mtbr member

reno flag bear deadman shuttle up Reno?

Is it possible to ride the truck up Reno Divide Rd. and park by the Flag trail? Going to ride it with someone who needs some of the ascent subtracted from this classic ride.

Thanks.

I ride with tools
    I would shuttle Doctors Park instead. RenoFlagBearDead is the most over rated trail up there. 90% moto rutted wide trails filled with fly infested cow poo. YMMV

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    The answer is "yes" - as long as the road hasn't gone to hell in a handbasket since I last rode it. RFBD would actually be quite a bit more enjoyable without the Reno road climb. Although it used to be that it wasn't moto-torn up...

mtbr member
    I rode Doctor's Park on Friday for the first time, with 2 others that had ridden it in past years. According to them, it is also much more torn up from motos
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post
    I rode Doctor's Park on Friday for the first time, with 2 others that had ridden it in past years. According to them, it is also much more torn up from motos
    Eh? Dr. Park (the trail down to the river) is supposed to be off-limit to motos as of the most recent travel plan... is it not? Or maybe it hasn't yet taken effect?

We rode Matchless Mt over to Dr. Park a number of years ago... and that trail was DESTROYED by motos. To the point that it was basically unusable as a trail. Infuriating.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Motos are not allowed on Doctor Park anymore. Even had a ride last summer when a FS employee was at the bottom, ready to bust any motos on it.

RFBD has always been a favorite, but I'd agree, stick a fork in it, it's done.

mtbr member
    Met up with 4 moto riders at the intersection who said they came up from the river, and we certainly saw them coming up from that trail.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I rode Doctors for the first time on 7/9. Sure, the climb up had some (minor) damage? but the single track down seemed fine. The very top portion was a little beat up, but I'm not sure if that was from motos? I had a blast!

mtbr member
    She managed to do the climb. Thanks for the input.
    Definitely doing Doctor's shuttled...

BTW, is Deer Creek worth it? Is it better clockwise or CCW?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zeppman View Post
    I rode Doctors for the first time on 7/9. Sure, the climb up had some (minor) damage? but the single track down seemed fine. The very top portion was a little beat up, but I'm not sure if that was from motos? I had a blast!
    Absolutely, Doctor's is still one of the best! It's reno flag bear that a few of us are saying isn't what it once was.

OP- I think every ride in the valley is better than Deer creek, in either direction, but that's just me.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cbmtbr View Post
    RFBD has always been a favorite, but I'd agree, stick a fork in it, it's done.
    that's sad

haven't heard much from the GOATs club, i thought they were working together with cbmba to make/repair a few trails this summer? With 409 and Doctor's closed off to motos it won't be long before RFBD is closed off to motos as well, an unfortunate trend with increase traffic.

Anybody want to guess how long it will take the new Teo Ridge to be torn up?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sign at the bottom says no uphill moto traffic, so it might be OK

Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post

Anybody want to guess how long it will take the new Teo Ridge to be torn up?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm with cbmtbr Deer Creek is at the bottom of my CB ride list. Sure it has some great moments but too much suffering in between. I rode it CCW and the suffering began with the huge fly infested climb once you hit the single track.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cbmtbr View Post
    Sign at the bottom says no uphill moto traffic, so it might be OK
    You have to be pretty easy on the throttle on a dirt bike to not roost all the soil out of the tread - even on a downhill. Back in the days of "trail bikes" and "trail riding" this wasn't as big an issue, but few in the moto world seem to want to ride that way any more. It's all big horsepower with big tires, big knobs and aggro riding.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Reno/flag/bear/deadman

Classic rides dictate you force your buddy to do it at least one time even if your buddy finds it sufferable. The first climb is a dirt road so just take your time. It's been a few years, but Mottos likely will have no effect on the overall trail experience. It's like three uphills and downhills. One of those downhills is exceptional the rest are just "great"....You gotta hit it up!
    Unless you get very specific info that states mottos have made it all those weird bunny bumps and moon dust that can make down and up horrible.