mtbr member

Snow line on June 1, 2013?

Guesses on highest elevation of open singletrack during the first week of June?

Beginning to plan a week on the bike and looking for guidance on what parts of the state will be best in early June.

mtbr member
    It really depends, but down here in the SW corner I'd guess in the 9k-10k range. Early June is *normally* just before things really break open in the 11-12k range.
    '11 Trek Superfly 29er SS

mtbr member
    North facing slopes will hold snow until July 4 or later above 9000'. If our winter is "normal", and it is already below normal, you are planning for a vacation at the wrong time of year.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I'm going to go out on a limb with this one and say 6500'.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb with this one and say 6500'.
    Dude, come on, is that like telling people that Limon is great for mountain biking?

Quote Originally Posted by TerryHowe View Post
    It really depends, but down here in the SW corner I'd guess in the 9k-10k range...
    Around here in Salida that's more or less true. We have some little micro-climates here, so it varies a little. And of course level of snowpack and how much snow/moisture there is in the Spring. There are some rides that top out at 9,000 around here that are totally dry by mid-May, one that I've never seen holding snow after mid-April. The Colorado Trail between highway 50 and Cottonwood Creek near Buena Vista is typically dry by no later than June 10, and it has several sections that are a little over 10K. I typically can ride up to 11,000 foot Marshall Pass and down the Silver Creek and Rainbow Trails by June 10-20. On that ride I may encounter some patchy soft snowdrifts, but nothing that takes more than half a minute to get through.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Dude, come on, is that like telling people that Limon is great for mountain biking?
    What can I say? I'm an awesomeist.

RYD W/ FLO
    Mar 2007
    Should be fairly safe below 8000' There are plenty of places to ride without getting slogged by snow in June. Look at the I-70 corridor between Eagle, CO and the Utah state line. Great rides all up an down that strip and will be rideable my June 1st no problem. Durango also has some great lower elevation rides.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Last year I rode pass trail to engineer mtn trail first week of june. Trail starts are 10.6k (coal bank pass) with a high point close to 12k I think? There were intermittent snow fields on Pass trail, Engineer mtn trail was already dusty save for a few shady spots. This year snow pack is pretty similar to last. If conditions continue to be the same as last year come down to Durango for early high country riding. I also rode Molas pass through Engineer early June with only one snow field to hike, and one muddy spot to hike around. Of course we could get pounded with spring snow so we'll all have to wait and see.