mtbr member

One-day road trip suggestions

Imagine you're in Boulder, you have 24 hours to drive, camp and ride, starting tomorrow afternoon: where would you go?

My riding preferences are more Picture Rock than Lower Bitterbrush; more 18 Road than Lunch Loops.

Any ideas? If it was later in the season I'd go ride Monarch Crest. I'm leaning towards going back to Fruita for the 3rd time this year. I know it's too early for the true High Country, but there must be some excellent "mid-country" that's melted out by now.

Thanks for any suggestions!

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Summit County is pretty much July conditions right now. I'd imagine the whole Winter Park area is the same. Salida/Arkansas Valley would also be a good option. There's also Buff Creek. If you have only 24 hrs, much further than those places and you're getting diminishing returns on the time spent riding vs the time spent driving ratio.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by moishe View Post
    I know it's too early for the true High Country, but there must be some excellent "mid-country" that's melted out by now.
    It's been so freakin dry here in crested butte it's not even funny...total July conditions right now. Fruita is way too hot right now, 90s for the highs everyday, unless you like heat

mtbr member
    Thanks for the suggestions! Just looked at the weather in Fruita and you're right: it's too hot.
    Crested Butte sounds awfully tempting, will play it by ear based on when I can get out of town.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    doctors park near gunnison is riding prime. but may be a bit more technical then you're looking for.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sra1218 View Post
    doctors park near gunnison is riding prime. but may be a bit more technical then you're looking for.
    reno/flag/bear/deadman's was pretty nice the other day, could use some rain though, lots of moon dust and some sand to contend with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by moishe View Post
    Imagine you're in Boulder,
    No thanks. I'd rather be someplace that doesn't suck.
    Your fear of looking stupid is holding you back.