Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004

Other shuttle ops besides Hermosa?

Seems as though the good folks at Hermosa Shuttle are heading for greener pastures this weekend, and our crew of 4 is left contemplating whether we can still do a Kennebec-Town shuttle using someone else, either Friday or Saturday (preferred). Any recommendations? To be clear, dates are either Oct. 4 or 5. We're aiming to do Molas-Cola Bank-Cascade the other day, but we've got those logistics covered. Thanks,
    - Joe
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Have you confirmed the trails are passable up there? We had a pretty significant storm just a few days ago. They were skiing a few feet of powder in Silverton and all the high mountain 4x4 roads are now closed for the season.
    Hermosa has the right idea!
    Randy

mtbr member
    Matt is not closed for the season, just really busy.
    I suspect the roads will be snow free by the weekend if not already. The bigger issue may well be trees and debris from recent hard rains.
    I have no good answer other than you could consider doing it from town, and to make it a little less painfull by riding up Junction Creek road and hoping on the Colorado from their. You don't hit the pass, but get to do much of the good stuff.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Thanks guys. I'd assumed that the weather had been warm enough to melt off the worst of that early snow, but perhaps that's a poor assumption, so thanks for the heads-up. Matt said he was heading for Fruita/GJ on the 3rd, so he's not available. We'll look into shuttling it ourselves but accessing the ride from a lower option. What's the dirt road that you cross soon after dropping below the scree field and the first couple stream crossings? Or better just to ride up 204 and loop it as opposed to shuttling? Thx again,
    - Joe

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    This website (got it from googling, so I can't vouch for its accuracy) describes how to get to that TH if you shuttle or bike it: Four Corners Hikes-Dolores River Valley Colorado: Colorado Trail at Kennebec Pass & Taylor Lake

mtbr member
    I believe you are referring to Champion Ventures Road. That would be the left you want to make off of Junction Creek Road (204?) to hit the Colorado.
    The climb up to that point is toughest from town to Animas Overlook, about 7 miles. There is still a fair amount of dirt road riding after that, but not as steep.
    In the past, if we wanted a bit of a shuttle, we'd get dropped off at the Overlook and ride from there. You'll end up at the trail head, where your second car would be.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    That's it! I remember the name now that you mention it, and I believe it's the same TH as bagwhan linked. It occurred to me while listening to the evening news today that the USFS might have the gate at Junction Creek CG locked, but I assume we'll find primitive camping further up the road. Thx for the beta, guys.
    - Joe

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    If Junction Creek CG is closed, I recommend United Campgrounds on Animas View Dr. (the last stoplight leaving town heading north). There are showers and the campsites are on shaded grass. It's nothing fancy, but its a place to sleep with showers.

Durango Colorado Campgrounds

Basura Blanca
    Jan 2004
    Thanks for the recommendation. Nice folks at United - I stayed there w/ my daughter over Labor Day - but they've already got the grassy tent area closed for the season and at ~$30, they're kinda spendy when family is not along.

Quote Originally Posted by rippling over canyons View Post
    If Junction Creek CG is closed, I recommend United Campgrounds on Animas View Dr. (the last stoplight leaving town heading north). There are showers and the campsites are on shaded grass. It's nothing fancy, but its a place to sleep with showers.

Durango Colorado Campgrounds
    We rejoice in our suffering, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character.

Agent of tang
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NuMexJoe View Post
    That's it! I remember the name now that you mention it, and I believe it's the same TH as bagwhan linked. It occurred to me while listening to the evening news today that the USFS might have the gate at Junction Creek CG locked, but I assume we'll find primitive camping further up the road. Thx for the beta, guys.
    - Joe
    Yeah, it's one and the same. I believe that there's no at large camping permitted until you pass the Overlook, but once you are past that point, there's lots of sites (but it will be cold as you're then over 9000').