Wu-Tang Academy Alumni

Rider Down - Let's give Randyboy some love

I wasn't there, but it sounds like Randyboy got treated pretty roughly by the Molas to Cascade ride. He's now laid up with a busted Collar bone and pretty bummed out.
    Let's give him a little love and hopefully cheer him up a bit.

At least you're cooler than this guy

++Vibes++ man, heal well.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Flaccid Member
    Good meeting you at Durango Joe's today. Engine Creek was the wrong trail at the wrong time. Rough night getting out of the back country by 2 female riders that left me behind. Got back under my own power to my car, about 11:30pm on a cold night. Garmin Edge 305 and a map saved my bacon, 900 miles from home, with no guide, no lights and a full moon for guidance.. but the company was good on Thursday... with Team Vogue.

Friday Bike pictures
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 10-03-2009 at 05:40 PM.

Flaccid Member
    Phil's World on 10/4? Call, let's discuss. Sorry about all the stuff going on today, hard to catch up with internet access and being out of touch for 3 days, plus all the story telling about how serious it could have been in the back country that night, in the cold. Murphy's Law in full effect on that one. 2 flats, out of tubes, walking, practically after midnight. Mother Nature can be a harsh ***** when the chips are down. Just trying to keep moving, to keep ahead of a Darwin Award.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Damn, sounds like a harsh time. Walking out that late sounds like no fun at all!

Flaccid Member
    Cold, moonlit, on a trail I've never been on before, with quite a few downed trees, from all the windstorms. It was an adventure, though at the time, being injured and way in the back country having to get out solo, out of water, out of light, with a map and a Garmin 305 that had been running for 11 hours on a full recharge and showing only one bar left was stressful. I was beginning to plan for worst case with a night on the mountain, tucked in a warmer aired draw or ravine.

Got back home last night, Durango to Los Angeles, about 800 miles, started at 10:30 AM, pulled in at 11:50 PM.

Finally got the chance to look in a mirror, and it appears that I may have only dislocated my shoulder, going in today for X Rays.

Durango is an incredible place. I will be going back, there is just too much beautiful stuff to ride, and the people there are great. I love that place.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Is this you??

Or this?

At least you don't look like this.........................

.....And you've got to be better off than this guy.
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Or this beater on the same ride:

Glad to hear you made it out ok RandyBoy
    Last edited by BigLaker; 10-05-2009 at 11:03 AM.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Dude.........that's some bullcrap, right there.
    -Sage Francis

Flaccid Member
    Right now, I'm not really sure what is up with my shoulder. What I do remember was that my last know configuration was solid, and that I wasn't going to do a dirt torpedo ( more accurately on this foot path known as Engine Creek Trail on Lat 40 Durango map that the gals led me down on a mountain bike) or a tundra torpedo at 11.500 feet.

Something changed, I was in a quad track rut, and I think I got a little loose and to the outside of the rut and hit a tundra clump, just as I was trying to get back behind the rear seat with my butt. I saw the rest in slow motion, just tried to tuck up and roll, knew I was going to be landing on grass/tundra, and thought it best to tuck my arms in and try to land like doing a somersault on my back. I didn't quite get enough rotation, and my shoulder took the brunt of the impact, felt like from back side to forwards. I pretty much landed in a fetal postion, my camelbak taking a huge amount of the impact and dispersing it through a healthy waterbed like cushion to my back.

Will know more when I go in.

Edit: Update... 10/6 12:53 AM just got out of the ER Hospital, long, long, long 12 hour day in there... Stage II shoulder seperation, appears that there's some torn ligaments in there, however, not enough to do surgery... I am lucky, damn lucky... but I have to do some physical therapy in the mean time. Still gonna ride, just no chunky downs for a while.

Durango is still an amazing place to ride, so many epic options to select, and the peeps are super cool. Bones, you got a place to stay if you ever get out to Mammoth Mountain in CA.
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 10-07-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    Dude.........that's some bullcrap, right there.
    You've no idea how proud I am to say I got off with two hot looking chicks in the mountains of Durango.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    You've no idea how proud I am to say I got off with two hot looking chicks in the mountains of Durango.
    I was talking about BigLaker posting that shot of me endoing over a 1" high root. I'm still not sure how that happened.
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    I was talking about BigLaker posting that shot of me endoing over a 1" high root. I'm still not sure how that happened.
    I am, just pure skills!

S-FU and I rode the Whole Enchilada on Saturday, great ride!
    And then the high winds scared us on Sunday so we tucked our tails and came home
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Flaccid Member
    I was about to be discharged, early this morning, after 2 full sets of X rays to determine I had a stage II shoulder seperation... and I ask the Nurse Practitioner how I can go over the bars and fall off a bike at speed, land on my shoulder, and not have a scratch, a bruise, contusion, or any skin discoloration, but I have a stage II seperated shoulder...... No answer from the NP...

Things that make you go hmmmm? Go figure.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Can they do anything for that type of injury? or is the same as a collar bone or a rib injury where they simply charge you money and tell you to quit whining 'cause it's gonna hurt?

Glad to hear that it's not a more serious injury. You'll be back on the bike before you know it.
    -Sage Francis

Flaccid Member
    You nailed it... gonna hurt, make it hurt while doing therapy, oh and by the way, that'll be a gazillion $. Next time in CO, I'm buying the $1 riding card. Everyone in Durango that rides should buy one. Maybe you can enlighten us as to what the card covers. Officer Burns from Littleton told me about it.

This is what I told the Search and Rescue folks too... nothing you can do, so i don't want the services, all you'll do is bill me for something you can't do anything about, so why bother. Officer Burns told me the service was free. I don't plan on paying for it, as I got myself back to my car completely on my own, and I didn't initiate Search and Rescue, someone else did so send them the bill, I was self sufficient, thank you.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    The 1$ cards (I believe they're called hiker cards) are to help supliment the sometimes very high cost of SAR operations. They will not help with the ambulance or life flight charges.
    -Sage Francis

Flaccid Member
    Thanks for the heads up on the hiker card. Buy one. I took the SAR guys out for breakfast Saturday Morning in Littleton.

You know you're a wanted man when you are walking south on 550 below Coal Bank Pass, and AT&T finally gives you signal and you see this:

Last edited by Boyonadyke; 10-06-2009 at 06:19 PM.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman
    I am, just pure skills!

S-FU and I rode the Whole Enchilada on Saturday, great ride!
    And then the high winds scared us on Sunday so we tucked our tails and came home

I've got to say, if I was in better shape or the days were longer, that Whole Enchilada looks like an Epic ride that would really put a smile on my face. Anyone have links or tracks on Garmin Connect?

Which one is closest to what you guys rode?

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6973003

or

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6809859

or

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/8509984

Do you shuttle up or back?
    Last edited by Boyonadyke; 10-11-2009 at 05:59 PM.