Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Phil's World

mtbr member

Phil's World

Cortez has it going on!!! Went to Phil's world yesterday and I have to say that whoever is involved with building the trails has done the best work I have seen to date. Thank you!!! There has to be at least 20 miles of trail that rails. Wish I took some pictures but I was to busy riding the sweet terrain. Thanks again!
    Loose is fast, on the edge is out of control.

mtbr member
    yes I'll agree. I roe Phils a few weeks ago and it was simply awesome. The whoops in ribcage and past that were freakin great. I'll be coming back someday

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    26 miles currently, with a few more in the works! Should have another new loop complete by Fall. Thanks. Glad you all had fun!!!

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    I lovelovelove Phil's World, it just sucks that we live in Boulder and don't get down there all that often. My favourite kind of singletrack ever: smooth, flowy, swoopy and uninhabited!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lonefrontranger
    I lovelovelove Phil's World, it just sucks that we live in Boulder and don't get down there all that often. My favourite kind of singletrack ever: smooth, flowy, swoopy and uninhabited!
    Sucks for you, for us, it keeps it ... "uninhabited"
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Dont let cbrossman get under your skin.He is just bitter that his brand new ss sits unridden in his garage
    "Uninhabited"?? That's not how the parking lot looks on a weekend,hehe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I rode Phil's last summer. really fun place. I was lucky to hook up with a local who took me on the grand tour
    www.24hrBikeShop.com 10% of your purchase price is donated to the trail organization of your choice!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just got back from a 2 week vacation split between Breckenridge and Durango, and tried Phil's for the first time. The whole family ( wife, 14 year old son, 9 year old daughter and myself ) managed 14 miles. and had a great time. What are those cool lizards that have the yellowish heads and the green/blue bodies out there? We had one checking us out as we were fixing a couple of flats and having a snack...Really fun trails that the family can enjoy together.

mtbr member
    Collared Lizards.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    Collared Lizards.
    Are those related to collard greens?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Anyone notice a trail reroute around the Abajo (I think) climb before the rib cage? Seemed extra sandy and a slightly different route then I remembered. Maybe it was just the sand that made it seem different.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks BeanMan, my wife was oh so close to getting an up close picture of one but he decided better of it... Fast little turds! How does Sand Canyon compare? I understand it is in that area.

Towlie for prez
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad
    Thanks BeanMan, my wife was oh so close to getting an up close picture of one but he decided better of it... Fast little turds! How does Sand Canyon compare? I understand it is in that area.
    Sand canyon is totally different.It's like a "mini" moab.About 1k lower in elevation....hot in summer! Def worth checking out if not too hot out.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by zx6rpete
    Anyone notice a trail reroute around the Abajo (I think) climb before the rib cage? Seemed extra sandy and a slightly different route then I remembered. Maybe it was just the sand that made it seem different.
    I'm not sure that's a re-route. If we're thinking about the same piece of trail, then it's the short cut connector from lower Rib Cage back to Abajo. They put it in so you can lap Rib Cage without poaching private property (which I think people were doing prior to the connector).
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Last time I was there Abajo was re-routed slightly just before you climb up on top of the cliff band...just before Cortez Lookout. Coco Race had a re-route just before you drop into the wash. I think all the work was done before 12 Hours of Mesa Verde.

Phil's World is so awesome!!! Keep up the great work down there!!!

mtbr member
    Pictures please!

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve
    Pictures please!

That's Sand Canyon... Phil's is too fun to stop for photos
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard – website

2006 Yeti AS-X
    Quote Originally Posted by BeanMan
    Collared Lizards.
    Here is a collared lizard. Very cool lizards. I bent down to get a pic and he struck a pose for me.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

Singletrack Addict
    Jun 2011
    I'm really excited to be heading out to Phil's this coming weekend. Anyone have tips on other trails in the area? We are camping at Mesa Verde NP.

Lord Thigh Master
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawson Raider View Post
    Here is a collared lizard. Very cool lizards. I bent down to get a pic and he struck a pose for me.
    That is an Awesome Lizard pic!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I've never been there, does Phil's World get gooey when it's wet? We will be going through that area on the way to the San Juan river and are contemplating bringing bikes. It looks like the Monsoon is starting to really kick in.

Lord Thigh Master
    Jul 2012
    It would be messy when wet. The good thing is that it takes a really good storm to get really wet in Cortez as it is lower elevation. Odds are it will be dry....as it doesn't rain often. I think. maybe. possibly....

Team Velveeta™

hard-bake or peanut butter

Quote Originally Posted by jryter View Post
    It would be messy when wet. The good thing is that it takes a really good storm to get really wet in Cortez as it is lower elevation. Odds are it will be dry....as it doesn't rain often. I think. maybe. possibly....
    It's hardbake clay. If it gets wet enough to saturate that clay it's as bad as it gets. Think, bikes so clogged up with clay that they are too heavy to carry.

That said, it takes quite a bit of moisture to saturate the clay, as jryter says. Maybe even more than one rain; good long soaking. Since it's hard-bake the first splash of rain tends to run off. And that makes it tacky.
    Tom Purvis - Salida, CO - http://teamvelveeta.tom-purvis.com

"I like my wimmen like I like my beer--cold and bitter!"

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TomP View Post
    It's hardbake clay. If it gets wet enough to saturate that clay it's as bad as it gets. Think, bikes so clogged up with clay that they are too heavy to carry.

That said, it takes quite a bit of moisture to saturate the clay, as jryter says. Maybe even more than one rain; good long soaking. Since it's hard-bake the first splash of rain tends to run off. And that makes it tacky.
    Got it, thanks. There's a hurricane remnant spinning in the Baja California area that's probably going to be pumping moisture into the four corners area for a few days is why I asked. We'll be looking for side canyon flash floods.

XC racer
    May 2005
    Got to experience Phil's World for one all too brief ride last summer enroute to nationals in ID. Leaving today for a week in Durango and we plan on hitting PW's probably Monday as early as we can get the cats herded up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast