mtbr member

Paonia Area Riding

Greetings from a neighbor in NM. My son and I will be in Paonia for 4 days toward the end of July and are looking for a trail to ride. One day we plan to go over the mountain to Crested Butte so he can ride his downhill bike (while the old man grinds to the top). We rode the 401 trail there last year; stunning scenery, so-so ride. Looking for something a bit more tech, though not death-defying. Would be nice to find something closer to Paonia for one of the other days. Thanks for any advice.

PS: Yes, I checked the sticky for trails. Sorry for the additional clutter, but I don't see the area of interest. Looked for Paonia, Crawford, Delta, Grand Mesa, Hotchkiss.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There is at least one good Paonia thread from awhile back. Use the Search Forum feature.

mtbr member
    This might help.

Paonia, Fruita, or ?

mtbr member
    Perfect! And the trail head is right there. Big thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Paonia is an awesome undiscovered gem- you'll have fun. In CB, you've done stunning scenery and so-so ride, now reverse it- Doctor's park has so-so scenery, but is tough to beat.

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide
    I have done the Paonia trails a few years back during the 'Top of the Rockies' rally held by the Colorado BMW motorcycle club. They are really neat and I had a lot of fun there. Bring plenty of water though!! Pretty dry in that area.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Rock n' Roller
    Haven't yet had the opportunity to ride the trails in Paonia, but I've heard nothing but stellar things about them.

Doctor's Park in CB is incredible downhill; Strand is a local's favorite for good reason and is my go to after work/lunch break trail (Strand is a bit short, especially if you park at the Brush Creek Trailhead - a good option is to link it with Ferris for even more delightfully techy, fun singletrack). 402 is an undiscovered gem. And if you don't mind working hard for your ride, Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman's is amazing. Reno road is just that, a road. Flag is so-so, but the Bear and Deadman's downhill can't be beat. Seriously. I dream about those switchbacks. Sweet sweet switchbacks. If friends come into town and want to ride 401, I take them to Reno/Flag/Bear/Deadman's. There's never disappointment.

Have a blast!

^ Thanks for the info on Flag/Bear etc.. I haven't ridden that trail yet but will in a few weeks... CB is just an amazing area specially coming from flat Florida...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If you are interested in doing the Reno/flag/bear/deadmans loop and making it a big more sea level friendly, try riding up Italian pass road to Reno, take reno double track til it turns to single track then taking a left down more 2x track to the top of bear. At the end of bear, head up Deadmans and then down deadman switchbacks to car. Combines the best descents of the ride without as much tough climbing. Also Doctors or 409.5 to 402 are just awesome. As for Paonia, the Mt. Doom trail is where it is at.

^ Thanks for the info!!
    I have been training in the heat and humidity which is almost like riding a 5K feet and have been doing plenty of 20-30 mile rides almost daily for the last few weeks when work allowed. I have no altitude issues once I get acclimatized after a week or so and I will have done plenty of pre-riding in Hartman Rocks in Gunisson prior to doing all the big trails in and around CB.