Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

New Trail at 18 Rd

it is now officially open. Mojo, more joe's, the lower half of joe's ridge. starts with a double, is flowy, has step ups, a cool rock section, wall rides, and ends with a sweet jump. there are alternate lines so you don't have to launch if you don't want to. it's great for everyone, and ends at the bottom of kessle run.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    More awesomeness. I can't wait to ride it this spring.

Tigers love pepper...
    Missed the opening by an hour Sunday. Gonna have to check it out soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Very fun with the diff. increasing as the trail flows down. Its a great finish to Joes Ridge. I don't think I would take tentative riders down it, but that wasn't the goal so fine with me.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by snark7 View Post
    there are alternate lines so you don't have to launch if you don't want to. it's great for everyone, and ends at the bottom of kessle run.
    It's great for almost everyone - everyone that'll hit the jumps. If you have no intention of hitting the jumps (even if you just roll them - thats okay), stay off the trail. There are already go arounds being worn in from people completely avoiding the tiny doubles and tables.
    Last edited by NoahColorado; 03-20-2013 at 09:11 PM.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    It's great for almost everyone - everyone that'll hit the jumps. If you have no intention of hitting the jumps (even if you just roll them), stay off the trail. There are already go arounds being worn in from people completely avoiding the tiny doubles and tables.
    There seems to be more and more sissy go-arounds popping up the last couple years.

How is PBR looking? It was a little loose last year with it being newly built, a dry year, and everyone and their dog trying it out.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by drlg View Post
    How is PBR looking? It was a little loose last year with it being newly built, a dry year, and everyone and their dog trying it out.
    PBR is actually dialed right now! Myself and a few folks tuned it up after finishing Mojo (the new trail) last weekend. It's really hardpacked right now and VERY fast. We touched up the first berm-to-berm and step-down sequence to allow better momentum into the first pedally part.

I hear you about the go'rounds - somebody recently spent a lot of time blocking off the Prime Cut rock move go'round. It'll be interesting to see how long it stays blocked. My girlfriend has ridden that trail dozens of times, but never tried the move. With the cheater line now off limits she had to give it a shot, it took her a total of 5 attempts - then she cleaned it. Thats the way it should be. Try until you succeed or just walk it.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Noah, I hear on the Prime Cut rock. I have ridden over the rock for years and then someone cut the tree branch that opened up the cut around. I don't get it, ride the route that was designed or walk the obstacle. this trail dumbing is making every trail a Mtb.race course. I'm an old dude and I ride the rock, get over it and ride it.

Singletrack Slacker
    Noah, Max and I did that on Saturday after the trail build. Then Max went back and made that rock for the first time. My money says it will all be cleared out by this weekend. I'm really starting to think it's locals doing all this crap.
    I need to ride moooore

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Heckled View Post
    Noah, Max and I did that on Saturday after the trail build. Then Max went back and made that rock for the first time. My money says it will all be cleared out by this weekend. I'm really starting to think it's locals doing all this crap.
    It's was already re-opened tonight. And re-closed tonight.

Whoever did this tried to block off the ORIGINAL LINE, up the rock - which in terms of technicality is about a 6/10.

I used to care about this issue in 5-6 years ago, then I gave up as the go'round got more and more worn in. Now I care again.
    Last edited by NoahColorado; 03-20-2013 at 09:07 PM.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

Tigers love pepper...
    Need a trail cam there

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitafrank View Post
    Noah, I hear on the Prime Cut rock. I have ridden over the rock for years and then someone cut the tree branch that opened up the cut around. I don't get it, ride the route that was designed or walk the obstacle. this trail dumbing is making every trail a Mtb.race course. I'm an old dude and I ride the rock, get over it and ride it.
    wow that is lame. I've been seeing that more and more around crested butte. It's not like the trails are that techy to begin with, but people who do that should just get a road bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    wow that is lame. I've been seeing that more and more around crested butte. It's not like the trails are that techy to begin with, but people who do that should just get a road bike.
    That is their goal is to dumb down the trails to the point you can ride a road bike on them.

This reminds me of the ongoing "rock wars" on Raven's Ridge (or maybe it's called Coyote Run) at the Lunch Loops. More and bigger rocks are placed on a step-up go-around, and as fast as they go up, someone moves them off. I figure it is hikers or joggers doing this so that they don't have to break stride at the step-up.

I am surprised that we would see go-around problems at 18 Rd since 95% of the people there are mountain bikers with a small percentage of hikers/joggers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    This is definitely a problem everywhere. We have been doing some Spring maintenance on Phil's World this week and closing off some of the bypasses that have been developing and causing some erosion issues. As we were standing there with tools still in hand working on the routes, riders were coming by and going right over the sections we just closed off. They were nice enough people and said they were just riding the route they had always ridden without even thinking about it. Not sure how to get over this short of metal spikes and barbed wire (obviously not a safe, realistic option).

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Armed guards.
    "We LOVE cows! They make trails for us.....

And then we eat them."

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Tigers love pepper...
    Was just gonna post that. Looks fun. Plan to check it out this weekend.

mtbr member

Whoever did this tried to block off the ORIGINAL LINE, up the rock - which in terms of technicality is about a 6/10.

I used to care about this issue in 5-6 years ago, then I gave up as the go'round got more and more worn in. Now I care again.
    THAT chaps my fuh-qing hide. It's almost like this spot needs a similarly large, but less ride-able rock in the ride-around.

I used to care about this too, I still do, but I used to too.

Back on topic: Can't wait for my first trip home this spring, thanks to all for all the work. I know how much effort it takes to "root-out" that damned dirt.
    ...and the Nun said, "Five bucks, same as in town."

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Goes on everywhere for sure and definitely not a good thing. We had a guy here in San Diego get caught moving rocks and cutting away bushes on blind corners...he later admitted he was doing it to improve his STRAVA time.

I think the issue is just going to get worse as mountain biking continues to grow because people don't realize that the trail was built a certain way on purpose.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for the trail work, can't wait to get down there and give the new trails a run.

H2o-Bar
    Mar 2006

Nice Work !

Just got out to Mojo's yesterday. Super fun with little doubles and great flow. It looks like theres also even more room for features at the bottom half of the trail.

Huge THANK YOU for those that built the trail and continue to work on the 18 rd trail's.
    Nice work !!

Colorado

This is BS. My guess is that it's some Mother of 4 who brought their 4 year old up there and doesn't really know much about mountain biking.

As much as a dislike more signage, I think MTB trails need to go that route. We need to start putting up really tiny directional signs with arrows next to the features that way everyone understands that the trail was intentionally designed to go up and over the rock. OR, maybe you could paint a big white arrow on it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drop the Seat View Post
    ... We need to start putting up really tiny directional signs with arrows next to the features that way everyone understands that the trail was intentionally designed to go up and over the rock. OR, maybe you could paint a big white arrow on it?
    I agree, I think one way forward out there is POSITIVE reinforcement. Like a bell you can hit with your helmet when you ride over the top. It would be sweet if there were real "power-ups" on trails like in video games. I get an endorphin rush when I clear an obstacle, but that's hard to quantify... Wait, did I just justify Strava? I shame myself.

I grew up ranging those clay hills and up the drainages and we pretty much went out there to get away from rules. My innate response to anybody waggin' their finger at me is to wag mine right back.
    ...and the Nun said, "Five bucks, same as in town."

2006 Yeti AS-X
    There is a rock step up on one of our black diamond trails at the trails I ride most in Smithille Lake. Of course, black diamonds in Missouri are a total different puppy than black diamonds out west but anyways we had on many several occasions users removing the rock from the center of the step up and rolling down the embankment.

Many times the trial maintenance crew would put the rock back and shortly thereafter the rock is back down the embankment again. Eventually, they put up a sign stating stop doing it as it is considered vandalism and so far the rock movement stopped.

Happens everywhere sadly.
    I don't use Strava. Don't need an application to tell me I am slow because I already know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    deleted
    Last edited by jquackjr; 03-31-2013 at 08:38 AM. Reason: really not needed in this discussion

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast