mtbr member
    Jan 2004

recommended BV trail?

Hi I am looking for recommendations for an intermediate ride to do with my GF in the Buena Vista area. I actually have not been riding there, have heard about the CO trail and some other rides kind of near Mt. Princeton. Also I guess there may be riding near chalk creek. Any suggestions for a 2+ hour ride would be great. thanks.

Team Velveeta™
    You should start with the Midland Trail, which is accessible right from downtown BV. You'll cross a foot bridge over the Arkansas that you'll find at the east end of Main Street just past a softball field.

The first part isn't going to feel intermediate. It's called the Barbara Whipple Trail, and it's pretty climbey. But just get through that, it'll take about 20 minutes even if you just walk it, drops you onto a gravel county road. Turn right and ride on the road and go for a couple miles then you'll hit the Midland. If you want to skip Barbara Whipple, you can drive north on Hwy 285/24 and take the first left after the KOA. Dirt road that will take you to the start of the Midland.

The Midland is nice and easy, a few challenge places, but very easy for beginner/intermediate people to enjoy.

The Colorado Trail between Chalk Creek and Cottonwood Creek is really nice, but definitely a little more advanced and strenuous.

Go to Boneshaker Cycles when you hit town. They are a really cool shop and will be more than helpful.

Consider coming down to Salida (half hour from BV) to ride our Methodist Mountain Trail System. It's definitely intermediate. The Arkansas Hills System is a little harder, but very accessible also. If you come to Salida and want advice or maps go to Absolute Bikes on the river. It's on Sackett a couple blocks west of F Street. Salida Bicycle Company is right on F and Sackett and they would be helpful as well.

Good luck, enjoy your visit.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

650b me
    Another vote for the Midland Trail. Tom's description is pretty good. Mostly easy, some intermediate and a few very short advanced sections, easily walked. Pretty unique trail, IMO, as it follows an old narrow gauge railroad grade (the easy part) until you hit the stretches where there used to be trestle bridges. Then the trail dips down into some fun singletrack sections (the intermediate-advanced sections) before climbing back up to the railroad grade. I like the fact that you can actually look around you and enjoy the scenery while riding the RR grade.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There is more to that whole four mile creek area than just the Midland. You can add the Broken Boyfriend trail to the Barbara Whipple trail for some more technical challenge and the Spaghetti Western stuff around the southeast TH area is fun to check out. Moderately technical but not too hard for an experienced rider.

I also usually add on at least the Linhardy Cutoff two track to make a loop out of the Midland, or go bigger and incorporate all or some the little Moto/ATV spurs in the road system up there. Pretty country back in there. Just be ready for motorized traffic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks all. Tom, we are staying a couple nights in Salida, Friday and Saturday the 4th and 5th.. I have been on those Salida trails with my GF and been to Absolute Bikes as well. A great shop. Maybe off to CB after that for 2 more days of riding.