mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Riding around Avon

About to make the move to the Mountains, wondering what the trail situation is around Avon, Vail, etc. Is there quality riding from town? Do you simply put the bikes away in late October and pull out the ski's? Appreciate any info.

mtbr member
    There is lots of riding in Eagle County. But they all require you to climb up, up and up.
    I don't know what your definition of "quality" is but if you like CO trails, Eagle county has it.

And October is the perfect time to head to Grand Junction, Fruita, or Moab.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    [QUOTE=wormvine]There is lots of riding in Eagle County. But they all require you to climb up, up and up.
    QUOTE]

You almost say that like it's a bad thing.

Yes, lots of good riding in the Eagle Valley. One nice advantage it has over neighboring Summit County is is you can go a short drive down valley to the Eagle area and the riding season is a solid 3-6 weeks longer than it is around Vail. Generally count on the high country trails closing to Mountain biking by early November although I've seen it close up as early as mid Oct and as late as late November.

Ski season starts in ernest (not the white ribbon of death) anywhere from early to late December depending on the year so there's a period of 3-6 weeks where there's too much snow to ride bikes but not enough to ski which is a good time to head to the desert,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm
    You almost say that like it's a bad thing.
    Nope not a bad thing IMO. I prefer it actually rather than multiple ups and downs.
    Lets say I prefer Amasa to Slickrock. But it can be a bit much for someone not used to sustained climbing for thousands of vertical feet.

keep pedaling
    Mar 2006

Riding around Avon

Spend about 2 months a year up there, and there is great riding. As Wormvine mentioned, they all involve climbing. Here's a few; Meadow Mountain to Whiskey Creek (Minturn Exit off I-70), North Trail system in Vail (Son of Middle Creek, Buffehr Creek etc), Allie's Way on Beaver Creek (Corkscrew is gone in the middle, not sure what happened). Try this website: www.ecosports.com

Full Beer Here
    Jun 2009