mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smokefree riding near Durango?

I rolled out of the house and hoped to hit Kennebec to town, but the smoke from the Mancos fire looked too thick.....so I improvised and then rolled out toward Hermosa but it looked even worse.....continued on up 550 and when I got to Shalona it looked like Purg may be just as bad so I rolled over to Missionary Ridge Road and came down Stevens. Stevens was a great descent and mostly smoke free, but hotter than hell.

How are the skies up even higher - like Molas/Coal Bank area? Any reports?

mtbr member
    Bolam Pass to Blackhawk Pass got worse as you got back towards Hermosa Park.
    A lot of smoke to be seen off in the distance.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I rode pass trail to deer creek yesterday no smoke. It all depends on what direction the wind is blowing at any given time though.

Speaking of Steven's, I just heard Haflin is totally clear of blow downs now incase you didn't know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    I rode pass trail to deer creek yesterday no smoke. It all depends on what direction the wind is blowing at any given time though.

Speaking of Steven's, I just heard Haflin is totally clear of blow downs now incase you didn't know.
    What a difference a day makes....Sunday I rode Engineer-CT-Relay Creek and it was all clear. I could even see Kennebec off in the distance...

Rode Haflin last week...best shape I have seen it in. The lack of moisture has kept the undergrowth to a minimum and you can actually see the trail in the upper parts! But ride it early because it was hot as hell coming down late afternoon last week...

Members who have read this thread: 0