DenverFatdog
    May 2006

Scott's Run Trail, N. of Steamboat, info please

Anyone know about a trail north of Steamboat called Scotts Run? Or also called Wyoming trail, Continental divide trail (#1101), as it seems all of them together make a big loop. I know how to get there, but need info on the trail itself. Such as is it a nice ride, ride it counterclockwise, experience level required, any turns I need to look for to stay on course? I have a map, but you know how they are. Thanks!!
    DenverFatdog

mtbr member
    I rode a great loop this last weekend parked just across Elk river at the end of the South fork/Burn ridgetrail, start by backtracking down seedhouse road to the start of Coulton Creek trail(1188?), up Coulton Creek to the Crossover trail, that links Coulton Creek to Scott's run, Ride Scott's run (N) to up Diamond park, in diamond park hook onto the Wyoming trail to decend back to seedhouse road, turn left (E) on seedhouse and go 1/2 mile turn right(S), cross the elk river again and climb 2 miles up the road to the Burn ridge trail, and follow it back to your car. about 25 milesof excellent singletrack.
    Hints:
    Coulton Creek trail crosses couple of logging roads and is easy to follow. Watch for the Crossover trail it's easy to miss, and once you crossover to Scott's run, turn north to get to diamond park. At the terminus of Scott's run you'll be on a forrest service road in a big burned and logged park, follow the road south/east, and look for the gate just past the trailhead signs pass thru the gate cross the creek to find the head of the Wyoming trail.

I like to do this ride clockwise, others do it "backwards" the loop is good either way. I generally avoid riding up scott's run from seedhouse road. Decending it from diamond park or accessing it from Coulton creek avoids lots of granny gear. Sunday with my wife the loop took about 3.5 hours, alone i can do it in about 2.5. Sorry I don't have accurate mileages for the turns, I do it from memory, and haven't looked at where the turns are in mileage for years.

I will nominate this loop up as some of the finest trail in the state. If you have a Garmin I can send you the route.

Cycling, FTW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker
    I will nominate this loop up as some of the finest trail in the state.
    Yeah, X2

Soooooo, all the horses buffed out Scotts Run rather than turning it into a trench?
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

mtbr member
    We didn't ride the lower section, but the upper Scott's run was in perfect shape. The mud was gone and the flowers are still going off up there.

DenverFatdog
    May 2006
    Thanks for this info!! I don't have a GPS, but I followed your description along with my map, and I think I'll be OK. We won't be doing the ride for another month anyway. I did the Coulton Creek loop once, but didn't combine with Scott's Run, so it should be good.
    DenverFatdog

DenverFatdog
    May 2006
    I forgot to ask you one more thing. On my map there's a trail, #1189, that runs along the west side of the north fork river. It basically runs parallel to the Wyoming trail, which is on the east side of the north fork river. They supposedly meet up in Diamond Park, looks like at a bridge. Do ya know anything about this trail?
    DenverFatdog

mtbr member
    It's the old road to diamond park, they rebuilt the road(Lost Dog) on the east side of the river to log the blowdown, and disconitnued use of the west road, it's an easier climb than the 1101 trail, it's two track, I havn't been on it in years 'cause the trail on the other side of the river is so good. It would be an easy out and back for a short ride. Lost dog is a gravel forrest road you could drive a honda civic up it.

Another sweet trail in those parts is the bottom of the trail to Three IslandLake, It's a short grunt up the WA boundary sign but the lower part is nice switchback truns that see little or no use and the trail rides like virgin track.

DenverFatdog
    May 2006
    Thanks again. I'll add the 3 Island trail onto the Southfork trail ride by taking the connector road between the two. Looks like a good weekend of riding coming up for us.
    DenverFatdog

mtbr member
    While your are up in NRoutt, you might look into the Nipple peak loop, it's up by Hans peak, another great ride. Views all the way to Wyoming.

http://www.routtcountyriders.org/mtn...ml#nipple_long

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    yesterday my dad & I rode these trails - we both went up 1101 from the Seedhouse trailhead 3.5 miles to ( across) the bridge. From there he returned via the 1189 & I went on up to the daimond park Trailhead where I picked up Scott's Run (1177) & took it back down. I was surprised that there was a lot more climbing to do on that than my topo map seemed to show. Not a complaint, it was an awesome trail. There's steep climbs & descents on 1177 whichever direction you take, but only a few spots where I got off the bike, most notably on a semi-exposed ridge fairly close to where I started. Could be fun stuff to try if one wasn't so far from help... There was one intersection on this trail that was not marked & confused me enough that I took the wrong one for a while thinking that I was at the intersection of 1181.1a, but I was not, it was some trail that wasn't on my map at all. Someone did mark a dead chunk of wood with "TRAIL" and an arrow pointing up the way I came, which is great if one is travelling the opposite direction as I, but didn't help to choose which of the two trails to take if one came from the one marked "TRAIL". My map said stay left, no trails go to the left. So I turned left there thinking that straight ahead was the 1181.1a that goes to the right. Once I got that straightened out it wasn't much further until I came to the 1181.1a crossover trail which was marked. Whichever way you take Scott's be sure to take the short spur over to see Hinman Lake.

Anyhow, all the trails were in great shape, dry & I definitely reccomend them. Some of the singletrack was worn deep enough that I kept hitting pedals on the sides of the trail, but that's minimal and seems hardly worth a mention. I did have to get one foot wet crossing Hinnman Creek on Scott's Run, but If I wasn't in a hurry to catch up with pops I could have tossed a couple rocks in to get all the way across dry.

This place needs an enema
    If you have a Garmin I can send you the route.
    Would love to see the .gpx file for this ride. Please send to info@lacemine29 dot com.

Cheers,

MC

DenverFatdog
    May 2006
    Your trail advise has been most welcome. If can offer any advice in return, just ask. I'm from Denver, and know most of the stuff within a couple hours of here, but also have ridden some other interesting areas (Gooseberry Mesa, North Rim Grand Canyon, Cedar Breaks Natl Monument area).
    DenverFatdog

DenverFatdog
    May 2006
    Thanks for this heads up on the trail confusion down by the 1177/1188.1a junction. You may have saved me some frostly looks by my riding companions.
    DenverFatdog

mtbr member
    (Gooseberry Mesa, North Rim Grand Canyon, Cedar Breaks Natl Monument area).

Been there too..
    For a real challenge check out the Grizzly/ Helena trail on the east side of the Mt Zircle wilderness, 35 miles of singletrack with a middle put in, some excellent views of north park, and rugged hike-a-bike followeed by mid-tech downhills. We rode the whole trail over the weekend, and it was 6-8hours for an experenced group of riders.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hints:
    Coulton Creek trail crosses couple of logging roads and is easy to follow. Watch for the Crossover trail it's easy to miss, and once you crossover to Scott's run, turn north to get to diamond park. At the terminus of Scott's run you'll be on a forrest service road in a big burned and logged park, follow the road south/east, and look for the gate just past the trailhead signs pass thru the gate cross the creek to find the head of the Wyoming trail.
    Glad to hear Scott's is riding well these days. I actually prefer it in the other direction. I'm thinking about adding on a couple bits and have some questions:

1. Diamond Park - never been in that section. I've seen the little parking area at the trailhead... but it seems there are at least two roads/trails forking off from that spot. Is there a sign that says 'Wyoming Trial' right there? That's what leads into Diamond Park? If you look on google earth, there seems to be a couple tracks that lead into Diamond from that spot.

2. Coulton Crossover. Descending Scott's south back down to Coulton's Crossover... I never saw the crossover trail, must have flown right by. How far to back track if I'm at the little spur trail that leads to the lake?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hints:
    Glad to hear Scott's is riding well these days. I actually prefer it in the other direction. I'm thinking about adding on a couple bits and have some questions:

1. Diamond Park - never been in that section. I've seen the little parking area at the trailhead... but it seems there are at least two roads/trails forking off from that spot. Is there a sign that says 'Wyoming Trial' right there? That's what leads into Diamond Park? If you look on google earth, there seems to be a couple tracks that lead into Diamond from that spot.

2. Coulton Crossover. Descending Scott's south back down to Coulton's Crossover... I never saw the crossover trail, must have flown right by. How far to back track if I'm at the little spur trail that leads to the lake?

Thanks!

Cycling, FTW!!
    Quote Originally Posted by chickenlegs

Thanks!
    Yeah chickenlegs, I'm with you on doing Scotts from east to west. The rock garden is more fun, but a few of the hills sure suck once you cross the creek.

1- Diamond park starts at that little parking lot just before the bridge and Seedhouse CG. The trail starts behind the gate at the lot and follows old Diamond Park road north for about 6 miles.
    For the past few years, Diamond park trail has been in better shape than the CDT for accessing Scotts Run, but I hear that the moto trail crew pulled some tread and widened a few narrow sections on 1101 (Wyoming Trail) so it might be in better shape this summer.
    Either trail will take you near the start of Scotts run.

2- Coulton creek is a really sweet descent if you happen to be doing a counter-clockwise loop of Scotts Run. Its definitely worth the ride down if you get a chance. The Crossover trail starts about a half mile up the hill north of the turn off for Hinman lake. Follow the Crossover trail for a mile or two and when you cross the logging road for the 2nd time you will be at the top of Coulton creek trail. Enjoy
    "When you pay $340 to do a 24 hour race you'll only have enough money to eat mustard sandwiches the rest of the year." -TD

Cycling, FTW!!
    While your are up in NRoutt, you might look into the Nipple peak loop, it's up by Hans peak, another great ride. Views all the way to Wyoming.

http://www.routtcountyriders.org/mtn...ml#nipple_long
    Bwaha ha ha, I actually saw mtb tracks on the west side of Nipple when I was up doing trail work on Burton & Oliver last week. It sure didn't look like much fun to me. However, Burton trail is absolutely incredible and would make for a great loop if you are a glutten for punishment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkoInTheBoat

1- Diamond park starts at that little parking lot just before the bridge and Seedhouse CG. The trail starts behind the gate at the lot and follows old Diamond Park road north for about 6 miles.
    For the past few years, Diamond park trail has been in better shape than the CDT for accessing Scotts Run, but I hear that the moto trail crew pulled some tread and widened a few narrow sections on 1101 (Wyoming Trail) so it might be in better shape this summer.
    Thanks Marko - I'm actually good on where to start from Seedhouse to get up to the start of Scott's. My question is about the Diamond Park section up to the Wilderness boundary. At the little parking lot just before the top of Scott's... there is a trailhead sign... but I seem to remember at least one trail and one other dirt road leading away from that sign. I just wasn't sure which one to take to get up to the winderness boundary. Know what I'm talking about?

Cycling, FTW!!
    Thanks Marko - I'm actually good on where to start from Seedhouse to get up to the start of Scott's. My question is about the Diamond Park section up to the Wilderness boundary. At the little parking lot just before the top of Scott's... there is a trailhead sign... but I seem to remember at least one trail and one other dirt road leading away from that sign. I just wasn't sure which one to take to get up to the winderness boundary. Know what I'm talking about?
    There is a lot going on in that little parking lot. The gated road leads into Diamond Park which is private property.

The 409 road (as you know) heads west a short distance before you come to the start of Scotts Run trail.

The ATV track that starts by the gate will take you to the CDT (North or south) and to the start of Encampment Meadows trail. This is the trail that will take you to the wilderness boundary, and beyond if you ditch your bike.

The Encampment meadows trail starts to the right of the sign and as you can see its overgrown. It gets better once you enter the wilderness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There is a lot going on in that little parking lot. The gated road leads into Diamond Park which is private property...

The ATV track that starts by the gate will take you to the CDT (North or south) and to the start of Encampment Meadows trail. This is the trail that will take you to the wilderness boundary, and beyond if you ditch your bike.
    Thanks! I'll be there (Glen Eden in Clark) Sept 23-29. Love the pic, will be seeking gold aspens - never been there that time of year! I will touch base closer to mid Sept to see if you're up for some riding/guiding.

The other big ride I want to do is Dumont to divide trail to mountain view to town (with maybe an out-and-back to upper FC falls thrown in).

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Encampment meadows trail starts to the right of the sign and as you can see its overgrown. It gets better once you enter the wilderness.
    I was right there a few weeks ago. I rode for a couple hundred yards on the faint trail, but as you said it is very overgrown so I turned around. I was bummed... also didn't realize the dirt road into Diamond Park was private property, I turned around at the sign that said it was so.

Also a little bummed that Scott's Run and the South Fork area seemed more roughed up from horses than I remember. A few short steeper sections that used to be fairly firm are all cut up and loose now.

On the good news side, 1101 from N Fork river back down to Seedhouse was cool... never ridden it because I thought it was for the ATVers. And the weather was damn near perfect. And the aspens were poppin. And the Boathouse is a nice addition to Yampa Street!

I somehow did not find the time ride the "new" trail near Pearl Lake that is on the new Sky Terrain map... how is it?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    It's the old road to diamond park, they rebuilt the road(Lost Dog) on the east side of the river to log the blowdown, and disconitnued use of the west road, it's an easier climb than the 1101 trail, it's two track, I havn't been on it in years 'cause the trail on the other side of the river is so good.
    Just an FYI, trail 1189 is probably 90% singletrack now. I agree that 1101 is more fun if going back down to Seedhouse.

a few 1189 shots...

Cycling, FTW!!
    Just an FYI, trail 1189 is probably 90% singletrack now. I agree that 1101 is more fun if going back down to Seedhouse.

Nice shots from 1189, theres 2 feet of snow down in diamond park now.

Did you see this stump on the side of the trail? I took this shot on 9/25

A few weeks ago I slashed off all the braided lines in the flat spots along 1189 to try to keep people on the elevated gravel tread. Hopefully next year it will be 98% singletrack.

Oh, and Peral lake trail is one of my favorite trails around. You can make an out and back/ loop by adding the Cutover trail and a descent down Coulton creek.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Did you see this stump on the side of the trail? I took this shot on 9/25

A few weeks ago I slashed off all the braided lines in the flat spots along 1189 to try to keep people on the elevated gravel tread. Hopefully next year it will be 98% singletrack.

Oh, and Peral lake trail is one of my favorite trails around. You can make an out and back/ loop by adding the Cutover trail and a descent down Coulton creek.
    Somehow missed that stump - that is a cool photo. Thanks much for your work on 1189, and for the scoop on the trail addition out by Pearl lake!