mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Rifle Singletrack?!

Anyone willing to tell me where these elusive animals are located? Or at least willing to go with and show me?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Only things I can think of is three forks go past rifle falls, through rifle mountain park, and as long as you don't turn right into little box canyon or left to coulter ranch the road dead ends at the trail head.

and the stuff around JQS. Don't go there too often too many people and too much trash but there's little random trails all over.

Seems like there's another out by Harvey gap but haven't been there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Naw, I'm talking about the "good" stuff. I keep hearing talk of nice singletrack here but I guess it's a big secret?? New Castle too!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I wouldn't say it's a secret, just this area is populated much less than the touristy areas nearby so it goes unnoticed. Fun stuff around JQS and going south (Beaver creek) in Rifle and off Buford road in NC. the harvey gap stuff is too steep and suits motos better imo. 3 forks is okay but you have to time it right so that the trail isn't so overgrown that you can't even see your front wheel. Shoot me your phone in a PM and I'll let you know the next time we hit something around here although I think the higher elevation stuff up-valley is being favored more as it gets hotter

mtbr member
    May 2012
    How hard of a ride is beaver creek? I was going to check it out and hike some probably about a month ago but enough snow still in the road the truck didn't want to make it past the 2nd or third cabin.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah, word is that it's still snowed in pretty good so give it another month to be safe. Not too hard of a ride but it's an out and back that is up up up and then down in a flash. Theres a few places you'll want to stop to check out the views and rest for a minute along the way. It's fun to be riding in aspen trees in Rifle but maybe not a ride you'll want to do every weekend so don't let me build it up as being better than it is

mtbr member
    May 2012
    up up up sounds like something I want to avoid for a bit longer.

Just out of curiosity you got any recommendations on stuff that's more "fat kid friendly" around here? I've been meaning to go to glenwood check boyscout and some of the paved stuff, but tend to stick to just riding around town most days.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    up up up sounds like something I want to avoid for a bit longer.
    haha, I hear ya. In that case I think boyscout may be too stiff a climb. There are ways to shuttle many of the rides in the valley (including Boy Scout) but if you are looking for something to do solo then check out areas like prince creek in Carbondale and JQS in Rifle. As mentioned earlier, JQS has its good and bad days so find one that's not too hot and dusty or a holiday or you'll get eaten by the motos. Plenty of loops and spurs to explore and not too much elevation gain overall which makes it fun. The path in glenwood canyon is fun but not really mtb - still something everyone should do once, especially if you add the hike up to hanging lake.

I feel like I'm making myself out to be more knowledgeable than I am, so calling the bike shops around might get you some better/different recommendations. Also, trail books may seem old-school but there's always a few gems lying in the pages. I know the library has some state-wide and local mtb trail guide books.

Garfield County Public Library | Search Results

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Yeah I hear ya on the dry and dusty!! We did Red Hill area last weekend and it was like the surface of the moon. I live here in Rifle and mostly want after work evening rides close to home. We usually get out of town on the weekends, and I only work every other 7 days so the sky is the limit. I love a good up hill but huffing dust the whole way gets old too! I can't wait for some high contry to open up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomadllc View Post
    Anyone willing to tell me where these elusive animals are located? Or at least willing to go with and show me?
    If you show up the weekend of 15/16 (Roan Cliffs Chaos race) I will be hosting trail rides for those who aren't interested in racing.

The Rifle area does not have the sort of carefully managed and maintained trails that the Grand Valley does, which has its good and bad elements. But if you are looking for some new singletrack, I think you will find Rifle a very rewarding place. Be sure you are running sealant, or at the very least well prepared with extra tube(s), as cactus are a fairly common occurrence.

Gary Miller at Miller Dry Goods is great source of trail information (if he's not out riding), or you can PM me. I'll be in town 13-17.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hankthespacecowboy View Post
    If you show up the weekend of 15/16 (Roan Cliffs Chaos race) I will be hosting trail rides for those who aren't interested in racing.

The Rifle area does not have the sort of carefully managed and maintained trails that the Grand Valley does, which has its good and bad elements. But if you are looking for some new singletrack, I think you will find Rifle a very rewarding place. Be sure you are running sealant, or at the very least well prepared with extra tube(s), as cactus are a fairly common occurrence.

Gary Miller at Miller Dry Goods is great source of trail information (if he's not out riding), or you can PM me. I'll be in town 13-17.
    Yeah I would be out for race day but I'm working I shop at Miller's a lot so I'll have to mention the biking next time I'm in!

Superhero in training
    Sorry to jump in late, but heck yeah we'll show you some trails. Like Hankthespacecowboy said, the Roan Cliff Chaos is going on this next weekend, Saturday and Sunday. If you can't make that, let me know and I'll hit some trails with ya. I can do evenings during the week and some weekends. It may cost ya a beer!

Yup, Gary at Miller's Dry Goods IS the local mtb guide/coordinator/trailkeeper. He's a good guy.
    Roan Cliff Chaos
    June 15-16 in beautiful Rifle, Colorado
    https://sites.google.com/site/roancliffchaos/

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ColoSean View Post
    Sorry to jump in late, but heck yeah we'll show you some trails. Like Hankthespacecowboy said, the Roan Cliff Chaos is going on this next weekend, Saturday and Sunday. If you can't make that, let me know and I'll hit some trails with ya. I can do evenings during the week and some weekends. It may cost ya a beer!

Yup, Gary at Miller's Dry Goods IS the local mtb guide/coordinator/trailkeeper. He's a good guy.
    Sean, the Chaos is over man! Wanna ride tonight?

Superhero in training
    Sorry, just saw this. I usually don't check this site everyday. send me a msg with your number. Maybe Thursday night?
    Roan Cliff Chaos
    June 15-16 in beautiful Rifle, Colorado
    https://sites.google.com/site/roancliffchaos/