linkwvu
    Oct 2012

OT: Summer Vacation Advice

Hey Everybody, looking to make a trip out West from July 19th-24th... Hoping someone could give me some suggestions. Basically looking for a cool town with good pubs, good eating, decent nightlife. Wife and I ride and would love to get at least one day of riding in (renting bikes) the other couple doesn't ride but might be open to it, so other things to do would be great also.... Any cool town suggestions? Thanks for any replies. Cheers!

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Utah.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    "out west" is a pretty big area...I'm assuming you are looking at the western slope area since you posted in this forum. I would look at Durango or Crested Butte. Fruita/Grand Junction has great riding as well, but is a bit too hot that time of year in my opinion. I'm bias toward crested butte since I live here, but we've got good food/beer, some of the best trails in CO, no crowds, great scenery and plenty of other things to do.

Not sure what the other couple likes to do, but we have plenty of hiking, Black Canyon National park just down the road, and lots of wineries in the paonia area just 45 min from CB. The zip line and other activities at the ski area would be fun as well.

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    "out west" is a pretty big area...I'm assuming you are looking at the western slope area since you posted in this forum. I would look at Durango or Crested Butte. Fruita/Grand Junction has great riding as well, but is a bit too hot that time of year in my opinion. I'm bias toward crested butte since I live here, but we've got good food/beer, some of the best trails in CO, no crowds, great scenery and plenty of other things to do.

Not sure what the other couple likes to do, but we have plenty of hiking, Black Canyon National park just down the road, and lots of wineries in the paonia area just 45 min from CB. The zip line and other activities at the ski area would be fun as well.
    Yep, I was looking at the Western Slope guess I should have said that..... Funny thing is that I was leaning towards Crested Butte, would love to hit 401. Appreciate the info man, maybe grab a beer if we head that way. Thanks!

Tigers love pepper...
    It will be hot in GJ/Fruita. I would agree to stay in the mountain towns if possible. Durango, Crested Butte, Telluride etc are all cool towns with great riding.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkWVUin FL View Post
    Yep, I was looking at the Western Slope guess I should have said that..... Funny thing is that I was leaning towards Crested Butte, would love to hit 401. Appreciate the info man, maybe grab a beer if we head that way. Thanks!
    yea 401 is the standard must do trail for anybody new to riding here. If you have more time there are a ton of other great rides here such as strand, dyke, snodgrass, lupine, reno/flag/bear/deadmans, doctor's park, ect. Let me know when you'll be in town, my wife and I love riding/showing people around town and the trails here.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    My fiance and I spent a 10 days last year in CO in mid July. We stopped in Salida, Crested Butte and Durango. Crested Butte was our favorite. I think BDKeg actually gave me some suggestions, too. It's a great place, and my favorite of the three locations we visited.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Definitely make a stop in Telluride. Just look at a few pictures of it on the web and you will know why. I highly recommend the Prospect trail, to Jurassic, to Meadows, to the River Trail. You get alot of free uphill taken care of for you from the free gondola, ultimately bringing you back to Telluride. There is also a free downhill park with a beginner trail that has a bunch of huge berms to ride. There is a river right through town and it is a popular spot for tubing (a great post ride activity), which are rentable.

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cool View Post
    Definitely make a stop in Telluride. Just look at a few pictures of it on the web and you will know why. I highly recommend the Prospect trail, to Jurassic, to Meadows, to the River Trail. You get alot of free uphill taken care of for you from the free gondola, ultimately bringing you back to Telluride. There is also a free downhill park with a beginner trail that has a bunch of huge berms to ride. There is a river right through town and it is a popular spot for tubing (a great post ride activity), which are rentable.
    Sounds pretty cool, thanks for the info!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Aspen's pretty nice too!

Here's a little vid they sent me this morning.