Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    72

    Salida Beta.. Calling Mr. T. Purvis

    Tom,
    My wife's maiden name is-was Purvis (yes she's still alive). Now to the relevant stuff. I'm headed your way (July 20ish), looking for (wife's request) for an improved campground within 30 minutes of Salida. We have kids (7 and 12) who are actually decent kayakers (toting our own), thus reason for staying close to Sal. We want to Yak and I want to ride primarily. I rode the Crest and ended on the rainbow last year and was super stoked.
    Anyway, I've come to the following two campgrounds. Angel of Shavano. and closer to Buena Vista- Collegiate Peaks. I need to reserve relatively soon, we want "relative peace and quiet" - elbow room - no generators - and a golf course "just kidding". Camping near running water would be appreciated.... What is your expert opinion? And yes the Local Brew- Elevation, drank at the Riverside Cafe caused momentary "reality distortion", it was that good.

    btw. I know my username is stupid, sorry. It was late and changing it requires sending in DNA and a 30 day stay in at Betty Ford.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

  2. #2
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,209

    Gee whiz...

    Quote Originally Posted by fat-but-slow View Post
    Tom,
    My wife's maiden name is-was Purvis (yes she's still alive). Now to the relevant stuff. I'm headed your way (July 20ish), looking for (wife's request) for an improved campground within 30 minutes of Salida. We have kids (7 and 12) who are actually decent kayakers (toting our own), thus reason for staying close to Sal. We want to Yak and I want to ride primarily. I rode the Crest and ended on the rainbow last year and was super stoked.
    Anyway, I've come to the following two campgrounds. Angel of Shavano. and closer to Buena Vista- Collegiate Peaks. I need to reserve relatively soon, we want "relative peace and quiet" - elbow room - no generators - and a golf course "just kidding". Camping near running water would be appreciated.... What is your expert opinion? And yes the Local Brew- Elevation, drank at the Riverside Cafe caused momentary "reality distortion", it was that good.

    btw. I know my username is stupid, sorry. It was late and changing it requires sending in DNA and a 30 day stay in at Betty Ford.
    Golly, you honor me with your specific request!

    Your wife, what part of the world does she come from? I know there's a pod of Purvis folk in the southeast of the USA (there was a sheriff of Mobile County, AL back in the 80s named Tom Purvis BTW). Also there are some of us in Montana. The source of my group came from Arbroath, Scotland by way of Holyrood, Ontario, Canada to Las Animas, CO. Sadly, this Colorado branch ends with me unless I get off the dime and start spawning...

    Yeah, cool.

    Anyway, here's a tip for campgrounds that few know about: About half a mile north of the intersection of 285 and CO 291 there's a turn to the east to Hecla Junction. It's a take-out used by the rafters doing the Brown's Canyon run. Down a pretty steep dirt road into the canyon. There is a CO State campground down there that is beautiful. Right on the river, down in Browns.

    I don't know about how likely you would be to need reservations, but you can use this site to get one if you want to play it safe:

    Campground Details - ARKANSAS HEADWATERS RECREATION AREA, CO - ReserveAmerica - [CO]

    (Disclaimer, I fuggin' hate reserveamerica.com. It's one of those phony private-sector-does-the-job-better-than-govt give-aways. This contractor got the exclusive rights to sell reservations to govt resources. Their fee is like half of the whole cost. And it's not competitive. They don't compete with anybody--they have the contract! Rant.)

    Angel of Shavano is decent for a forest service CG. Another one I like is Cascade--it's a little close to the road to St Elmo, but still relatively quiet. Monarch Park isn't bad.

    Best one in the area is Snowblind over on the west side near Sargents. It's quite a bit further from town. Forty-five minute drive, but it's the place to ride Canyon Creek from. And if you want to do Agate Creek the MANLY way with no shuttle, it's about as perfect a ride-from-camp spot as you'll find.

    Hope that helps. Send the check whenever it's convenient--and of course I take paypal!
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  3. #3
    swim-bike-run-bike-bike
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    72
    Tom,
    She now resides in Oklahoma, yet her grandfather on dad's side came from Tibideaux ?Louisiana. Ok now... do I dare to say my dad's name is Durvis? Yep it's true. Ok I'm done. No we did not name our offspring Durvis Purvis!
    About the good stuff. Your Salida wisdom is priceless. Salida Chamber should consider paying you a monthly stipend. I appreciate you sharing.
    A few questions..
    1.Is the Brown's Canyon site accessible in a 2- wheeled van?
    2. Is that portion of the river class 3 and higher? My son (12) has mastered the eskimo roll and is fearless in water, not me however, thus I am "dead weight" for him in class 3 water.
    3. Can I reach any single track from camp within an hour's ride, ( I am weird.. I like climbing)?

    Ok. I'm done mooching for information,, I'm starting to pack. And thanks again for giving me your time and "boots on the ground" intel.
    [I]Red Dirt Sky[/I]

  4. #4
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,209
    Quote Originally Posted by fat-but-slow View Post
    ...
    1.Is the Brown's Canyon site accessible in a 2- wheeled van?
    Yep. The rafting companies take ratty second-hand school buses down and up that road all summer long. Last time I was there it had some b!tchin' washboard, but definitely 2wd-able.

    Quote Originally Posted by fat-but-slow View Post
    2. Is that portion of the river class 3 and higher? My son (12) has mastered the eskimo roll and is fearless in water, not me however, thus I am "dead weight" for him in class 3 water.
    Well, I'm not a boater. I can't tell you much in terms of categories and what-all, but I can play make-believe...

    Seriously, as I recall the water in that part of Browns is pretty tame for the most part. However, one of the reasons Hecla is a take-out for recreational commercial rafters is that downstream half a mile or so is a feature known as Slidell's Suckhole. It is apparently a boat-eating hydraulic. Below Slidell's is a whole bunch of very tame water by upper Arkansas River standards.

    Brown's Canyon is crazy beautiful by the way... there's a proposed Wilderness Area that's directly across the river from Hecla. And it is very appropriate to be Wilderness.

    Quote Originally Posted by fat-but-slow View Post
    3. Can I reach any single track from camp within an hour's ride, ( I am weird.. I like climbing)?...
    Well... No. The nearest singletrack would be the Colorado Trail. If you like climbing AND you're pretty good at it, you could get from the bottom of Hecla to Blanks Cabin in about 2 hours. Of all climbing.

    If you really want to be right near singletrack, Angel of Shavano is for you. The Colorado Trail goes right past the upper end of the campground.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  5. #5
    bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Reputation: SkaredShtles's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    10,495
    This thread has *WAY* too much useful information. WTF?

  6. #6
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,209
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    This thread has *WAY* too much useful information. WTF?
    Shut your WHORE MOUTH!
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

  7. #7
    Schipperkes are cool.
    Reputation: banks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    3,994
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    Shut your WHORE MOUTH!
    Is this part of Colorado, I think you meant to type HOAR
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

  8. #8
    Team Velveeta™
    Reputation: TomP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,209
    Quote Originally Posted by banks View Post
    Is this part of Colorado, I think you meant to type HOAR
    Salida Beta.. Calling Mr. T. Purvis-nya.jpg
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

    "I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

Similar Threads

  1. CO Trail near Salida?
    By carrielovesbikes in forum Colorado - Western Slope
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-07-2013, 03:57 AM
  2. Salida?
    By Anthonyf in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-09-2012, 10:11 PM
  3. Salida Stoke
    By TomP in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-19-2011, 08:14 AM
  4. Salida
    By Vger in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 07-29-2011, 08:25 PM
  5. MTB near Salida
    By 4wordSOUL in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 09:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •