Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tom93R1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    489

    Sidewinder Trail in Olathe

    http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...rail%20Map.pdf

    I will be visiting my parents in Olathe in a couple weeks (Aug 3-10) and will likely bring my mountain bike. Conveniently this Sidewinder trail is just a couple miles away. Anybody have any recent experience on it? Most reviews I found were from a couple years ago when it was first built and the main complain was that it was too soft.

    A couple years ago I rode a motorcycle on the single track right on the rim from Ute Rd to Bobcat Rd, that was quite technical for a motorcycle but likely wouldn't be bad on a bicycle. Was thinking of making a loop of that with Sidewinder, probably start at Ute Rd heading South on Sidewinder, then North back on that rim trail. That would probably put me about 15-20 miles.

    Any opinions on this route? thanks!

  2. #2
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1 View Post
    http://www.blm.gov/pgdata/etc/medial...rail%20Map.pdf

    I will be visiting my parents in Olathe in a couple weeks (Aug 3-10) and will likely bring my mountain bike. Conveniently this Sidewinder trail is just a couple miles away. Anybody have any recent experience on it? Most reviews I found were from a couple years ago when it was first built and the main complain was that it was too soft.

    A couple years ago I rode a motorcycle on the single track right on the rim from Ute Rd to Bobcat Rd, that was quite technical for a motorcycle but likely wouldn't be bad on a bicycle. Was thinking of making a loop of that with Sidewinder, probably start at Ute Rd heading South on Sidewinder, then North back on that rim trail. That would probably put me about 15-20 miles.

    Any opinions on this route? thanks!
    I rode it in I think April. It was, I guess, amazing? Would that be the word?

    I parked at the BLM parking area right adjacent to Olathe (Falcon Road?), then rode the Peach Valley dirt road north to the H-75 road, up that to the trailhead. Then I rode Sidewinder all the way back north-to-south to the Eagle Valley Trail (which is a crazy cool descent) and back out.

    The day I did it A) I was alone, B) the weather was looking a little sketchy [super windy, overcast, spitting a little rain now and then], C) never got going until around noon so I was worried about losing the light. So I was kind of biting fingernails all day.

    It was intense. I think I GPS'd about 20 miles of singletrack. But it took me like 4 hours just on the singletrack part. Super technical. No easy miles.

    Then I popped out onto the road after descending Eagle Valley and was disoriented. I was pretty sure I was on Peach Valley somewhere north of the parking area, so I struck off south. I was really tired and I just didn't remember why I should be needing to climb so much. Turns out I had come out on the road the the Chukar Trailhead. I got almost to the damned trailhead before I figured out I must have fscked up. Then I rode back to the Eagle Valley TH and immediately saw where I should have gone. From the TH I was 5 minutes to the truck.

    But yeah, it's cool. Very cool. Beautiful. Technical. You likey.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tom93R1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    489
    Thanks! Technical is good, sounds like this trail is a must.
    If you were to ride it again, would you do it the same way or would you change anything?

  4. #4
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,209
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom93R1 View Post
    Thanks! Technical is good, sounds like this trail is a must.
    If you were to ride it again, would you do it the same way or would you change anything?
    Same way. No question. Lots of it would be fun both directions, but when you start at the north end there's a sweet traverse that's really climbable, and when you finish out on the Eagle Valley Trail at the south end it's just like a nice cherry on top of the cake. Definitely want to finish with that.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tom93R1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    489
    Cool, then I will go with your route. thanks again!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tom93R1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    489
    So I went for the ride yesterday but due to logistics I decided I would start out on the south end of the trail, ride up eagle valley and as far up sidewinder as I felt like and turn around. Well, eagle valley was a little more than I expected. There seems to have been some erosion creating a few technical obstacles and a 20 foot tall cliff at about the 1 mile mark


    Based on looking at other people's Strava data, I have a feeling this cliff is new in the last couple weeks. Either that or I am the only one who couldn't figure out how to ride right up it

    I put the bike about half way up, then climbed onto that ledge. Then I tossed the bike over the top of the ledge but was unable to get myself up. I had to climb back down and go about 100 feet back down the canyon to find a place I could get up and hike back to my bike. After going as far up Sidewinder as I wanted I took a side road back down to Peach Valley and down to the start of Eagle Valley. Once back I did go back up Eagle Valley just so I could go back down it. There were some very fun chutes in it!

    All in all, I think it was a good ride but I do wonder how similar this is to when you rode it.

  7. #7
    Agent of tang
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    682
    I could clean that.

  8. #8
    650b me
    Reputation: golden boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,033
    I'm confused...is this a canyoneering forum?

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Tom93R1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    489
    I would have cleaned that if I brought the bike with 290" wheels on it.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    74
    Just rode the northern portion, out and back, from Ute Trail to north trailhead and back yesterday with my wife. Our annual anniversary ride. This is a chunky, busy, very fun trail if you like this sort of riding. We both do. Some erosion from recent rain, it could use a bit of work in places, but overall, the tread was hard and fast. Crazy trail and landscape, a must do for most mountain bikers IMO.

    This trail has a following here in the Gunnison Valley and elsewhere, outside of Montrose/Delta/GJ, I'm sure. I wonder what the plan is for maintaining it? Will the BLM use motorized dollars and a BLM crew or will COPMOBA be involved? Gunnison Trails would be happy to collaborate on an annual weekend event to ensure that this gem remains just that. A campout of sorts? Riding, working, eating and drinking?

  11. #11
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,209
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnisonTrails View Post
    Just rode the northern portion, out and back, from Ute Trail to north trailhead and back yesterday with my wife. Our annual anniversary ride. This is a chunky, busy, very fun trail if you like this sort of riding. We both do. Some erosion from recent rain, it could use a bit of work in places, but overall, the tread was hard and fast. Crazy trail and landscape, a must do for most mountain bikers IMO.

    This trail has a following here in the Gunnison Valley and elsewhere, outside of Montrose/Delta/GJ, I'm sure. I wonder what the plan is for maintaining it? Will the BLM use motorized dollars and a BLM crew or will COPMOBA be involved? Gunnison Trails would be happy to collaborate on an annual weekend event to ensure that this gem remains just that. A campout of sorts? Riding, working, eating and drinking?
    I rode it last fall after hearing about it from friends in Salida. I parked at the BLM parking lot at the east end of Falcon Road out of Olathe then rode all the way north on the Peach Valley Road and hit the trailhead at the northern terminus. Then I rode the full length from north to south. I highly recommend doing it that way. The finish out the Eagle Valley Trail is an awesome way to end it.

    I saw several signs that said it had been a youthcorps project of some kind. I think parts of it at least got built by a youthcorps group. Not sure if there would be any maintenance from whatever program funded that. I would be totally into joining a camp-and-work program with Gunny Trails. It is a really cool trail.

    When I was out there I saw maybe two other bikers and close to a dozen dirt bikers. Seems like finding the dirt bike group from over there to join in as partners would be a good idea.

    Awesome trail. Keeps you busy for sure. Not really any long cruising sections, just one tech challenge and/or steep climb/descent after another. Beautiful routing too.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: croatiansensation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    224
    Figured that I would weigh in on this thread since I rode the north side of Sidewinder this weekend (did an out and back of around 12 miles total). Both my brother and I were pleasantly surprised. Reasonable amounts of techie terrain with some really nice flow in places; plus, it was in perfect shape. You can really tell that the individual(s) who laid out the trail knew what they were doing. I will be riding Sidewinder every chance I get when visiting my Mom in Delta.

  13. #13
    Sockaholic
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,502
    Thread bump. Rode it last week with my son and a friend. Wow! absolutely loved it.

Similar Threads

  1. Balm Boyette Sidewinder Extension Trail
    By ProEdgeBiker in forum Southeast - GA, TN, AL, FL
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-06-2013, 04:34 AM
  2. K2 Sidewinder FS
    By bedheadben in forum Bike and Frame discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-01-2013, 11:05 AM
  3. Sidewinder trail today. (show and tell)
    By scotttenorman in forum Utah
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-13-2012, 06:10 AM
  4. sidewinder trail
    By slimat99 in forum Colorado - Western Slope
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-26-2011, 10:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •