Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Tigers love pepper...

Post your Free Lunch pics

So I finally decided to ride it this weekend. Forgot my camera, but I was alone so I wouldn't have gotten anything interesting anyways. I was gonna send a few pictures to a buddy, but after searching on here and even google I didn't find a whole lot. A few good ones in a Front Range thread, but they were mixed in with Moab pics.

Found some good helmet cam videos, but they make the trail look too "tame". I'd rather see videos from a lower angle (like this).
    http://vimeo.com/7406663
    ** After watching that vid I was glad I didn't do that drop. I have a tendency to go too slow still and sometimes hit front tire first like he did. That landing made me nervous and I skipped it. Next time maybe!

I decided I still need to work on my jumps/drops more before I really need to hit that trail again. No problem with the "filter" at the top, but I pretty much took the easy line and opted to walk a few sections since I was alone and it was my first time (and no armor). Had one nice crash though.

So anyway, post up your pics!

PS - How many of you are going clipless vs platform on that trail? It was the first time I felt like I'd rather have been running platforms. Maybe just a confidence thing.

mtbr member
    No pedals. That way I don't have to debate which kind is better. I don't like brakes either.
    [SIZE=3]Don't take the smooth lines fast, take the fast lines smooth.[/SIZE]
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDMONKEY
    No pedals. That way I don't have to debate which kind is better. I don't like brakes either.
    Run Bikes are the future! I hear the 16er wheel provides better tracking and stability than the 12" models.

Tigers love pepper...
    I think brakes and pedals are just crutches for those without proper bike handling skills anyway! Seriously, nobody want to share some pics?

Here, I'll get the ball rolling... (these are NOT my pics). Found them in Front Range threads.

According to those pics... I appears to be 2 platforms 0 clipless.

mtbr member

Here ya go!

Sorry but I use brakes and pedals... Clipless, but sometimes I will unclip for sketchy unfamiliar sections
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Free Lunch pics-free-lunch-oops-small-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cobi

Here, I'll get the ball rolling... (these are NOT my pics). Found them in Front Range threads.

Pretty easy to tell these were *front rangers* since the guy on the Session 88 is going AROUND the drop.
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Pretty easy to tell these were *front rangers* since the guy on the Session 88 is going AROUND the drop.
    You mean to tell me you don't have pvssies out on the Western Slope? I don't believe you.

Tigers love pepper...
    I took the easy lines! I'm not too proud to admit it.

But if I was armored up like that guy.... I might have been braver.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles
    You mean to tell me you don't have pvssies out on the Western Slope? I don't believe you.

That's right. None that I'm aware of. I suppose it's possible, but they don't survive long enough to sustain a viable population. And yet there are so many of them on the front range........
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Nice pictures. Never made the time to ride there.... And I am snowed in all winter in leadville. now I know what to expect, and will have to get out there this spring. I have only had the oppourtunity to go road geeking out there.in the spring. I do like to stop in at Over the Edge when I visit.
    and the road becomes my bride. Where I ride my bike is home.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    That's right. None that I'm aware of.
    I call you Liar, Sir!

mtbr member
    Roadie,

You might be snowed in in Leadvile but it's still rideable in Happy Valley. (Unless of course you just herniated a disc).

mtbr member

Clipped in on Free Lunch

Old pic... Can you guess what move?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Free Lunch pics-first-run-104.jpg  

Loose is fast, on the edge is out of control.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by pivotpoint
    Old pic... Can you guess what move?
    That's the closed step-down off of Little Park RD, below what is now the "Lunch Line".

Eh?

mtbr member
    Nope. Try again.
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

Tigers love pepper...
    1:22 or 2:52 maybe?

http://www.vimeo.com/2247689

comforter smasher
    Apr 2005
    how about the hip that merges back onto the trail after the stepdown-drop shelf rock-amajigger. judges?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mizunkee
    how about the hip that merges back onto the trail after the stepdown-drop shelf rock-amajigger. judges?
    You are correct sir!
    Loose is fast, on the edge is out of control.

should know better.....
    cobi, excellent vid with the two helmet cams.
    Having never ridden Free Lunch (opened since I was last out there..) that is the first vid that gives a sense of the trail, and terrain is travels over. Can't wait to hit it!!
    Very nice.
    "Always Ride."

-Anthony S.

Tigers love pepper...
    Quote Originally Posted by neverwalk
    cobi, excellent vid with the two helmet cams.
    Having never ridden Free Lunch (opened since I was last out there..) that is the first vid that gives a sense of the trail, and terrain is travels over. Can't wait to hit it!!
    Very nice.
    Just for clarification.. not MY videos. They are pretty well done though! I still think helmet cams make that trail look more tame than it really is. A couple of those drops they hit without even slowing down are pretty big. I liked these videos because you see pretty much the whole trail from start to finish.

mtbr member

Free Lunch Conditions on 12-3-09

Rode up in that vicinity with pivotpoint today. It was COLD but dusty dry. If it stays this cold, any bit of moisture we get will be there for a while, so get out there and hammer while you still can!
    www.yeticycles.com
    SHIMANO SAINT
    Smith Optics
    Maxxis Tires
    www.mrpbike.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Nice riding fellas.....excellent viewpoint and good tunes. Sending link to brother in Florida to show him what to expect when he comes out here next summer.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Noah's MRP video has some FreeLunch in it..

a dad
    Jan 2004
    november trip...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Free Lunch pics-14540_1256338938053_1516992894_667691_3146739_n.jpg  

BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

a dad
    Jan 2004
    jumping a tree... haha
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Free Lunch pics-11841_731730633923_14207919_41856028_3473896_n.jpg  

BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast