Thread: Phil's World??

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Phil's World??

Coming to the Durango area this weekend and have heard about Phil's. Just wondering if it's snowed in or not. Don't want to bring bikes with us if the trail is all wet and muddy.
    WTF

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I rode Sand Canyon on Wednesday. Conditions were perfect. Maybe consider it instead. We passed on Phil's. It just looked wet and muddy. I rode Horse Gulch this morning while it was still frozen (8am to 11am). Conditions were superb. Still some snow in spots, but not a problem. I would think that you could approach Phil's the same way -- get it early so the potentially muddy sections are hard and frozen.

3 Legged Big Top
    Mar 2009
    Cant give a conditions report, but I can say try to get a ride in there if you can. It's well worth it even if you gotta ride early like said above

mtbr member
    If you are coming through Cortez, stop and ask at Kokopelli, they will know.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Thanks all!
    WTF

FT$
    mtbr member
    "Party on, Wayne"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Ended up doing the Horse Gulch area as we ran out of time. Some mighty fine riding you all have down there. All the parks and trails right out of town. Hate to say it but can't wait to move there. Looked at some houses while in the area and liked what we saw. Hoping for an early retirement...
    WTF

mtbr member
    May 2007
    We're heading up next Tues. the 1st.through the 5th. Might bring the bikes if the conditions hold up. How was the Horse Gulch area eddyturn? Did you try from the Sale Barn side at all? Where is Sand Canyon?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    We did it out of the parking area/trailhead at the east end of 3rd. Seems like there were several people doing the same thing / place.

Sand Canyon is west of Cortez but can't tell you exactly how to get there as I tossed the directions somewhere in out trash. Go to the MTBR Colo trails and look for Sand Canyon and that's were we got the description.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...8_5843crx.aspx
    WTF

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A friend told me Mancos got almost an inch of snow last night, so Phil's might take a few days to dry out. The storm largely missed Durango. Horse Gulch was fine today even after a bit of rain yesterday. I am going to check out the Sale Barn side tomorrow.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by sanjuanswan
    A friend told me Mancos got almost an inch of snow last night, so Phil's might take a few days to dry out. The storm largely missed Durango. Horse Gulch was fine today even after a bit of rain yesterday. I am going to check out the Sale Barn side tomorrow.
    Rode Phil's today. Was a little wet/slimy in a few spots, but not too bad (Its a different trail when its all damp.) If the area can avoid rain/snow for a few days, it should be in great shape by the weekend.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Horse Gulch is money right now. Rode Telegraph>Old Car Loop>Sidewinder>Skull Rock>Big Canyon and the whole thing was dry except for a few patches of snow.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    Horse Gulch is money right now. Rode Telegraph>Old Car Loop>Sidewinder>Skull Rock>Big Canyon and the whole thing was dry except for a few patches of snow.
    S-Fu and I rode Raider's, Mike's, and Stacy's yesterday, conditions don't suck.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad
    We're heading up next Tues. the 1st.through the 5th. Might bring the bikes if the conditions hold up. How was the Horse Gulch area eddyturn? Did you try from the Sale Barn side at all? Where is Sand Canyon?
    Sand Canyon is southwest of Cortez in McElmo Canyon about 13 miles west of the stop light intersection off highway 191. Was a truck stop at the light but closed last time I was there.
    agmtb