mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Poncha Springs Camping

I apologize if this has been beaten to death, but I really couldn't find much of anything with the search function.

I'm going to be in Poncha Springs Thursday and Friday night to ride. I'm going to take the shuttle up to Monarch Pass on Friday to ride Crest > Silver Creek > Rainbow, weather permitting (thanks for the heads-up on route name specifics, TomP). Can anyone recommend some good areas to camp? I'm fine with either dispersed or fee-area. Preferably an easy ride to Poncha Springs in the morning to catch the 8am shuttle (already reserved). I'll be riding solo, most likely, so if anyone would like to join me, let me know.

Also, any recommendations for a 4-ish hour ride for Saturday morning would be good, too. I've got to be at a wedding in the afternoon, so no epics...

Thanks in advance for your help.

-DS

Edit: I don't know if this should go in the Front Range or Western Slope section, I'll try here first. Technically, it drains east in Poncha Springs...

White and nerdy
    May 2012
    You could camp up by the shirley site. Drive up poncha pass about 6ish miles and take the right on CR 200 (marshall pass road). Go up about two miles and you can look for sites. There are some nice ones in the first half mile of poncha creek road. It would be an easy coast down to the shuttle in the am, and 2 mileride to your camp when your done the crest.

Saturday am, starvation creek or bear creek.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Great info, thanks!

One more question: Any idea of where I might be able to locate a pay shower in either Poncha Springs or Salida?

Schipperkes are cool.
    Salida hot springs Pool has pay showers, or just come to Absolute Bikes and jump in the river behind the shop!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.