mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Rid'n in Ridgeway/Ouray for Kids

Going to Ridgeway State Park and wondering if there is riding for my 10 and 12 year olds near there. Is there an epic ride for me or should I just bring the road bike to head over Red Mountain Pass? Heading there for 4 days and don't want to spend it all at the hot spring.

Tigers love pepper...
    Do people actually bike over Red Mountain? There is ZERO shoulder and HUGE drops. I'd be scared as hell riding that. If I was gonna ride the road, I think I'd probably head West on 62 out of Ridgeway and then South on 145 towards Telluride & Lizard Head pass. 62 has some of my favorite views in CO.

Owl Creek pass is pretty close to Ridgeway and a beautiful drive. Not sure what it has for mountain biking though. I'm sure there's probably a TON of MTB trails nearby but unfortunately I can't help you out there.

Is there MTB trails off of Last Dollar road?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Red mtn

GREAT road ride! The road is so narrow and twisting cars are only doing 20-25mph at best and they are usually more freaked out about being on that road that us so they give us plenty of room.
    Also, look at the road riding option (loop's) up on Log Hill here.(25miles)
    And there is alway's hwy 62 over the divide to Placerville and back to Ridgway which has just been repaved! (42miles)
    Mtn biking for your 10yrs old can be found on the East side of Hwy550 off CR10.Go to www.ridgwaytrails.com and click on trails link for a map.
    For an epic you'll want to ride the Dallas trail. You can either do from Box Factory through to Ouray/Ridgway (about 5hrs), or start in Ridgway and climb CR5 up to Dallas trail over Moonshine park and descend to CR17. From there head left back to Ridgway or right to Ouray.
    Have fun!
    Randy

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

a potential epic road(ish) ride...

Quote Originally Posted by Radekal
    Going to Ridgeway State Park and wondering if there is riding for my 10 and 12 year olds near there. Is there an epic ride for me or should I just bring the road bike to head over Red Mountain Pass? Heading there for 4 days and don't want to spend it all at the hot spring.
    From Ouray, south of town off HWY50 you can do the Alpine Loop - a dirt road ride best done on a light-ish MTB. Great Scenery. Or for shorter, do an out and back to Engineer or Cinnamon Pass.

not actually bad :)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcharrette
    GREAT road ride! The road is so narrow and twisting cars are only doing 20-25mph at best and they are usually more freaked out about being on that road that us so they give us plenty of room.
    Also, look at the road riding option (loop's) up on Log Hill here.(25miles)
    And there is alway's hwy 62 over the divide to Placerville and back to Ridgway which has just been repaved! (42miles)
    Mtn biking for your 10yrs old can be found on the East side of Hwy550 off CR10.Go to www.ridgwaytrails.com and click on trails link for a map.
    For an epic you'll want to ride the Dallas trail. You can either do from Box Factory through to Ouray/Ridgway (about 5hrs), or start in Ridgway and climb CR5 up to Dallas trail over Moonshine park and descend to CR17. From there head left back to Ridgway or right to Ouray.
    Have fun!
    rcharrette,
    I did a little searching on the western slope forum last week, b/c we were going to vacation down your way.
    Thanks to your posts like the one quoted above, I found the perfect ride for me for the few hours I had to explore while we were at RidgwaySP.
    THANKS!
    Next time we're around the area, hopefully I have a little more time, I'll look you up, and buy you a beer.
    My vaca report:
    vacation photo dump
    You should recognize the location of a few of the pix!
    Old Codger