No Knuckle Crew

South Fork, CO Riding

Has anyone ridden around the South Fork area? My buddy has a free place to stay and we picked up a map from a local ski/bike shop this winter and it looks like there is quite a bit of trail out there. I am curious as to whether this is singletrack and if it is maintained at all. I know from riding motorcycles up there that there is some good terrain, but I am curious as to how far along they are on their bike trails.

We will probably go up and check it out after the snow melts this year, but I would like to know what the heck we are getting into. Thanks for the info.
    I like Texas, ain't it fine here!

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    I have never heard of any riding out that way.It is popular w/hunters though.Lot's of fs roads that fat texans love to pollute w/their texas wheelchairs!
    No bikes allowed in wilderness areas fyi...
    There is a bike shop that popped up in town last year.I dont know the name,but I am sure they know whats up w/the local scene.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There's some good riding down the hwy around Del Norte.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've ridden Lost Creek trails, further north past Creede. I'd recommend it. Also, you could ride the Colorado trail starting up at spring creek pass way past creede. It's remote riding, so be prepared.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hey lefty we have tons of stuff to ride just depends what you are looking for. When are you coming back up? as far as maintained trail not to much. anything that you ride moto on is good for mtb. NO?

No Knuckle Crew
    Thanks for the info guys. dadat40, you are absolutely correct about trail usage. I suspect that it will be late June before we get up there due to schedules and wanting the snow to melt off.

The trail map we have shows quite a bit of "snowmobile" trails that I think might be pretty good on the bike in warmer months too.

Shoulder, I have never heard 4 wheelers called a Texas Wheel Chair, but as a Texan who spends quite a bit of time in your fine state I absolutely love the term. That is great.

RIppling, can you direct me to more information about the Colorado Trail? that sounds kind of interesting too.

Finally, have any of you guys ridden into wheeler geological? I hiked in about 10 years ago and cant remember if it would be conducive for riding or not. Any thoughts on that?

Thanks again guys, and I promise to do my best at not being an obnoxious tourist.
    I like Texas, ain't it fine here!

mtbr member
    You might give the trails at Penitente Canyon a try too. That's up north by La Garita. Once you clear the climbing area the trails are more singletrack.

http://www.sangres.com/colorado/riog...entecanyon.htm

Caution: If you bring a Jack Russell Terrier be aware that they can overdose on the abundant mouse population and throw up in your tent.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Lefty the wheeler ride is a good one 28mile out and back I believe. I'd be willing to show y'all round a bit if ya want .

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Lefty, the spring creek pass ride starts at the pass and heads west on the Colorado trail through Jarosa Mesa to Carson saddle. I didn't have a second shuttle vehicle, so I only rode to a nice overlook of Lake San Cristobal before the push up to 13,000 foot high Coney Summit (the high point of the entire 468 mile Colorado trail). I then rode back to spring creek pass. If I had a second vehicle, I would continue to Coney, then onward to the upper terminus of West Lost trail creek. I would descend this all the way down the Lost Trail creek campground, adjacent to Rio Grande reservoir. This is segment #'s 22 and 23 of the office Colorado trail guidebook until you drop down West Lost creek off of the Colorado trail. This is highly exposed alpine riding, not to be taken lightly!

Click on this link: http://www.otbmbc.com/epics/2006-CT/day17.shtml
    This ride report is what inspired me to check out this ride. This report is also why I suggest dropping West Lost creek (which I rode up on a different ride) rather than Pole creek.
    Last edited by rippling over canyons; 01-14-2010 at 06:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Stay away from Tewksberry Trail. It's been turned into loose dust by ATV's.
    Been wanting to hit the Penitente singletrack as the area is sweet and a rock climber's paradise.
    agmtb

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    Caution: If you bring a Jack Russell Terrier be aware that they can overdose on the abundant mouse population and throw up in your tent.
    Potentially the best advice ever dispensed on MTBR.com!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I have a place in SF but am just getting into MTBing. I was up there this past September elk hunting and I stopped in to look around the new bike shop (Alpine Cyclery I think) on the east side of town. Real nice guy who owns it. He did guided MTB tours. I believe he also shuttled MTB'ers to different trail heads. He also rented mountain bikes. He has a website you can find by googling bike shops in South Fork Colorado. Not a ton of information right now on his sight as it is ski season. There is contact info so you could call him and get a run down. I plan to take my MTB up there this summer and have him direct me into some of the better areas to ride. I know the SF/Creede area very well but never biked it but there are plenty of trails and old logging roads. Should be fun especially since you have a free place to stay.

Grams Light Bikes
    Lots of stuff around, but a bit hard to find...here was a thread over on the Front Range on the subject. I had a last great ride on Wheeler Geologic Area before the easy access trail became partially on Wilderness Area, extremely nice trail...no more for bikes, instead you get a crappy 4x4 trail that is 4 times as long.

Biking in San Luis Valley?

650b me
    Thanks for the link, Gram. Good info. My wife and I are looking for an off-the-beaten-path destination for the upcoming Labor Day weekend and the San Luis Valley sounds perfect. We'll go with an adventurous spirit. Looking forward to exploring the area.

Anyone care to cherry-pick say, the two "best" trails for mountain biking in the area? Nothing too hard, with my wife in tow. Thanks!

Grams Light Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy
    Thanks for the link, Gram. Good info. My wife and I are looking for an off-the-beaten-path destination for the upcoming Labor Day weekend and the San Luis Valley sounds perfect. We'll go with an adventurous spirit. Looking forward to exploring the area.

Anyone care to cherry-pick say, the two "best" trails for mountain biking in the area? Nothing too hard, with my wife in tow. Thanks!
    Call Andy of ampierce bikes, he lives in Del Norte and can hook you up with the best trails?

http://www.ampeircecycles.com/contact.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Pinatente Canyon

Quote Originally Posted by golden boy

The trail in that area I wish to explore in that area is Penatente. It's just before you enter the rock climbing canyon, which is a sweet walk, also.
    agmtb

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Deep creek. Trail off of hiway 149 , continental divide trail at summit of Wolfe creek pass , some good dessert stuff east of del norte

Adventurous Hacker
    Jul 2004

Piling on for Penitente . . .

I just hit it for the first time a couple weeks ago. The A loop is fantastic! It's a great "out and back" loop--that is a loop you ride and when you complete it, you ride it again in the other direction--it's good enough to ride both ways!. I prefer doing the very fun techy A loop twice to doing the A loop and then the relatively boring B loop. If you only ride A loop one way, CCW is best, although you may curse the climb at the start. don't worry, it's not too long.
    All other things are rarely equal . . .

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

South Fork mountain biking

We have tons of great riding here in South Fork, CO! Check out www.southforktrails.com