mtbr member
    May 2012

Stay in Fruita or GJ?

We are coming to the area next week for riding. 3 girls, 2 dogs. Have options to stay at cheap motel (H motel) in Fruita. Or Residence Inn in GJ.

We are intermediate riders, have truck, looking for 3-4 hours rides (about 15mi). would love to be able to go from hotel, but okay to drive to trail heads. Dogs will join us on as many rides as possible. Will eat out/go out probably one evening, otherwise will cook/stay in. We are in town for 3-4 days (go to Moab on day 4).

which town would you recommend staying in? We all come from a small quaint ski town, with decent vibe (Fernie BC).

thanks!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Fruita is closer to more riding like Kokopelli area, 18rd, Rabbit Valley and Westwater. GJ is closer to Lunch Loops some of which is suitable for intermediate level riders, but a lot of it is pretty technical. There is other stuff in the area but those are the main riding spots. If you only plan on eating out a couple times Fruita is sufficient but doesn't have near the variety of restaurants ands bars as GJ.

I'd also be careful with the dogs. Water is very limited no matter where you go and the rock can be very sharp, not to mention cactus if they roam off the trails.

mtbr member
    Even from downtown Fruita, it would be a pretty long road ride to any of the trail heads. You'll probably end up driving to where you're riding, and if that's the case then it doesn't really matter where you stay. Fruita and GJ are only about 10 minutes apart on the freeway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fruita

Fruita is pretty quiet but a really cute fun town IMO. The funner trails are all out in fruita area (sorry GJ). I would vote fruita. I hope to get out these in a couple of weeks with my GF.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    You might also want to look at staying at the Wine Country Inn in Palisade or the Two Rivers Winery in Grand Junction.

mtbr member
    When not camping I always like the Hampton Inn in GJ. Mostly because it's downtown. I really like the option to walk around town to grab a beer, coffee or dinner.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    Fruita is pretty quiet but a really cute fun town IMO. The funner trails are all out in fruita area (sorry GJ). I would vote fruita.
    I would agree that Fruita (18 road) would be more fun for first-timers because it is less technical so you can just ride and not get out of your pedals. Lunch Loops (GJ) is more technical (but not overly difficult). Depending on your skill level, Lunch Loops is alot more fun the second time (some may find it easy right from the start) around which is why some locals may prefer GJ over Fruita.

I may be speaking for myself, but I think living in GJ forces your riding taste to the slower, grinding style (Lunch Loops/Bangs Canyon/Palisade). For a first-timer, one may want to look for speed and flow instead.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    You are going to drive either way, so stay at the nicer hotel which is the residence inn by far.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    i would stay in fruita. look at the balanced rock motel, they are bike friendly and have kitchenettes and are the least expensive in town, also clean. Fruita has the hot tomato, aspen st coffee, suds brothers brewery, and munchies to eat at.

as stated, junction has the really good food. the best food going is bin 707, there is also nepal restaurant, and dream cafe. all excellent places to eat. Grand Junction is only about 15-20 minutes drive away, so if you are going to eat out only once or twice, stay in fruita ..

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dose View Post
    When not camping I always like the Hampton Inn in GJ. Mostly because it's downtown. I really like the option to walk around town to grab a beer, coffee or dinner.
    FWIW, there's a newish Springhill Suites right across the street from the Hampton Inn on Main St in GJ.

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    Fruita is closer to Moab too
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fruita

I have stayed at the Balanced Rock, nice inexpensive place. I recommend Pancho Villa restaurant for breakfast too. Lots of local color.

KgB
    SNGLSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    I have stayed at the Balanced Rock, nice inexpensive place. I recommend Pancho Villa restaurant for breakfast too. Lots of local color.
    ile

Pancho's has been closed down for a while,

For good eats,we have the Hot Tomato of course, two solid Mexican and one Chinese restaurant, the Brew pub, (well they have good beer anyway).and a few others.
    Fruita is also closer to rainy day riding and not as much traffic. you will be driving to the trail heads wherever you stay.
    Have fun
    I've been inside too long.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    any one stayed at the H motel? Booked online so it is 10$ less/night than Balancing Rock and they have a bbq for use. Reviews seem a little better for BR over H though.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Dayum. Pancho's closed down? This makes me sad...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cleopatra999 View Post
    any one stayed at the H motel? Booked online so it is 10$ less/night than Balancing Rock and they have a bbq for use. Reviews seem a little better for BR over H though.
    the H used to be a bit sketchy, they just renovated, so they are a lot nicer now. i think the same people, family, whatever, own both. the H is conveniently located a stone's throw from Judy's restaurant, great breakfast.

Aspen st coffee is still the best coffee in town.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Shoot, Pancho Villa closed down? Too bad. I have not been to Fruita in a while.

Biker Boater Boarder
    Fruita is more quite and sleepy.....i stay in Fruita....want the big city then go to Denver or GJ! Try the Mexican place just a few block behind City Market its yummy after a long ride!
    Adios,
    "Chaco"

Lots of kids tell me they want to be firefighters when they grow up, I tell them they can't do both!