mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smokefree riding near Durango?

I rolled out of the house and hoped to hit Kennebec to town, but the smoke from the Mancos fire looked too thick.....so I improvised and then rolled out toward Hermosa but it looked even worse.....continued on up 550 and when I got to Shalona it looked like Purg may be just as bad so I rolled over to Missionary Ridge Road and came down Stevens. Stevens was a great descent and mostly smoke free, but hotter than hell.

How are the skies up even higher - like Molas/Coal Bank area? Any reports?

mtbr member
    Bolam Pass to Blackhawk Pass got worse as you got back towards Hermosa Park.
    A lot of smoke to be seen off in the distance.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I rode pass trail to deer creek yesterday no smoke. It all depends on what direction the wind is blowing at any given time though.

Speaking of Steven's, I just heard Haflin is totally clear of blow downs now incase you didn't know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slimat99 View Post
    I rode pass trail to deer creek yesterday no smoke. It all depends on what direction the wind is blowing at any given time though.

Speaking of Steven's, I just heard Haflin is totally clear of blow downs now incase you didn't know.
    What a difference a day makes....Sunday I rode Engineer-CT-Relay Creek and it was all clear. I could even see Kennebec off in the distance...

Rode Haflin last week...best shape I have seen it in. The lack of moisture has kept the undergrowth to a minimum and you can actually see the trail in the upper parts! But ride it early because it was hot as hell coming down late afternoon last week...