is almost too much to handle.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    112
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post

    I find it amusing that people are quick to blame experienced riders for trail abuse, not newbs or other users.
    I've seen a lot of experienced riders riding off trail lately; you know, guys wearing team kits and whatnot. Both front range and western slope It bothers me more when an experienced rider does it than a newb.

    And yes, I do care about the trails being widened. I also care about hikers seeing riders off trail and then using such examples to try to exclude bikers from trails.

    Obey proper trail etiquette, be vocal to those who dont. Thanks

  15. #15
    RYD W/ FLO
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    338
    Quote Originally Posted by alleygrinder View Post
    And yes, I do care about the trails being widened. I also care about hikers seeing riders off trail and then using such examples to try to exclude bikers from trails.

    Obey proper trail etiquette, be vocal to those who dont. Thanks
    How about volunteering for COPMOBA's Monday night trail maintenance? All yelling at someone on the trail does is piss them off and widen the trails even more in spite. A polite "please don't ride like that" never seems to work either. A polaski and some smart rock work can have a lasting impact however.

  16. #16
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation: Boyonadyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,922
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    The irony of being called a "Strava dork" and "Major nerd" then getting negative rep (from this thread) on an internet forum is almost too much to handle.

    I'm confused, what is higher... Total Nerd, or Major Nerd? Either way, it sounds like you are in a very a high position.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    263
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy View Post
    I'm confused, what is higher... Total Nerd, or Major Nerd? Either way, it sounds like you are in a very a high position.
    Those nerds are a threat to our way of life.

  18. #18
    Paste eater
    Reputation: Jwind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    3,452
    Who cares. The nice thing about Strava is if you feel like giving a segment some extra credence, then its there for your efforts. Otherwise, it gives you a nice GPS map for latter and logs you miles.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,896
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiPavement View Post
    Has anyone ridden Kessel lately? I came back to visit Fruita since I moved away last September and went to ride some 18 road on Sunday since it was so nice out and cool, decided to ride up Kessel since there was hardly anyone there and that trail has been shortcutted to hell. There was some pink tape put up in different spots to try and stop the madness, but then when I came back after a few loops and rode down Kessel one of the tapes had already been broken off, just during the time I was there. My guess is this is due to Strava Dorks. I fear that the popular this program gets with mountain bikers the more trails are going to run into problems like this...how about we keep Strava on the road where it belongs? No one cares how fast you road down Kessel, absolutely no one except for maybe some other Strava loser on the interwebs that you have never even met before. If you wanna race, do a race and man up.
    If you are trying to best the record of 12-parsecs, you may have to cut corners.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    38
    Just wanted to add my $.02 here... I know Noah and I support his stance as well as agree with his comments. I also use the hell out of Strava for training (on the trails as well as the road). Like Noah, if I encounter another trail user on a “segment” I am not going to be a ****** and yell “Strava!” or anything… I will slow down and be respectful… the trail will be there tomorrow and life is too short to be a d*ck. I race for a local team/shop and I am pretty hard to miss in my kit,yes, I am a “high-poster” lycra clad XC racer who wears his team kit when training as to promote and advertise the great local shop that supports me. Furthermore, I think if you are an ethical trail user it shouldn't matter whether you use Strava, a stop-watch or a sun-dial to time your rides, track your progress and see how you stack up against others. I have lived in GJ for 30 years, I have seen the ebb and flow of mountain biking and the genesis of amazing trails. Training on the GJ/Fruita/Palisade trails makes for some strong, fast and talented locals. Since I have lived here for three decades and hope to live here for much, much longer, I have a vested interest in the integrity of local trails and the integrity of the trail users. I know these trails better than most and there are still sections I have to walk on occasion. I don't believe in making "cheater" lines around difficult features... Instead, I believe in riding difficult features or at least attempting them until I can ride them or making it some of the time and being humbled the rest of the time. Regardless of whether you are "Strava-ing" a run or you don't use, care about, or even know what Strava is... when you cut a switch-back or ride around something with the intent to either have a faster run or to avoid challenging yourself then you are an irresponsible, ignorant, unethical, cowardly, incompetent, undeserving sorry excuse for a mountain biker! Ride the effing line people! If you live here or frequent the Western Slope, volunteer on a trail building day! I don’t care if you ride a fixie, SS, 10” DH, 18lb hard-tail, unicycle, Huffy or whatever the hell else you can ride down the trail under you own power… Sack-up and ride the trail as it was designed to be ridden. Line-cheaters are as bad as dopers in my book and I know that, for the most part, I am preaching to the choir here. Strava doesn’t kill trails… idiots kill trails!
    Last edited by spintheblackcircle; 06-15-2012 at 09:37 AM.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: cabra cadabra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    445
    HaHa! "Strava!" I like that. Seems like a Portlandia thing or something. Agree with your post spin. On here from NM since I plan to do Monarch Crest in a couple weeks. Looks like it will be GTG.
    nix that, livin la vida bandos is a good idea when you're on a Mojo HD

    "babies don't drink coors" - del norte

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    38
    Cabra- Enjoy the Crest! It is GTG fo' sho'!

  23. #23
    Flaccid Member
    Reputation: Boyonadyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,922
    Quote Originally Posted by spintheblackcircle View Post
    Just wanted to add my $.02 here... I know Noah and I support his stance as well as agree with his comments. I also use the hell out of Strava for training (on the trails as well as the road). Like Noah, if I encounter another trail user on a “segment” I am not going to be a ****** and yell “Strava!” or anything… I will slow down and be respectful… the trail will be there tomorrow and life is too short to be a d*ck. I race for a local team/shop and I am pretty hard to miss in my kit,yes, I am a “high-poster” lycra clad XC racer who wears his team kit when training as to promote and advertise the great local shop that supports me. Furthermore, I think if you are an ethical trail user it shouldn't matter whether you use Strava, a stop-watch or a sun-dial to time your rides, track your progress and see how you stack up against others. I have lived in GJ for 30 years, I have seen the ebb and flow of mountain biking and the genesis of amazing trails. Training on the GJ/Fruita/Palisade trails makes for some strong, fast and talented locals. Since I have lived here for three decades and hope to live here for much, much longer, I have a vested interest in the integrity of local trails and the integrity of the trail users. I know these trails better than most and there are still sections I have to walk on occasion. I don't believe in making "cheater" lines around difficult features... Instead, I believe in riding difficult features or at least attempting them until I can ride them or making it some of the time and being humbled the rest of the time. Regardless of whether you are "Strava-ing" a run or you don't use, care about, or even know what Strava is... when you cut a switch-back or ride around something with the intent to either have a faster run or to avoid challenging yourself then you are an irresponsible, ignorant, unethical, cowardly, incompetent, undeserving sorry excuse for a mountain biker! Ride the effing line people! If you live here or frequent the Western Slope, volunteer on a trail building day! I don’t care if you ride a fixie, SS, 10” DH, 18lb hard-tail, unicycle, Huffy or whatever the hell else you can ride down the trail under you own power… Sack-up and ride the trail as it was designed to be ridden. Line-cheaters are as bad as dopers in my book and I know that, for the most part, I am preaching to the choir here. Strava doesn’t kill trails… idiots kill trails!
    My personal observation is a lot of idiots use Strava. They use it as a training tool to maximize speed and minimize their lap times. They are the same folks that skid huck into corners trying to save time. They are also always too busy training to have time to volunteer one second of time to do trail maintenance of any kind, it would interfer with their intense training and racing schedule. Make of it what you will, those have been my observations time and time again, as long as I've been mountain biking. This also includes people in the mountain biking industry that mountain bike, I never, ever see them doing trail maintenance. Just like I never see fly fishing guides doing anything for the resource they abuse for photo ops of their clients for bigger tips, at the expense of the fish.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    38
    Idiots are idiots... whether they have Strava or not. Sorry to hear about all of your negative experiences with industry types and Strava users.
    My personal observation about your post in general is that it contains gross generalizations about mountain bike racers, those involved in the industry as well as fly fishing guides. I hope you aren't right about all of the people that fit into these categories. I have met plenty of industry guys/gals that give time or donate profits to help build and maintain trails and jump parks... I have also met plenty of racers who do the same, not to mention take time to introduce young riders to this great sport through junior development programs. I can't speak for fly fishing guides as I have never used a guide to fly fish... Maybe I am an exception to the rule, but I do take exception with your implication that I am somehow lumped into one of the generalizations you have made here because I race and use Strava. Even if I was totally killing it on a segment I wanted to have a PR on, I would, as stated in my post above stop and or slow down for other users (without skidding or skid-hucking around them). Besides, I like to push myself for PR's on climbs more than descents so... If someone is on the side of the trail I am going to stop and ask if they have everything they need or if they need help. Five or ten minutes out of my training ride isn’t going to come back to haunt me down the line-
    We do, I believe agree on one thing though. Abusing trails and being an idiot trail-abuser is not a good thing. So there you go… some common ground.
    I fear that if we get to a point where there are more jaded mountain bikers than enthusiastic, ethical and optimistic mountain bikers that Strava will be the least of our worries.
    If you go out and ride and know with confidence that you are not a part of the problem and that you are doing your best to educate others on ethical trail use and volunteering to help out then I say good for you! Without the trails we don't have this great sport and without this great sport... well I don't want to imagine a world without it-
    Randy- I hope you had and or are going to have a great ride today and this weekend as well!

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by alleygrinder View Post
    I've seen a lot of experienced riders riding off trail lately; you know, guys wearing team kits and whatnot. ...
    the clothes you wear have absolutely nothing to do with your level of experience. anyone with $200 can buy team kit and look the part. experience comes from time. i've seen plenty of people with kit who can't ride a bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •