mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Nipple Peak Lopez Creek Loop- Steamboat

A friend told me he rode this and it was some of the best singletrack he's ridden in Colorado. True? Everything I read says it's really technical. I'm worried this trail, given it's sorta "out there," would be way too hard and I'd be stuck in like an 8 hour epic.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    I wouldn't say its really technical, parts maybe, but you do get far out there, and keep your head up, and map at hand, I've missed turns and ended up 10miles off route. Noone up there but sheaphearders, and motocyclists. It is a great ride, but I think Coulton Creek, Scott's Run, with Burn Ridge, (off Seadhouse rd) is much better trail. Motorcycle use is allowed on Nipple Peak, but not on Coutlon Creek. The Prospector section of Nipple is the best part. I rode counterclockwise and it was a 3.5hr ride. It has a couple of steady climbs with a steeper section that i sometimes need to hike, but well worth the adventure, and if you park on Iron Springs rd(fs488) and ride up the paved road (cr129) to the "start" the loop ends with a nice flowy downhill for 5-6 miles.

If you are looking at the BTUSA Bike Guide, the Rock Creek/Tepee Creek ride is a bit shorter, and has great singletrack as well. It's at the other end of the county, but rustic, well built trail that never sees motorcycles, or heavy horse tracks. The guide has a Seedhouse rd page that shows the Coulton Creek ride. i do it backwards from this guide, start at South Fork trailhead, Back down Seedhouse to FT1188 (coulton creek) up to the cutover to FT1177 (Hinman Creek) to Diamond Park. Join the Wyoming Trail (FT1101) back down to Seedhouse rd, up the road to Burn Ridge (FT1100) that has 6 mile of bliss that ends back at your car.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Like sbsbiker says Nipple Peak isn't the most technical. I don't ride it often but whenever I do, I always come back exhausted. There is quite a bit of climbing and just when I think I'm done climbing, we climb some more. It's a fun ride but definitely make sure you bring a map with you. When I rode it last summer, we took the "other mt. bike trail" as shown on the map. It was super fun but then it crossed into private property. We then had to turn and climb out. We followed what we thought was the trail but then it disappeared. It was a game trail. We ended up hike a biking for about a mile or so following a creek until we got back out to FT 1147. If we would have stayed on the main trail we would have been fine. It just added some adventure.

I second the recommendation for Coulton Creek\Scott's Run\Wyoming trail\Burn Ridge.

mtbr member
    Does anyone else think its rude to ask a question on this forum and then not respond or even acknowledge the responses from others to your question?

Wtf carrielovesbikes? Did you ride this, or anything? What's your report?

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Does anyone else think its rude to ask a question on this forum and then not respond or even acknowledge the responses from others to your question?

Wtf carrielovesbikes? Did you ride this, or anything? What's your report?
    Rude? It's an interwebz forum. Who knows why the OP hasn't followed up. Maybe he has better things to do (like work, or ride, or spend time with family and?or friends than spend time on MTBR.

mtbr member
    I guess I'm too sensitive, makes me not want to share when there isn't any response.

Awesomist™
    Well, I for one appreciate all the info I get from your posts, sbsbiker. Cheers!
    The older I get, the faster I was.

Punch it, Chewie.

Paste eater
    I liked this trail. I did it after a 40 mile day and it hurt. Rugged terrain, rocky, rooty, loose and just general back country riding. Those who like manicured buff ST would not like this ride. We say 2 dirt bikers the whole ride.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    I guess I'm too sensitive, makes me not want to share when there isn't any response.
    Yeah - maybe you need to HTFU, Nancy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SkaredShtles View Post
    Yeah - maybe you need to HTFU, Nancy.
    Maybe more bacon would help, my wife only feeds me turkey bacon.

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Maybe more bacon would help, my wife only feeds me turkey bacon.
    You might want to consider a new wife...turkey bacon is an abomination.

mtbr member
    Um, she has a good job, new Subaru, and just bought a new Eriksen. This year she is riding more, and we cut 35 min off our duo time in the Steamboat Stinger(I was only 28sec faster). For Labor Day weekend she insisted we go to Spearfish to do the Dokota 5-0. Plus, her earning power bought us a home with a big enough garage for all my bikes, AND the cars. It's true love. pork bacon is a small sacrifice for a woman this good in a mountain town. Plus, I just chew up the turkey bacon and spit it in a napkin to feed later to the dog.

What other tips do you have to HTFU? Is bacon the only answer? Maybe I should sneak the camp stove out in the garage and "bacon out" when she goes to bed, but what of the smell? Do they make a bacon vaporizer?

bacon! bacon! bacon!
    Um, she has a good job, new Subaru, and just bought a new Eriksen. This year she is riding more, and we cut 35 min off our duo time in the Steamboat Stinger(I was only 28sec faster). For Labor Day weekend she insisted we go to Spearfish to do the Dokota 5-0. Plus, her earning power bought us a home with a big enough garage for all my bikes, AND the cars. It's true love. pork bacon is a small sacrifice for a woman this good in a mountain town. Plus, I just chew up the turkey bacon and spit it in a napkin to feed later to the dog.

What other tips do you have to HTFU? Is bacon the only answer? Maybe I should sneak the camp stove out in the garage and "bacon out" when she goes to bed, but what of the smell? Do they make a bacon vaporizer?
    Why are you hiding from this woman? You need to man-up and cook your OWN bacon. Real bacon. PIG BACON. In the house. All that other stuff is just stuff.

Ride bikes. Eat bacon.

mtbr member
    If you are looking at the BTUSA Bike Guide...z
    What please, is the BTUSA Bike Guide?
    ...and the Nun said, "Five bucks, same as in town."

mtbr member
    Steamboat's marketing slogan is bike town USA(BTUSA). And they have an online bike map.

XC/MOUNTAIN BIKE

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Steamboat's marketing slogan is bike town USA(BTUSA). And they have an online bike map.

XC/MOUNTAIN BIKE
    Bike Town USA? Why hell, that's enough for me. Where's my wallet?

mtbr member
    I agree it's quite a joke to think up your own nickname, and then market your town with it. Too bad my tax money goes to this and not something important like trail maintenance, or raises for bus drivers.