mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Ribbon Trail shuttle.....

Is somebody still running/operating a Ribbon Trail shuttle? We wanted to do this on thursday morning/early afternoon before checking in to the festival. We have (5) riders in our group. I tried calling the Single Tracks shop and posted a message on the FB page to no avail. The website appears to be from 2011.

Assuming we can find a shuttle, (1) guy in our group is under the assumption that peopel frequently get lost trying to find the actual Ribbon Trail itself. Any opinion on that? We've ridden all over Lunch Loops but have never done the Ribbon.

Thanks for any advice...

Tigers love pepper...
    Ribbon is easy to find. A couple not so obvious turns on slick rock portions of the trail but if you pay attention it's no problem. I wouldnt worry about finding your way. A few of the turns towards the top are better marked now than they were a few years ago.

Grassroots was running a shuttle but not sure if they still are or of it went all the way up to the ribbon? Their website has been down for a while now, not sure what's going on with them. You can try calling them.

Might try posting to the Fruita Mountain Biking Facebook page?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Desert Rat Tours can help you out.

They have a FB page too.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

Des(s)ert Rat
    Give us, Desert Rat Tours, a call. 970-261-8101 or 970-260-4842

We have a shuttle booked for 8:30 am, but could be back in the parking lot shortly after. The Ribbon is not hard to follow, especially since the rock cairns (can't miss them, big wire basket of rocks) were placed in the most common place for a navigation error.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I wouldn't worry too much about getting lost on The Ribbon - the top portion has a cliff on the right and a cliff on the left. You will see a cairn where you need to look left where the trail narrows a little bit with a small drop (1 foot) where it takes you to the infamous toilet bowl. Most of the Ribbon after that is singletrack with a few slickrock sections but not hard to follow.

I have ridden it twice, the first time with my friend who lives in the area and the second time I guided a group of folks who live in my area in Missouri who went to Fruita the same week I did and went without a hitch.

You will love the trail - one of my favorites.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had a great experience with Desert Rat Tours last year on the ribbon trail. Can't wait to get back there and do that ride again!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Be careful if it has rained recently which happened last year when I went out there the last week of September. The trail was dry according to OTE which is a reputable source for trail info if it has been raining recently - the entire trail was dry up to the last 1/2 mile and the climb out at the end of the Ribbon back to the road was slick bentonite - nasty stuff that dries like concrete to your bike. -- I got off and walked those sections but the stuff gets everywhere regardless of if you ride it or walk it and walking it is slippery as snot.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

dead weight
    Dec 2003
    If you park at the Gunny parking area it's a little under 4 miles climb ascending about 1000 feet on pavement to where Ribbon starts. It's really not bad to pedal but by all means shuttle if that's your preference.
    A bunch of my ride pics: http://uberfarm.com/mnf

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The first time I rode the Ribbon I couldn't figure out how to get off of the enormous rock at the top. It took awhile to find my way, but it sounds like that's been resolved with carins. The rest of the trail is easy to navigate.

mtbr member
    OTE ain't exactly the go to source for Grand Junction riding...;
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Be careful if it has rained recently which happened last year when I went out there the last week of September. The trail was dry according to OTE which is a reputable source for trail info if it has been raining recently - the entire trail was dry up to the last 1/2 mile and the climb out at the end of the Ribbon back to the road was slick bentonite - nasty stuff that dries like concrete to your bike. -- I got off and walked those sections but the stuff gets everywhere regardless of if you ride it or walk it and walking it is slippery as snot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    1) I'm old...
    2) I'll be riding with fractured ribs (initial injury on the 10th)
    3) We'll be doing this immediately after a 12 hour drive into town from SoCal

So yeah, shuttling is definitely my preference!

2006 Yeti AS-X
    You gonna be pretty tired after that long of a drive. My drivetime from KC to Fruita is about 15 - 16 hours (852 miles) give or take. I agree - definitely shuttle if you can do it. The ride down from the top of the Ribbon with other trails in the Lunch Loops to the bottom parking lot can be a good 2 - 4 hour ride (The Ribbon and Holy Cross) depending on how many stops for pics and such you take. I imagine you can do it alot shorter if you don't stop but the scenery is so awesome, I have to stop at a lot of places just to soak it in.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I don't know about you guys but when I've been in the car for a long drive, I'm ready to get out and getting my legs and heart pumping.

mtbr member
    Funny, I've ridden the Ribbon 5 or 6 times, just never in the daylight. We always seem to come out at the bottom.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Yeah that stuff is nasty, they should have a trail post at trailhead so if someone goes up and sees that crap they can spin the sign to wet. I was there 2 weeks ago and hit a ton of that crap and it just barely rained the night before. Driec out quick but if your there early your bike will weigh 100lbs.