SEC
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Ride btwn Longmont and salida?

My hubby and I, both heat-a-phobes , are headed to Salida from Longmont on sun to ride on Monday. We wouldn't mind getting out for a ride along the way or in salida, as long as we won't die of heat. Any suggestions? We'll be traveling along the 285, thanks!

Team Velveeta™
    Quote Originally Posted by SEC View Post
    My hubby and I, both heat-a-phobes , are headed to Salida from Longmont on sun to ride on Monday. We wouldn't mind getting out for a ride along the way or in salida, as long as we won't die of heat. Any suggestions? We'll be traveling along the 285, thanks!
    I'd probably recommend stopping at Kenosha Pass and riding the CO Trail toward Breck (more or less north). Or read the other thread about Salida if you're looking about beta for here.

A tip for you, calling highway 285 "the 285" is a dead giveaway that you are from California. We don't do that here. Interstate 70 or I-70. Interstate 25, I-25. Highway 285. Or just 285. etc.

EDIT: Oh, and one more little Colorado thingy: if you don't go any further west than Salida, you will never be on the western slope. You posted this in the Western Slope forum, which is fine. Probably most appropriate given that MTBR only has two CO forums, Front Range and Western Slope. The Front Range is the range of mountains roughly between Pike's Peak and the Indian Peaks near the WYO border. Usually people who refer to Front Range are talking about the densely populated part of CO, Fort Collins to Colorado Springs. Some people include Pueblo, but really it isn't part of the front range since it sits away from the mountains in the Arkansas River Valley.

Western Slope means West of the Continental Divide. Colorado Western Slope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Salida is east of the divide. Gunnison is west. Winter Park/Frasier is west of the divide. Alamosa is east of the divide.

Pet peeve of mine with mtbr, that they assume everything in CO is either Front Range or Western Slope. And I think anybody who is going to live in CO should know precisely what western slope means.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    EDIT: Oh, and one more little Colorado thingy: if you don't go any further west than Salida, you will never be on the western slope. You posted this in the Western Slope forum, which is fine. Probably most appropriate given that MTBR only has two CO forums, Front Range and Western Slope. The Front Range is the range of mountains roughly between Pike's Peak and the Indian Peaks near the WYO border. Usually people who refer to Front Range are talking about the densely populated part of CO, Fort Collins to Colorado Springs. Some people include Pueblo, but really it isn't part of the front range since it sits away from the mountains in the Arkansas River Valley.

Western Slope means West of the Continental Divide. Colorado Western Slope - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Salida is east of the divide. Gunnison is west. Winter Park/Frasier is west of the divide. Alamosa is east of the divide.

Pet peeve of mine with mtbr, that they assume everything in CO is either Front Range or Western Slope. And I think anybody who is going to live in CO should know precisely what western slope means.
    thank god someone explained this. Can't tell you how many front rangers think anything west of the metro area is western slope

SEC
    mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Thanks!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    thank god someone explained this. Can't tell you how many front rangers think anything west of the metro area is western slope
    Yeah, but Summit COunty is west of the divide and we get lumped in with the FR forum. We are west slopers gad dummit and Salida is east slope!!!!! I demand accuracy on the interwebz!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by zrm View Post
    Yeah, but Summit COunty is west of the divide and we get lumped in with the FR forum. We are west slopers gad dummit and Salida is east slope!!!!! I demand accuracy on the interwebz!!!
    yea this is true, i feel like summit + vail + eagle get grouped in with front range stuff and anything west on I-70 is west slope...I think the litmus test people compare with is for anything within a reasonable day trip from the FR gets grouped in with the FR

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    A couple of good trails close to 285 between the low lands and Salida:

Gold Dust trail. Goes between the summit of Boreas Pass and Como. Great as an out and back or you can loop it using Boreas Pass Rd

Sheep Creek trail. Southwest of Fairplay. Great semi obscure trail. Can be done as an out and back or looped with dirt roads. Can also be extended with other trails like the Tumble Creek trail.

Rich Creek/Salt Creek/McQuaid trail area. Near trout creek pass. Several possibilities of linking trails together and looping.

Four Mile Creek area. In between BV and trout creek pass. Midland trail, Whipple trail/broken boyfriend trails lots of two track and ATV type trails.