mtbr member
    May 2008

sidewinder trail

I would love to hear from anyone that's rode the new sidewinder trail near Delta. How was it?

Jul 2009
    techy grindy longy

Bring your lunch.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by slope folk View Post
    techy grindy longy

Bring your lunch.
    me likey

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by slope folk View Post
    techy grindy longy

Bring your lunch.
    That's a bunch of y's

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Rode it last week from south to north (recommended). Start at the Eagle Valley TH and climb the slot-like canyon to the start. This trail gives it! All of the step ups are doable for the fit. Super fun descents through sandstone washes. Watch out for pinch flats! No one around on a Wednesday. Unmarked roads that cross the trail can be used to bail out if you don't want or can't ride the whole thing. Ute Trail road is about halfway (you'll recognize the road by a huge sign explaining organizations involved in making this). Recommend setting shuttle unless you like a demoralizing road ride back to the car. Slope Folk's description pretty much sums it up.
    Great trail!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    How is the trail looking for this weekend? Did it snow in Montrose earlier this week?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sawatchsplitter View Post
    Rode it last week from south to north (recommended). Start at the Eagle Valley TH and climb the slot-like canyon to the start. This trail gives it! All of the step ups are doable for the fit. Super fun descents through sandstone washes. Watch out for pinch flats! No one around on a Wednesday. Unmarked roads that cross the trail can be used to bail out if you don't want or can't ride the whole thing. Ute Trail road is about halfway (you'll recognize the road by a huge sign explaining organizations involved in making this). Recommend setting shuttle unless you like a demoralizing road ride back to the car. Slope Folk's description pretty much sums it up.
    Great trail!
    Thanks for the info! I'm assuming you get a bit more DH south to north? I've heard there's no long dedicated ups or downs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah, it seems like it would be more downhill S to N. No long ups or downs, but damn you'll feel like there was! Go do it and report back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I only moto it, but I don't think I'd bring my specialized enduro sl there. There are lots of steep ups and downs with a lot of rough trail. Don't go there expecting Fruita riding conditions. And don't be rude to the moto riders you will encounter. I only say this as a mountain biker first. I am usually appalled by my fellow mtn bikers attitudes towards dirtbikers. Their tags paid for a lot of the project, along with a lot of volunteer work from all trail users. Rant over

pusher of buttons
    It is actually more downhill from Ute rd to Eagle Valley. 1200 feet of ascent with 1800 descent. Once pass Ute heading North you have one dh section that might even it out but the Ute to Eagle will beat you down for just being over 11 miles one way.

We usually park in Eagle and ride up Peach Valley to Ute or Dinosaur etc and then come back sidewinder
    WTF

pusher of buttons
    We did have some guys ride it and come into the shop last week and they said it was fairly dry with snow patches.
    WTF

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Several weeks ago, I carried my rigid Stumpjumper up the Eagle canyon to assess snow conditions, and ended up riding the whole thing northbound on an inch of fresh. It's a fun snowbike, but managing tire pressure for traction vs. flat protection was difficult on my tubeless Ardent 2.4s. Anything off-camber was pretty much a guaranteed hike, and some of the slickrock sections were iced over. Despite that, it was singletrack snowbiking, and therefore a thing of intrinsic beauty.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sawatchsplitter View Post
    Yeah, it seems like it would be more downhill S to N. No long ups or downs, but damn you'll feel like there was! Go do it and report back.
    Will do. Yeah, short ups and downs beat me up more than long dedicated climbs into long DH's. I probably won't ride sidewinder until the spring.