mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Riding suggestions after the Half Growler?

Hey there I will be riding the half growler. (gulp) Normally I would be hitting some of the lower CB trails over the long weekend--worked out great last year. However, I understand things are still snowed in and extremely muddy down in CB. I am looking for other rides to do over the long weekend. I could ride Salida, BV, Montrose(?) or maybe head over to Fruita. I am not familiar with other Gunnison area rides that are lower altitude. Any suggestions on what is ride-able in about 10 days?

Team Velveeta™

Rainbow++

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
    ... I could ride Salida, BV, Montrose(?) or maybe head over to Fruita. I am not familiar with other Gunnison area rides that are lower altitude. Any suggestions on what is ride-able in about 10 days?
    Here in Salida we have been riding the Bear Creek to Methodist Mtn section of the Rainbow (due south of town) for a couple weeks now. 9,000 feet, alpine riding.

But a friend of mine rode the section of the Rainbow that people do at the end of their Crest ride Monday. He found two 10 foot sections of snow in eleven miles of singletrack. That snow will be gone by weekend. The high point of that ride is around 9,600 feet. You can climb the jeep road that forks south from the Marshall Pass Road (just stay left once you leave 285, west on County Road 200) then hit the Rainbow at the Trailhead near the creek, ride it back to 285. It's a nice 2-3 hour 20 mile loop.

Also about 20-25 miles worth of riding right outside town at lower elevations. That stuff has been open all winter for the most part.
    Last edited by TomP; 05-15-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Great question, OP. I'm wondering if Dr's Park (Taylor Reservoir area) will be ready by sunday May 26. Otherwise Salida is on my radar as well.

I'm guessing 401 is out until late june/early July.

mtbr member
    You could probably do a out and back on Doctor's, but imagine that it's still snowy on top. Needle creek reservoir might be ready. In CB currently, Lupine, Tony's, upper loop are dry. By next week Strand hill could be ready?

I would check CBMBA or MBHOF

mtbr member
    May 2011
    the trails are drying out quick here... lupine, upper, whetstone vista, and tony's are pretty much dry...even upper upper doesn't have too many snow crossings. Strand bonus is dry and in another week I would expect full strand and maybe snodgrass as well. Basically there will be plenty of trails to put together a decent ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for those trail reports. Look forward to getting down there in a week.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Re: Riding suggestions after the Half Growler?

Full strand hill this Sunday after half growler sounds like a good time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2011
    rode strand yesterday, 95% dry, should be totally dry by this weekend. Snodgrass just opened, still some snow/mud, but it will be going quick with the sun/wind.

should be able to put together a really nice ride with what we have open now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Re: Riding suggestions after the Half Growler?

So if strand hill is dry, any thoughts on whether Dr park is doable? Would love to ride the road to get up to the top then bomb down with a group this Sunday. Online conditions reports haven't been updated since mid April for Dr park.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Great news!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rfxc View Post
    So if strand hill is dry, any thoughts on whether Dr park is doable? Would love to ride the road to get up to the top then bomb down with a group this Sunday. Online conditions reports haven't been updated since mid April for Dr park.

Trail is closed until the 24th, so nobody has really been up there to scout. I imagine it might be do-able as an out and back. It also might be worth doing some recon driving up the road to see. Above 10k feet there will still be mud and snow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks for the advice. My group and i parked at the CB info center and rode Snodgrass, then Lupine, then after ashort hydration break we rode up Tony's to Upper Upper, then Strand and Strand Bonus. Perfect day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had fun at the half growler--I was much faster than last year tho not breaking any records, ha ha. Sunday rode Strand, + Bonus & then out and back on Farris Creek. Beer at the Brick Oven, dinner at Garlic Mikes. Then monday rode the Salida trails north of the river. Good trails, a lot of fun. Of course, lunch and beer at Amicas. I wish every weekend was as much fun.