mtbr member

Please help - last minute - something "close" to vail?

Meeting friends in vail tomorrow and the plan was to head to eagle to ride abrams (i think thats it) but time is becoming an issue. does anyone have any intel on something closer to vail that might be ridable this time of year? looking for something around 2 hours or so ride time at a casual pace...

any help is greatly appreciated....

Large and In Charge
    Eagle isn't too far away, maybe 20-30 minutes, easy drive on the interstate. There's the Berry Creek trail near Edwards, it's good to go right now, there's the Avon - Singletree connector trail, it is up and running now, goes between Avon and Edwards. I personally haven't ever done it, because I live in Eagle, and I can access all kinds of goods from my driveway. There is still a lot of snow and mud in the mountains in and around Vail, so there is a lot more open in Eagle right now, than around Vail. Eagle is lower and a little dryer. It is pouring now, but if it doesn't keep up all night, the trails will be tacky hero dirt. If it does keep up, please don't ride in the mud as it will destroy our mostly buff flowy moneyness.

If you don't have a lot of time, but are willing to drive to Eagle, search for the Boneyard area. It is close to the exit, and some nice rides there. Boneyard is flowy switchbacky, mostly ridden as an uphill, but fun down too. There's fire road access uphill as well. Downhill there's Redneck Ridge, flowy, with a little bit of everything. It loops back to the Boneyard trailhead. There's the Ice Rink ride, which starts out twisty, then goes into some user friendly bermy freeride type stuff with some optional kickers thrown in the mix. If you ride that, you end up a few blocks away in town, but if you can navigate the bike path, you can find the Charlie Brown trail, which is a connector that takes you back near the trailhead. Also at the Ice Rink is the Haymaker trail which is kind of a figure 8 type setup with some nice XC stuff with some short fast downhills thrown in with berms and kickers.

Hope that helps, hopefully the weather holds up. Check out Eagleoutside.com or any of the trail sites for more details. If you are here exploring more than a day, get the Mountain Bike Eagle book.

Enjoy!

mtbr member
    thanks for the helpful post - we ended up doing berry and we had a great time - did the road up and then went out past the power lines a bit and ended up going down the main singletrack decent. very fun down - lots of switchbacks which i guess i prefer to climb, but fun nonetheless. some nice steeps and decent little drops with easy-out options if you choose.... all in all - kinda perfect for a crew with only a couple of hours for ride and drive from vail...