mtbr member

Riding the resort in Durango ?

Hey from the other side of the divide , I am planning a trip to Durango in Aug with Family coming up from the flat
    Land , I am looking to ride the resort since that is all I do over here ! Has anyone rode it and how does it compare
    to WP and Keystone? I will have my 10 year old nephew for the first riding this kind of stuff will it be hard for him ?

Thanks
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Hey Yeti_Chris,

Hard to believe but there really isn't much riding at all at the Resort. The lifts are open for bikes (not sure if its free or $) but definitely nothing anywhere close to developed trails like Keystone or WP. All the lift serve DH stuff like Keystone or WP is at Telluride.

Might check this out for your Nephew. Some double track some singletrack.
    Local Loops 1990 World Champs Course at Durango Mountain Resort - YouTube

Enjoy!
    www.singletrackmapping.com
    Ft. Collins & Lyons – Golden – Buffalo Creek – Durango – Phil’s World – Crested Butte

mtbr member
    Thanks for that Singlrtrack Maps !! That was sweet . He should love that Since they are from Houston, TX , But If I get some time I might make a day trip to WP so they can ride some of the sweet stuff I ride !!

What about Local Loops for people from Flat lands that they can ride ?
    My new Quote is "don't let friends ride old bikes on DH Trails "

mtbr member
    Durango Trails - Volunteer Trail Work - Colorado Trail
    Phils World, Horse Gulch and Colorado Trail are about the most forgiving. As you move north from town, elevation gets higher, climbs get tougher.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by YETI_Chris View Post
    Hey from the other side of the divide , I am planning a trip to Durango in Aug with Family coming up from the flat
    Land , I am looking to ride the resort since that is all I do over here ! Has anyone rode it and how does it compare
    to WP and Keystone? I will have my 10 year old nephew for the first riding this kind of stuff will it be hard for him ?

Thanks
    At the top of lift 4 to the north is a FS road that is the access from the base of DMR. To the north you could either ride the road at the back side of the ski area (which accesses Hermosa Creek, etc) or drive further up above Relay Creek. There is an old logging/mining road bed which makes for a mellow ride up to Bolam Pass with views. It'd make for a good intro ride for a 10 year old at elevation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeti-Chris, I have ridden the Durango resort 2 times and also the trails leaving the resort and for me the resort wasn't much. The surrounding area trails are great as is Phills World,Cortez, and much more. I think Keystone or Winterpark are better choices for resort style riding.