mtbr member
    Oct 2009

... and if we just ... Road tripping through CO - any good trail recommendations? (x-post)

Hey all - I'm road tripping through the U.S. with a good friend and will be spending 6-7 days driving through CO (coming from the north). Looking for some awesome trails to ride while we're there.

We both have XC/AM bikes, are pretty experienced, but love tough climbs, great scenery, and fantastic singletrack (rolling singletrack and technical singletrack both good). Looking to get the epic Colorado experience I keep hearing about! Any areas we should focus and trails we should hit? Would love your input!

-Kevin

mtbr member
    ANYTHING on the Colorado trail is worth the ride.
    This time of year, Fruita and GJ are rocking! Finally cooled down below the surface of the sun.

Grand Junction and Fruita Mountain Biking -- gjmountainbiking.com

The high country is getting great! Snowmass (Snowmass Village, Colorado Mountain Bike Trails || SINGLETRACKS.COM) and Crusty Butt, are in their prime. Durango will be awesome. Breck and lake County are more fun than a barrel of monkeys.

Scout trail in Glenwood Springs is not to be missed.

When are you planning to be here. It makes a huge difference.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Cool-blue Rhythm

Driving in the day after tomorrow - entering in the north from Wyoming and exiting through fruita to go to moab. If you had 5-6 days to drive through and hit the best trails how would you order them? I'm still learning my CO geography

mtbr member
    I'd recommend going straight to Crested Butte for 3+ days, then to Fruita/GJ and onto Moab.
    Colorado is a big state and you don't want to spend all your time driving. With just those 2 locations, you'll find plenty to occupy your riding time, and both are such big riding towns all you need to do is stop by the LBS to get good trail recommendations.
    Less time on the interwebs, more time on the bike and in the local brew pubs!
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Checking Fruita's weather, its 95-98, dropping to 90s later this week, that is cooling down? You guys are nuts. I'll give it a month or so. My vote is Crested Butte, then Salida, and Durango. Ride RenoFlagBearDoctors (or Bear to Doctors), 401, drive to Salida, do Monarch Crest, come to Durango, ride Molas to Engineer Mountain Trail, then Kennebec Pass. If time, do Jones Pinkerton Dutch.

Skip fruita and moab, still too hot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ds1bush9 View Post
    Checking Fruita's weather, its 95-98, dropping to 90s later this week, that is cooling down?
    It was cool for a couple days last week. It's been a hot summer for sure.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Personally, I'd stop in Lyons (only 10 miles off I-25 in northern CO) and ride Hall Ranch for a couple of hours. You won't find a better trail in the Front Range. It might be pretty damn hot tomorrow, though.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Everybody has their place that they like to push as the best but there are dozens of great riding destinations in CO that all have their on flavor. Steamboat, Winter Park, CO Front range (despite all the bitc**ing), Breckenridge/Summit County, Salida/BV, Crested Butte/Gunnison, Durango, Telluride, Fruita/GJ and other more obscure places in between.

You can choose one or more of those places and you wont be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ds1bush9 View Post
    Checking Fruita's weather, its 95-98, dropping to 90s later this week, that is cooling down? You guys are nuts. I'll give it a month or so. My vote is Crested Butte, then Salida, and Durango. Ride RenoFlagBearDoctors (or Bear to Doctors), 401, drive to Salida, do Monarch Crest, come to Durango, ride Molas to Engineer Mountain Trail, then Kennebec Pass. If time, do Jones Pinkerton Dutch.

Skip fruita and moab, still too hot.
    Couldn't agree more with this. Fruita and Moab are great, but only at the right time. This isn't the right time. Why skip great rides in the nice cool high country to go suffer in extreme heat?