Thread: Rangely?

Tigers love pepper...

Rangely?

Was up there working in town today and occasionally pass through for work in Vernal. Anything worth riding? I know they have a ton of off-roading up there and ther seems to be a recreation area about very 4 miles south of town.

Anything else South of Douglas besides FOTI and highline? I notice some turnoffs with BLM signs around the Mesa/Garfield county line (haven't stopped to check them out). Also noticed some single track crossing139 about MM10 with trail markings. Maybe 5 miles north of Highline. Does it link to the highline loop?

Probably will be going through again on a trip to Vernal next Friday.

PS - I already googled and searched this forum and came up pretty dry. Found a mention or two of Raven Rims.... But not much info.

Tigers love pepper...
    Just found this regarding Raven Rims or Rangely rims or Coal-oil rims (depending what name you prefer apparently)

http://dinosaur.unleadeddevssd1.com/...TourBiking.pdf

Bite Me.
    I noticed a ton of really cool slick rock 9 or 10 miles north of Rangely on Hwy 64 as you head to Dinosaur on the right side of the road. Each time I have seen it I have been hauling rafts to the Green and have never stopped to explore. Looks like days worth of technical rock crawling starting within 100 feet of the road. I suspect the single track may be rare, but the stone sure looks inviting. Go exploring and report back please.
    Last edited by cutthroat; 08-29-2012 at 11:38 PM.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Drove through vernal several times in june and july. Place is booming again. noted at least one or two good sized bike shops on the main drag, east end of town south side of street. This place has been here a while too which could indicate some decent local trails, including but mabey not Rangely. One shop had a huge arrow stuck in the ground in front for a sign, the other is smaller and located in a small strip mall. Might be worth a pop in on your next visit to Vernal. Let us know what you find out and I will do the same on my next visit. HDN

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    I noticed a ton of really cool slick rock 9 or 10 miles north of Rangely on Hwy 64 as you head to Dinosaur on the right side of the road. I suspect the single track may be rare, but the stone sure looks inviting.
    I've noticed that too. Reminds me of EKG in Moab.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by cutthroat View Post
    I noticed a ton of really cool slick rock 9 or 10 miles north of Rangely on Hwy 64 as you head to Dinosaur on the right side of the road.
    Haha, I always take notice of that section too!

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Norwegian View Post
    Drove through vernal several times in june and july. Place is booming again. noted at least one or two good sized bike shops on the main drag, east end of town south side of street. This place has been here a while too which could indicate some decent local trails, including but mabey not Rangely.
    Vernal has some great trails! I've ridden about 1/2 of the stuff out at McCoy flats. Very similar feel to 18rd in Fruita although probably a little more technical. Next time I do an over nighter there for work I plan to check out some more trails up there. The other one I want to check out is up in Red Fleet.

Vernal and Flaming Gorge Area Trails

Quote Originally Posted by High Desert Norwegian View Post
    One shop had a huge arrow stuck in the ground in front for a sign.
    That is Altitude Cycle. Nice guys. They sell a great set of local trailmaps for $5
    Last edited by cobi; 08-30-2012 at 07:25 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I will check out that shop and one or two of those trails on my next trip and get some Rangely area info too. If any is available

Tigers love pepper...
    Staying over in Rangely Wed. night for work. Thought I'd take one more crack at anyone giving some advice in case I can sneak a ride in. Unfortunately I think we'll be working until late, but we'll see. My old link appears to be dead.