on your left

Ouray Ridding and Camping Recommendationsí

Iím heading to Ouray for a few days with the family. Iím planning on breaking away to get in some limited ridding (1 - 4 hour rides) and was looking for both trail and campsite recommendations.

After doing a bit of research the Amphitheater Campground caught my attention???

Plus if anyone is familiar with the immediate area, suggestions to keep the wife, and 3 year old occupied while i ride would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks

zul
    Will Guide for Beer

Yankee Boy

The Amphitheatre is a great camp ground and good location to town. Better 'book it' online soon, availability is often a problem. Things to do includes the Hot Springs Pool, will keep Mama and baby occupied for hours each day.

Riding: Just outside of town is Camp Bird Road, a basic dirt road that turns 4wd taking you up to Yankee Boy Basin. Beyond beautiful. There are no real single track trails that I am familiar with, but when you have dirt roads like this, who cares. I think it's 8 miles of dirt road to the basin where you'll find several splits along the way that could take all summer to explore. This is accessable from the pool or Amp camp sites.
    If lovin you is wrong, I don't wanna be right

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zul

Riding: Just outside of town is Camp Bird Road, a basic dirt road that turns 4wd taking you up to Yankee Boy Basin. Beyond beautiful. There are no real single track trails that I am familiar with, but when you have dirt roads like this, who cares. I think it's 8 miles of dirt road to the basin where you'll find several splits along the way that could take all summer to explore. This is accessable from the pool or Amp camp sites.
    I've gone Camp Bird Road and it's pretty amazing - and lately I've been spying the Richmond Trail which would drop one down to Ironton. Hoping to check that out sometime this summer - that might indeed be some singletrack. Anyone here been on the Richmond?

on your left
    Amphitheater & Camp Bird it is! Thanks for your post. Iím looking forward to doing some Ouray exploring.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    If you can't get in at the Ampatheatre CG check out the CG out at Angel Creek. It's ~2 miles up Camp Bird Rd. and really quiet. Depending on how much you want to ride you could even check out Imogene Pass Rd. (branches off Camp Bird at the old Sneffels townsite). That'll take you over to Telluride. I was up there (Yankee Boy) hiking over the 4th of July weekend and thought about riding out there sometime. You should have fun.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    Anyone here been on the Richmond?
    No, but I think you'd want to ride from the Ironton side up and over to Camp Bird unless you were going out and back. I'll bet the scenery from Richmond Pass is on another level all together.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    No, but I think you'd want to ride from the Ironton side up and over to Camp Bird unless you were going out and back. I'll bet the scenery from Richmond Pass is on another level all together.
    That was my original thought, but it evolved into this ~quickish loop up Camp Bird, down Richmond, back to Ouray on one of the days I have work up that way.

But before that it was a long one from Silverton through Corkscrew pass and then up Richmond-Imogene-T-Ride-Prospect-Alta-Ophir, etc and back. Richmond was the big question mark...is it rideable or do I have to account for a long hike-a-bike.

Time will tell....I'll get to it soon enough.