mtbr member
    May 2005

Possibly moving to Grand junction

I live in Denver but have interviewed for a job in Grand Junction and I'm trying to find out more about the area. I know the mountain biking is great. Anybody have thoughts on Grand Junction as a place to live, good areas of town, how are the schools (married with kids) etc...?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    We moved here in June, and I couldn't be happier with the decision. The people are great! Very friendly. What grades are your kids? Mine are in elementary school, and we're very happy with their school. And yes the mountain biking is great. Very great.

2006 Yeti AS-X
    I don't live there but have visited there the last 3 years and can tell you that you will absolutely love the mountain biking scene. The folks there are friendly and I wish I could live there myself - I am always looking out for a good IT job there and if the good Lord sends one my way - i am sooo out there myself.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmike View Post
    Anybody have thoughts on Grand Junction as a place to live, good areas of town, how are the schools (married with kids) etc...?
    Grand Junction is a great place to live. I've lived here for six years and have no intentions of leaving. Everyone that I've worked with in the past in Grand Junction that has since left, regrets it. Some people think it is a bit small, but personally, it is just the right fit for myself and my family.

The Redlands is a good area of town. Are you looking for a place with some acreage? What general area of town would you be working?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the info! Answering some questions from above: My kids are not in school yet, but i don't want to buy a place and then realize I'm in a poor area for schools. My wife and I drove through the Redlands and liked it, we're not looking for acreage, but a large garage/shop would be nice for all the toys. I would be working near down town GJ.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmike View Post
    Thanks for the info! Answering some questions from above: My kids are not in school yet, but i don't want to buy a place and then realize I'm in a poor area for schools. My wife and I drove through the Redlands and liked it, we're not looking for acreage, but a large garage/shop would be nice for all the toys. I would be working near down town GJ.
    I live off of S. Camp in the Redlands. I've heard good things about the schools in the Redlands, but I am like you, kids not in school yet, so I can't vouch for the schools. From a mtn biking point- of- view, living in the Redlands gets you close to the Lunch Loops. That is a good thing,but can be a bad thing, if you find yourself always going there out of convience and not diversifying to the other trailheads. Redlands would also be close to Downtown
    . PM me if you need a reference for a realtor (bought a different house in GJ in the last year).

Des(s)ert Rat
    If you're looking to move to the Redlands, look for something in the Scenic Elementary attendance area. Either that, or look into the Dual Immersion Academy (Spanish/English). Both have very low class sizes.