Superhero in training

Roan Cliff Chaos

Hey Everybody,

Has anyone raced the Roan Cliff Chaos in Rifle? I just got hooked up with the guy who coordinates the race, and I'm going to try to give him an extra pair of hands getting the race going. I think it's slated for June 15-16th this year.

1. Just curious if anyone has raced it?

2. If you did, were there any pro's or con's?

3. Things you'd like to see? (in this race or any race)

Thanks for any feedback y'all.
    Roan Cliff Chaos
    June 15-16 in beautiful Rifle, Colorado
    https://sites.google.com/site/roancliffchaos/

mtbr member
    I'll be hitting the Palisade Bluegrass Festival on that date

Superhero in training
    Wow, no one's raced it? Well, keep it in the back of your heads this year. We usually get a couple of Pro's that just kill the course. Hopefully it'll be bigger, better and more fun this year. We are currently shopping around for some more sponsors and setting up events all weekend long.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan View Post
    I'll be hitting the Palisade Bluegrass Festival on that date
    Bummer. Bad planning on our part, I guess. I think it's impossible to find a weekend during summer that doesn't already have something in a town nearby.
    Roan Cliff Chaos

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am not familiar with the race. Could you give me a summary of the race? Course? Competiveness? Turnout? Etc?

Superhero in training
    drlg- Thanks for asking. Here is an idea of the basic setup, but it might change a little this next year. But only additions, no subtractions.

Two day event:
    Day 1- Cross country race on single/double track at the JQS trails. One lap is 6 miles (I believe). Beginners= 1 lap, Intermediate= 2 laps, Pro= 4 laps

Day 2- Hill climb to the top of JQS. beg/int/pro all do same course.

It's a pretty grassroots kind of setup. Right now it's a pretty small field. Competition ranges from locals to some serious pros (Not sure if I am allowed to drop names?). A little something for everybody. I'm going to try and get some new things rolling this year, but not sure what's going out pan out yet. Maybe clinics, social events, a dh race? Not sure yet.

Did I hit all of your questions? I'm working on a website with more info as we speak.
    Roan Cliff Chaos

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoSean View Post
    drlg- Thanks for asking. Here is an idea of the basic setup, but it might change a little this next year. But only additions, no subtractions.

Two day event:
    Day 1- Cross country race on single/double track at the JQS trails. One lap is 6 miles (I believe). Beginners= 1 lap, Intermediate= 2 laps, Pro= 4 laps

Day 2- Hill climb to the top of JQS. beg/int/pro all do same course.

It's a pretty grassroots kind of setup. Right now it's a pretty small field. Competition ranges from locals to some serious pros (Not sure if I am allowed to drop names?). A little something for everybody. I'm going to try and get some new things rolling this year, but not sure what's going out pan out yet. Maybe clinics, social events, a dh race? Not sure yet.

Did I hit all of your questions? I'm working on a website with more info as we speak.
    What are comparable Fruita/GJ trails to the JQS trails? Would the hill climb be similar to The Edge Loop climb at the end of Coal Gulch?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

chaos

fun race for anybody kids/family feeling like challenging themselves on motto/singletrack that's been increasingly trashed over the years. I enjoy the small town small race atmosphere but I live in Rifle and when I have done it, biked to the race. It sounds like the date is already set, but to me this is a race with better turn out prior to memorial day, sometime in May after the Fruita fattyfest...I distinctly remember my brain feeling like it was boiling in my helmet on the second lap of the cross country race in June.

JQS...i am the amature amongst pros...this is a grunt...it's like there is a few slow people like me, and then there are people who, basically, all they do is bike and they zip up. A good workout and I'm sure competitive within the pros, and it is fun to see the pros haul up that road in an hour.

marketing/ads helps...there is enough bikers in the valley to make this get big fast. too bad they couldn't join up with the brewery at Sammy's. craft beer= $ flow

Superhero in training
    Quote Originally Posted by bsimon View Post
    fun race for anybody kids/family feeling like challenging themselves on motto/singletrack that's been increasingly trashed over the years.
    I've heard that too. I'm hoping to get a couple of local volunteers to go over the course in the days prior to the race, to smooth some parts out. Nothing wrong with technical riding, but I hear some parts just get crappy.

It sounds like the date is already set, but to me this is a race with better turn out prior to memorial day, sometime in May after the Fruita fattyfest...I distinctly remember my brain feeling like it was boiling in my helmet on the second lap of the cross country race in June.
    Yes, the day is set (to my knowledge). As I stated earlier, it's not my race, I'm just helping the gent that started it. But yes, I agree, maybe I can get the race organizer to look into an earlier date for next year?

marketing/ads helps...there is enough bikers in the valley to make this get big fast. too bad they couldn't join up with the brewery at Sammy's. craft beer= $ flow
    Did you say beer? That "may or may not" be in the works....
    Roan Cliff Chaos

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have done the Roan Cliff Chaos the last two years. The XC course is surprisingly fun and challenging. I am not a huge fan of multilap race formats so perhaps creating a longer course would be something different to try. I know I have ridden other trails in that area that are not included in the race course, but perhaps they wouldn't work well in a race, not sure. The crowd is always very laid back and friendly, yet I have found at least a couple of guys that are as slow as I am to give it a competitive feel. I would say a couple of things that could make it a bit larger would be making it a longer course and creating a post race environment that makes people want to hang out afterwards, I.E. free beer. My two cents. I will definetely be doing both Saturday and Sunday races this year if I can make it work.

Superhero in training
    Thanks for the input, gents. I think the race director's goal is to really make this a quality event and all of this is really helping.

Quote Originally Posted by Foote30 View Post
    I have done the Roan Cliff Chaos the last two years. The XC course is surprisingly fun and challenging. I am not a huge fan of multilap race formats so perhaps creating a longer course would be something different to try. I know I have ridden other trails in that area that are not included in the race course, but perhaps they wouldn't work well in a race, not sure.
    Good idea, that's def something to look into. I know that they have it set up that way to accommodate beginners and pros, but maybe there's another option in there somewhere? It's worth checking into.

...creating a post race environment that makes people want to hang out afterwards, I.E. free beer. My two cents.
    This is an area where we are going to really try and improve the race. since it's a 2 day race, why not make it a weekend event? beer, clinics, dinner, mtb movies? Besides hanging out and drinking a solid beer, is there anything else you think would be fun?

I will definetely be doing both Saturday and Sunday races this year if I can make it work.
    Glad to have you coming back!
    Roan Cliff Chaos

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    It seems to me that if you want to lure in more riders then you should add an enduro format race, since you already have the xc side of things covered plus it seems to be the rage, right? I think a "dh" course may be optimistic given the current trails, which makes me wonder:
    do you think there's any chance of getting outside help (ex. Rifle rec or other organizations?) to build a new trail or are we limited to just using existing trails? I know next to nothing about race organizing/planning but I think that if we had a little help in building and linking some of the existing trails then we could come up with an epic race that would bring in people from a LONG way away.

Superhero in training
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumpcaser View Post
    It seems to me that if you want to lure in more riders then you should add an enduro format race, since you already have the xc side of things covered plus it seems to be the rage, right? I think a "dh" course may be optimistic given the current trails, which makes me wonder:
    Great idea. Yes, I agree a downhill is optimistic...at this time. Rifle is actually fortunate enough to have some professional trail builders living here that love downhill. So it's not out of the question. But an Enduro format could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumpcaser View Post
    do you think there's any chance of getting outside help (ex. Rifle rec or other organizations?) to build a new trail or are we limited to just using existing trails? I know next to nothing about race organizing/planning but I think that if we had a little help in building and linking some of the existing trails then we could come up with an epic race that would bring in people from a LONG way away.
    Funny you should mention that, Rifle Parks and Rec is the entity that hosts this event. The people that work there are really progressive and eager to put on great events. There are trails going up all of the time out here.
    Roan Cliff Chaos

mtbr member
    We certainly have the terrrain and trails here for an enduro format, the biggest issue is wrangling the permits and paperwork.

Superhero in training
    I was just talking to the race coordinator (I'm still learning a ton about the event) and I just found out that this is it's 10th consecutive year being run! Wow, I had no idea. It'll be really cool if we can make it a cool celebration.

Quote Originally Posted by hankthespacecowboy View Post
    We certainly have the terrrain and trails here for an enduro format, the biggest issue is wrangling the permits and paperwork.
    Could prove to be a problem, but I think it's still worth looking into!
    Roan Cliff Chaos

Superhero in training
    Just an update. We are starting to book clinicians and get some funding! Now all we need to do is get some more sponsors on board and it's really going to take off! If you haven't already put this race on your calendar, you may want to. Last year we had almost as many pro's as we did other entries.

Plus, this year it's going to be a lot more female friendly. If your wife or girlfriend rides, she may be interested in checking this out. More details soon...
    Roan Cliff Chaos

Superhero in training
    Thought I would run this by my mtbr folks right off the bat and see what you think? I've been putting in a lot of time on trying to make this race into an event. Let me know what you guys/gals think?

Roan Cliff Chaos

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    the website looks good. I didn't try the registration feature yet but it looks pretty slick. I have done this race twice and what you have going for you is a fun course very welcoming environment for beginners at a reasonable price. I think trying to increase female participation is a good thing. the only two things I would suggest is offer post race libations to encourage people to stick around
    rather than bailing right away and perhaps adding some new trail to the course. and if you can figure out a way to market the surrounding communities such as new castle and Glenwood that would be beneficial as well. keep up the good work

Superhero in training
    Foote30- Thanks! I've put a bit of work into the site. You're right, it is a good course and I think that's what people really want.

Post Race- Check out the Event Schedule page (link on the upper left hand side). We are going to have a party with custom build-your-own pasta bowls and Rifle Brewing! AND later on Saturday we will be having a couple of clinics (Men's/Woman's Skills--Trail Building--Trailside EMT)

New trails- I completely agree. The only hang-up is that we can only promote BLM approved trails. Currently there are only a limited amount of approved trails in their catalog. HOWEVER, we will be doing some group rides all weekend long, with locals guides, to show you some other features of riding in Rifle.

Great questions and thanks for checking out the webpage!
    Roan Cliff Chaos

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I've raced this one numerous times, both the xc and the hillclimb. It's always a favorite of mine.

Pros: It's a local race for me and is put on by City of Rifle Parks and Recreation, and just genuinely nice people, overall. It helps bring some good attention to the Hubbard Mesa OHV area. More people riding and enjoying this area via bike, moto, quad, jeep, horse, foot, etc.. will keep the scumbags who like to deposit appliances and other garbage on public lands away.

They run a nice setup for beginner, sport, and experts alike and often pay out cash prizes on a 6 mile loop xc course. A mix of ledgey rocks and punchy climbs and descents and non stop moto breaking/accel bumps will remind you that you didn't like buttery smooth trails anyway (that's for sissies.)

The second day is a hillclimb (2500') in about 8 miles that takes you up on the Roan Plateau (beautiful views)...blow a lung or two out and then pick them up off JQS road as you descend back as inhumanly fast as possible.

Cons: Well there are better trails now in the Hubbard Mesa area; it might be time to venture on to a new course format if the BLM allows. It can get toasty hot in June, and it's usually dry, but if it rains, the clay out there will stop you in your tracks. The expert (pros included) class never seems to break about 20 entrants it seems.

Ideas: Maybe a long loop format, instead of 4 laps @ 6mi for expert. There's almost 40 miles of trail out there, so there are some possibilities Maybe move on to some new singletrack, or lets make some with BLM's blessing.

I'd be glad to help if you need any trail ideas, gps-ing, marking out there, or whatever...looking forward to it again!

Superhero in training
    Dirthound- Great feedback! it's always nice to hear ideas and opinions from someone who's raced the event before. It sounds like you're in the area, so hopefully our paths cross soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirthound View Post
    Cons: Well there are better trails now in the Hubbard Mesa area; it might be time to venture on to a new course format if the BLM allows. It can get toasty hot in June, and it's usually dry, but if it rains, the clay out there will stop you in your tracks.
    Yup, June can get warm. We are going to do out best to get people into town (and a drink in their hand) before the temps jump. We'd love to do it earlier, but BLM will not allow permitting because of the herding. We are kicking around the idea of a fall race?

Ideas: Maybe a long loop format, instead of 4 laps @ 6mi for expert. There's almost 40 miles of trail out there, so there are some possibilities
    That does sound good. Permitting is in place for this year, but something to look at for next year.

Maybe move on to some new singletrack, or lets make some with BLM's blessing.
    We are expanding trails all of the time. The person who is putting on the trail building clinic was out yesterday expanding rifle's riding area!

I'd be glad to help if you need any trail ideas, gps-ing, marking out there, or whatever...looking forward to it again!
    You bet! We are always looking for more people to be involved. So far we have a small, but good group of core guys working on it. You're are always welcome to join in and help where you can. PM me with your email if you're interested.

FYI- you don't need to pay when you pre-register! Racers can pay the day of the race.
    Roan Cliff Chaos

Superhero in training
    Bump

Website is updated! We have some new sponsors, more clinics, an after party and lots more. Registration is open and we are getting ready for June!

The only thing left is to get a Strava segment and some video. Hopefully this weekend?
    Roan Cliff Chaos

Superhero in training
    One week away! June 15-16 in Rifle, Colorado. Pre-register and find out more details trough the link in my signature.

LATE BREAKING NEWS!
    - Do you like Fuji bikes? Have you ever ridden their mountain bikes or cyclocross bikes? Come to the races and demo some sweet rides! MG Cycle and Sport will be bringing out Fuji demo bikes for the Roan Cliff Chaos race!

Name:  fuji_logo_fb.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  10.0 KB
    Roan Cliff Chaos