mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Reno\Flag\Bear\Deadman's

http://www.mtnbikehalloffame.com/page.cfm?pageid=10030

So how bad is the damage to this trail? The trail report goes so far as saying it's not recommended. Is it really that bad? Anyone ridden this recently?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Bummer. That was the first CB ride I did after moving to CO, and I loved it. The last two years it has taken a real beating.

Previously I've found those trail reports to be pretty dead on, without much local bias or attempts to horde trails to themselves, so I'd guess it's f*%ked.

Sad.
    Uh-huh, uh-huh. Okay. Um Can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about uuhhh, things. Uhh... the things.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I rode it last week, some muddy and rutted areas, mostly confined to the open cow grazing areas. The downhill sections were fine, just a little muddy in places. I would say it's fine to ride unless there has been more damage since I rode it on the 10th.

mtbr member
    I spoke with some folks that rode it yesterday and they said it was fine, didn't have much to say about any big cattle damage . Perhaps the rain/traffic combo has smoothed things back out a bit

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I just heard back from a friend from Durango that rode it two+ weeks ago and didn't mention it either.

I did notice that some of those trail conditions postings looks a little dated.

Thanks for the responses.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I rode this trail late last month and ran into a couple hundred head of cattle. They were hanging out at the junction of Bear and Deadman. They were not up Bear at all, but were up Deadman maybe 1/2 to 3/4 mile. Other than the manure on the trail there was no damage to speak of. I ran into the owner of the cattle and we had a pleasant conversation. He said the cattle had moved out of the area they were supposed to be in and he was in the process of getting them back over towards the high country above Rosebud. I didn't care for the manure the cattle left, but they did far less trail damage than the motos have done to the boggy sections on upper Bear and lower Flag. Overall this was a great ride and I really enjoyed the descents from Reno Ridge and Deadman.

Forrest

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Man... how bad does a trail have to be for the moto guys to be appalled?

Maybe they're just trying to deflect some of the blame...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I rode this trail on thursday and it was in great shape. I saw no evidence of cattle and the only damage I could see were from motos and it really wasn't that bad.

Thanks for all the replies.

mtbr member
    I rode it Thursday 7/30 as well and it was in excellent shape... a real jewel of easy climbs, speed and rolling CO foothill terrain... despite a near DH crash with an uphill moto driven by Tigger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    rode it yesterday and was perfect

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lacticacidbath
    rode it yesterday and was perfect
    +2 I rode it Thursday afternoon. Flag was a bit dusty, and rutty or washboarded, but nothing to complain about. Then the rain came and it packed down nice. Bear and Deadman were awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    rode it last week from Cement Creek campground. Those no-brake downhills are crazy fun. Ran into a hail storm that mucked up the trail pretty bad on the up-side of deadman. Gunked up the tire pretty quick but I soon forgot once we bombed the other side.

Living Life Behind Bars..

I am just visiting but....

I rode it today and it was perfect. Incredible weather and incredible trail. Good times.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just rode it yesterday, the trail is Perfect!!

MTB Ninja
    Feb 2004
    Rode it a few days ago (after the formetioned rain). Trail was as great as usual. There were a lot of whoops from the motos but i know how to handle that so not a problem. FYI, Dr.'s Park, 403, 401 are also in great shape.