Salida Conditions

Printable View

• 11-28-2012
    Staircase
    Salida Conditions
    Is Rainbow rideable from bottom of Silver Creek to 285?

Bear Creek section of Rainbow?
  • 11-29-2012
    Deeps Elgnis
    Speculation.
    I live in Salida, but I have not been above 8000 feet on the S/W sid eoc the valley in a while.

This is purely speculation based on looking up their from town. I supose you could ride bear creek and the rainbow trail at silver creek. I think there would be a bunch of snowy icy patches on the first few miles of silver creek and as it is a lot of side-hill trail up there I would be tempted to pass on it.

Bear creek looks like it might be a go, but there will probably be a few snowy/icy patches up there.

The main reason I haven't been up there is I it would be really cold as the orientation of both of those trails sees little to no sun this time of year. And the stuff in town is dry and much warmer.

However the other trails around salida are great right now. All of the S mountain stuff, the little rainbow ( with kick ass new section) and cottonwood are riding really well and day time highs are in the 50's
  • 11-29-2012
    KonaEnduroJC
    Yes. Dry as a bone.
  • 11-30-2012
    TomP
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Deeps Elgnis View Post
    ...This is purely speculation based on looking up their from town. I supose you could ride bear creek and the rainbow trail at silver creek. I think there would be a bunch of snowy icy patches on the first few miles of silver creek and as it is a lot of side-hill trail up there I would be tempted to pass on it.

Bear creek looks like it might be a go, but there will probably be a few snowy/icy patches up there...

I plan to hit the Bear Creek section either tomorrow or Sunday. I'll report what I see.

But yeah, lower stuff and south-facing is stupid dry. Got some bits of trail that are getting banged up, deep braking bumps, beach sand, moon dust. I like riding from town in December, but it's getting a little ridiculous now.
  • 11-30-2012
    zrm
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    I plan to hit the Bear Creek section either tomorrow or Sunday. I'll report what I see.

But yeah, lower stuff and south-facing is stupid dry. Got some bits of trail that are getting banged up, deep braking bumps, beach sand, moon dust. I like riding from town in December, but it's getting a little ridiculous now.

Jeeze man, aren't you guys always talking about how great the "banana belt" is? ;)
  • 11-30-2012
    banks
    so dry yer disk brakes squeel
  • 12-01-2012
    Staircase
    Thanks for the responses. Will probably check out bear creek today and SMTs tomorrow. I guess if it's not going to snow this is the next best thing.