mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Salida trail conditions?

I heard there might be dry dirt over in Salida. Any truth to these rumors? Is it worth it to make the slog over from Crested Butte next weekend?
    I like to go fast.

www.edgnarly.wordpress.com

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    The low stuff on 'S' mountain is great right now. Sand dunes, unkle nazty, backbone, etc are all good to go. North backbone has some packed snow patches on the N slopes, but rideable and worthwhile. Prospector may still have a bit of snow but is rideable.

Little rainbow....looks snowy.
    Cottonwood....no, or at least not worth it
    Everything else, above 8000 feet still snowy.

It is totally worth an afternoon if you are in the butte and want to ride your bike on sunny singletrack. I wouldnt necassarily drive from denver for it.

Team Velveeta™

Cottonwood is medium

Quote Originally Posted by Deeps Elgnis View Post
    ...Cottonwood....no, or at least not worth it
    I rode Cottonwood yesterday. Worth it or not? I dunno, it wasn't awful.

Up top there was a good 4-8 inches of sugar snow in the shade. Shined on the first upper gulley because there were only two sets of bike tracks and it was hard to hold a line on flat ground. Took 181 to the intersection of 173. 173 had some 4-wheeler tracks on it, and it was mostly rideable until the last climb, which was HAB. Drop-in was mostly dry. First 2-3 miles of the descent had some moments, a little hard to keep the front wheel under control riding in 5" of snow on top of babyheads. But we rode every bit of it down from the kiln dablessly.

In a week of the weather we are expected to have, the snow will drop some but there's the threat of ice forming here and there.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'm contemplating coming over from the butte as well depending on the weather this week.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    did salida pick up any snow?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Yup, a few inches on the S mountain trails. Most of it quickly melting, south facing sections are clearing, but there's still an inch to three in the shade. Give it another day and we'll see what happens.

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    S mountain trails all good to go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Any snow?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    South facing slopes are clear . . . but the north facing sides are questionable. There's a bit of snow in the shade here even in town. Yesterday was overcast, today's bright and sunny. We'll see what it does. I'd hold off for at least a day, maybe two. Anybody else know more?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Knobandcoaster View Post
    South facing slopes are clear . . . but the north facing sides are questionable. There's a bit of snow in the shade here even in town. Yesterday was overcast, today's bright and sunny. We'll see what it does. I'd hold off for at least a day, maybe two. Anybody else know more?
    Sunday is supposed to be 53 degrees. sounds like good biking.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Are the trails clear?

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by sra1218 View Post
    Are the trails clear?
    FYI, they are in really good shape right now at least below 8,000 feet. I haven't heard about anybody riding Cottonwood since the series of snow storms we've had in the last 3 weeks or so.

SATURDAY will be a lousy day to make a trip here to ride. There is a big running event, the Run Through Time. There will be lots of runners on the trails. It will be disruptive. It is also likely to be snowing or raining, but the running event is a sure thing.

Sunday would be worth looking at. I'll try to remember to post info about whether we get new moisture or not.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Salida

Rode Salida today

North backbone: small patches of snow. Probably gone by the next day or two.
    Uncle Nazty: Dry
    Sand Dunes: Dry
    Backbone: Dry

Great riding

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by sra1218 View Post
    Rode Salida today

North backbone: small patches of snow. Probably gone by the next day or two.
    Uncle Nazty: Dry
    Sand Dunes: Dry
    Backbone: Dry
    After work ride last night was sweet. Total hero dirt. Between the moisture and the running event that happened while the moisture was falling, the trails are really in great shape.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I am looking at coming over to Salida area for Spring Break (March 23 - 27) and wanted to know if the trails over in Salida are opening up given the warm weather that has come thru?

Couple more questions: Is there a trail conditions link that I can check out? Where to go to get info on which rides to do? Is there any camping over there that I can hit up? Thanks.

mtbr member
    I was wondering the same. This is the most up-to-date report I've seen. Salida Bike Company - your Salida Colorado bicycle sales and service shop Mechanic-owned. | Trail Conditions

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by ploglet View Post
    I am looking at coming over to Salida area for Spring Break (March 23 - 27) and wanted to know if the trails over in Salida are opening up given the warm weather that has come thru?

Couple more questions: Is there a trail conditions link that I can check out? Where to go to get info on which rides to do? Is there any camping over there that I can hit up? Thanks.
    The local stuff is opening up nicely. Not any Rainbow Trail or Colorado Trail, but north of town there's lots of stuff that's either dry or will be in another week. If you're here for 4-5 days you will retrace your steps. You could also take a day and go up to Buena Vista and ride the Midland, I'm quite certain it's open or nearly so.

I have a little page with camping options here:

Where to Camp Close to Salida

Use at your own risk.

mtbr member
    Mid april, and what are the trails looking like now? Things in Santa Fe are really dry. Wondering about Monarch Crest? Sounds like S Mountain should be good to go.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by schraderlp View Post
    Mid april, and what are the trails looking like now? Things in Santa Fe are really dry. Wondering about Monarch Crest? Sounds like S Mountain should be good to go.
    still winter in CO...more snow this weekend. Salida got snow down in town just the other day. No Monarch Crested until July.

Team Velveeta™

Crest? In April? HAHAHAHAHA!!

Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    still winter in CO...more snow this weekend. Salida got snow down in town just the other day. No Monarch Crested until July.
    We got about an inch over night last night, but more importantly we got about 4" of slush early in the week and it didn't really get warm after that. By Saturday the trails below 8,000 (e.g. S-Mountain) might be semi dry. But there's been relatively lots of moisture in the last two weeks, and it hasn't been very warm. Supposed to warm up today and tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by schraderlp View Post
    ... Wondering about Monarch Crest?
    Wondering about the Monarch Crest in April is, well, absurd. It's a July-September ride almost any year. Even last summer when snow pack was extremely low, the Crest dried up and opened only about 20 days earlier than usual. That was mid-June. There was still snow, but not enough to keep you from riding.

With the snow we've gotten in the last three weeks, we're looking at average snowpack. Fourth. Of. July.

Picture of Monarch Pass as I went by on my way to Fruita last Friday:

It has snowed about another foot up there since then.

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    We got about an inch over night last night, but more importantly we got about 4" of slush early in the week and it didn't really get warm after that. By Saturday the trails below 8,000 (e.g. S-Mountain) might be semi dry. But there's been relatively lots of moisture in the last two weeks, and it hasn't been very warm. Supposed to warm up today and tomorrow...
    I'll revise this a little: the low trails near S-Mountain are good to go now. Hero dirt. In deep shade there are little bits of mud. Higher, I hear messy. Tomorrow? May be able to ride Cottonwood.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Rode BV yesterday and all the single track in the town park/Midland area was in great shape.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Rode BV yesterday and all the single track in the town park/Midland area was in great shape.
    I was thinking about coming down tonight or tomorrow morning to camp for a few days and ride a bit. I saw the Cottonwood Lake and Collegiate Peaks campgrounds. Any suggestions for camping/riding in the area right now? (coming down from Winter Park)

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba6388 View Post
    I was thinking about coming down tonight or tomorrow morning to camp for a few days and ride a bit. I saw the Cottonwood Lake and Collegiate Peaks campgrounds. Any suggestions for camping/riding in the area right now? (coming down from Winter Park)
    Here's a page I made up that might have some useful info.

Where to Camp Close to Salida | Southern Colorado High-intensity Zealots' Overtly In-Defatigable Epics

This weekend should be really nice here.