Thread: Paonia Trails

code: mtbr2011

Paonia Trails

thinking of avoiding fruita this weekend and heading to Paonia to ride. a buddy of mine told me there was good riding there, but didn't have any beta on the trails.

does anybody know about riding in/near paonia? seems pretty lowland, so i would assume stuff outside of the raggeds would be dry.

i appreciate the insight.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    How did it go? I may be heading over there this weekend. Thanks!

code: mtbr2011
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd
    How did it go? I may be heading over there this weekend. Thanks!
    we didn't go...weather was a mess here. wasn't sure it was any better there....

gonna try again in a few weeks...
    i did call galaxy bike shop in town, and they said come in for some trail beta...the trails, apparently, aren't that well marked....so i was told.

good luck, have fun and report back.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Super, thanks! I'll post something if I actually get over there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Stop at the school bus that's been converted to a bike shop. Super nice guy, forget his name, he'll give you a map that looks like the one in the link below. I tried to make a more usable one (also in link), not too sure of it's accuracy as I've only ridden a few of the trails over a couple trips last summer. Fun stuff- similar to 18rd, but not buffed out and it might be a little messed up from the rainy spring. Best to climb Slantndicular and then descend it or any of the other trails. Can also make some fun loops on the lowers, but I wouldn't try to ascend ridge of doom, jumbo ridge, or rock n roll.

Some great food in town, especially the farmhouse dinners on friday nights at Fresh and Wyld (also a B&B). Farm stands, vineyards, and a brewery too.

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...07#post2986607

mtbr member
    Thanks I will have to give Paonia a try.
    " They May forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them Feel"
    Carl. W. Buechner

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Paonia trails are pretty bad ass. Someone buffed out these trails, and for the ridge trails (not sure its name) it is definitely an advanced trail. I will ride more of these trails in the next few days and report back.

The dude who made it.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracksandracks.com View Post
    thinking of avoiding fruita this weekend and heading to Paonia to ride. a buddy of mine told me there was good riding there, but didn't have any beta on the trails.

does anybody know about riding in/near paonia? seems pretty lowland, so i would assume stuff outside of the raggeds would be dry.

i appreciate the insight.
    Paonia is a great place to traverse over to Crested Butte

making tracks

Witty McWitterson
    I lived and worked in Paonia back in the mid 90's before any of this developed. You could certainly see the potential of great riding there though! Once did a ride along the base of the Raggeds that still ranks as one of the better rides I did while there. Would love to see some photos of these if any one has any!
    Just a regular guy.

gnar, brah
    Rode Ridge of Doom today, but climbed up a trail that wasn't on that above map, as far as I could tell.

Anyway, I was on the way back to CB after two days out at 18rd, also rode Horsethief and Free Lunch and I though Ridge of Doom was the best trail I rode all weekend. Really surprised me how fast and flowy it was. Classic ridge-line trail like Joe's or Zippety out at 18rd, but overall just felt bigger and faster. Went with a local, and intend to explore more especially since its right over Kebler and its getting hot in the desert.

If some work was done to get better trail maps and signage out there, the trails on Mt. Jumbo could easily be some of the best in Colorado. Unless Ridge of Doom is an outlier, but I really doubt it.
    Trestle Bike Park

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    Its all riding really nice , albeit it needs rain, like everywhere else. Took the dog to the doc, dropped her off for surgery and rode the last 3 wks in a row. Jumbo kicks ass, like fruita on steriods with real decents..

mtbr member
    May 2008
    This area sound really cool, and well worth a rd trip from Durango. If you had one day to ride there, and prefer challenging, technical trails, what link up would you recommend?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Give the new bike shop a call or shoot them an email:
    galaxybikeandsport.com

Hutch is my Hero
    Oct 2005
    My son just moved to Hotchkiss from the Front Range and We did a quick beta test of Jumbo Mountain. Road tom's trail>slant-n-dickular>ridge of doom> tom's. Wow, lot's of fun. Gotta' get back and do the whole thing. Here is a couple of photos and a flat.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Paonia Trails-img_0206.jpg  

Paonia Trails-img_0207.jpg  

Paonia Trails-img_0208.jpg  

Paonia Trails-img_0210.jpg  

Paonia Trails-img_0211.jpg  

Paonia Trails-img_0212.jpg  

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

Good job!

I rode them last year while attending the Top of the Rockies BMW rally in Paonia.The trails are quite a work out and a very unexpected pleasure.
    Great work from those local riders who put it all together!
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Hutch is my Hero
    Oct 2005
    I bet the rally was fun!
    X2 on the trail crew.

Yes it is fun!! The TOR is an annual event and one of the best rally's around. Small enough to see familiar peeps every year. The trails are a huge bonus and a few motorcyclists bring mtbs to Paonia too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dream on two wheels
    Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about Galaxy Bike shop closing in Paonia. I was at the brewery across the street a couple weeks ago and a realtor was showing the bike shop to a family. I just checked their website too and the domain name is expired. Bummer if so.
    Whiskey

Oh boy that would suck for the cycling community, however I can see it would be a meager income as the town is pretty sleepy.
    The BMW rally brings a much needed cash infusion every year and the town bends over backwards to have all of us every year.

I dream on two wheels
    Yeah that would suck. Where is the next closest bike shop?
    Whiskey

I would think that Delta has a shop. Gunnison has one for sure and so do Crested Butte and Glenwood Springs..

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Has anyone ridden Paonia yet this spring? Dry yet?
    Rode here a couple of times last nov/dec and was blown away. Like a cross between Phils and 18rd. but with more vert. Galaxy looked to be open, just not on the Sun. I was there.

scrappy
    Apr 2006
    Galaxy is open, sorry I don't know the hours. The owner had a handfull of new bikes and looked to be staying open. I was there the last week in March and the trails were 98% dry; only a teensy bit of snow on the highest portions. Not sure what has happened in Paonia weather wise since then. Have fun!