Thread: Silverton?

mtbr member
    May 2008

Silverton?

Is there's much riding in Silverton? I would love to have some info before I pick a trail that looks good on the map and go exploring again.

I know there used to be DH trails at the resort. Is there any riding left at the resort?

Paste eater
    I have no idea. Please report back though. Preferably with pics

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Too bad the DH scene didn't blow up there. Silverton was legit!

SILVERTON MOUNTAIN BIKE VIDEO - YouTube

I explored the Boulder Gulch trail and it just disappeared from a lack of use after a mile or so. Maybe I'll try the trail head close to town and do it as an out n back next time instead of trying to make a loop. I can't find any beta so I'll just have to get out there and exploref.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I went Heli skiing with Aaron last year and asked him. He said lift served didn't really pay out. He may cut a few trails in the future, but there's not a lot there right now?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So I explored around maggie Gulch. My map isn't up to date but I was able to find my way to the CDT. I made a loop of sorts using an off the map trail poorly marked with random cairns that wrapped around a bowl before intersecting the CDT.

Has anyone rode the trails off Minnie Gulch, the next jeep rd down from Maggie?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Ice Lakes Trail up Mineral Creek Road. Fun downhill.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PITA View Post
    Ice Lakes Trail up Mineral Creek Road. Fun downhill.
    I've hiked up there. I thought it was hiking only?

I recently did the rico silverton trail a few miles past Ice Lakes. rico silverton to engineer to white creek to rolling pass then back down rico was a pretty fun ride.

boxcar
    Dang, would be so sick if Silverton opened again. Had some great days there when they were runnin the lift a few years back! One of my best rides there though was across the valley from the lift. Took a narrow dirt road(just down from the lift) up in a truck. Went down a very steep scree slope(no trail). Couldn't see the valley floor until had gotten well past the commitment point. Lots of sliding and what sounded like plates breaking. Brakes didn't exist. Had to try and corner into the uphill to scrub speed. find your comfort zone, hang on til the green valley floor below, as far over the rear wheel as can be. approaches quick- G-out! And can use your brakes again and gather thoughts. Then we rode down a creek bed that kinda seemed like a trail. Finished on the road and pedaled maybe 3/4 mile back to the parking lot at the lift/tent. That was fun. Never done anything like that before and haven't since. I feel fortunate for the riding companions that day as they were familiar with the area. Have thought a lot about getting back down there to do that run specifically.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtn.skratch View Post
    Dang, would be so sick if Silverton opened again. Had some great days there when they were runnin the lift a few years back! One of my best rides there though was across the valley from the lift. Took a narrow dirt road(just down from the lift) up in a truck. Went down a very steep scree slope(no trail). Couldn't see the valley floor until had gotten well past the commitment point. Lots of sliding and what sounded like plates breaking. Brakes didn't exist. Had to try and corner into the uphill to scrub speed. find your comfort zone, hang on til the green valley floor below, as far over the rear wheel as can be. approaches quick- G-out! And can use your brakes again and gather thoughts. Then we rode down a creek bed that kinda seemed like a trail. Finished on the road and pedaled maybe 3/4 mile back to the parking lot at the lift/tent. That was fun. Never done anything like that before and haven't since. I feel fortunate for the riding companions that day as they were familiar with the area. Have thought a lot about getting back down there to do that run specifically.
    sounds fun!