mtbr member
    Mar 2013

New to Steamboat area, looking for fellow riders

Hey all. I moved up to the area a bit earlier this year and was hoping to find some folks to ride with once things thaw out. I'll likely get a pass at the resort (depending upon the price) and possibly WP or Sol Vista as well, but I also plan on doing a good bit of non-resort riding.

I don't mind climbs but I'm a descender. I moved up here from the FR so I'm used to pretty tech terrain and ride an AM rig (will be using a dh rig for resort riding), so tech isn't a concern of mine and some hike a bike doesn't bother me either.

Last fall, I did some riding at Emerald and that was fun but was hoping to find somebody else with a similar mindset for rides. I'm out to have a good ride and enjoy myself, but my rides often center around pushing myself and progression (but not to the detriment of enjoyment).

mtbr member
    I will say HI, but reading your post I doubt I'm the type of rider you are looking to find. I'm mostly an xc, endurance racer, without even a AM, or DH bike in my collection. I do know most of the trails around here, and could show you some places to ride that aren't on the maps. Nothing has melted out yet, but you can always PM me if you are desperate for trails more challenging than Emerald.

PS, the Routt County Riders trail building crew probably share your riding interests, attending one of their meetings would be a good starting point.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    lol
    Thanks for the reply. I had seen mention of RCR before but forgot about them, so thanks for the reminder.
    I might have to take you up on some info on the other trails in the area. Do you know if there are any areas north of Craig by Black Mountain that are worth checking out? I ask because I work in Craig, so hitting an after work right is feasible if it's worth it. I also am pretty sure it'd melt out sooner there.
    If I ever feel like getting totally destroyed on a climb I'll keep you in mind for sure.

mtbr member
    Don't know about riding around Craig, sorry.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm also new.. Just moved to Steamboat from Illinois. I'd be willing to get lost with you a few times this summer! I don't have a downhill bike right now, but going to give it a shot this summer on Mt. Werner.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Awesome! Glad to at least find a couple folks.

Some updates:
    Rotary and Ridge trails off of Cow Creek are open and perfectly rideable. Rotary will be having trailwork done on it tomorrow morning from 9am-1pm. Info here- Trail Work I'll probably be there helping out, depending upon how I feel after work (night shift).

I've also checked out some trails around Craig.
    The trails around Freeman Reservoir up to the top of Black Mountain might be good once things melt out. At current, the trailhead has about 8 inches of standing snow on it still, and rumor has it there is lots of deadfall on the trail (which if the trail is cool, I might remove once it melts out).

There is also Cedar Mountain, which is essentially on the north side of the city of Craig. It's a short loop that can be done in either direction but is probably better done counterclockwise. It's a combination of smooth dirt with periodic chunk rock gardens of igneous rock, intermediate tech. Some steep, sharp hairpins, particularly at the end if rode counterclockwise, would not be much fun to ride up. It is also very shuttle-friendly since a road goes to the top for radio tower maintenance and you can descend either half of the trail to the parking area, if you're into that.

I talked to the BLM and they began construction of a new trail on Duffy Mountain called the Vista trail, which supposedly has great views and should be open and rideable currently. They hope to complete it by July when they have the Youth Corps out there volunteering. Also, they are trying to partner with RCR to create a biking intended trail in the same area, but that sounds to be in the planning/beginning stages at current. I'll give more info on the Vista once I check it out.
    Last edited by spiritualspatula; 05-17-2013 at 08:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Cow Creek, not Cattle Creek. Also Spring Creek and Hot Springs/Mad Creek. Riding season is finally coming!

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for the clarification, got the names switched in my head. Since it's in the same area, do you think Red Dirt would be good to go? And was all the deadfall ever cleared last year?

mtbr member
    Red dirt has one section below the saddle trail from Mad Creek that's north facing and holds snow longer than Mad Creek/hot springs. It usually takes longer to dry out due to its elevation and no sun. Plus the saddle trail from mad creek also stays wet from runoff longer than the other trails in this area. Hot Springs was great yesterday, and the "gamber" two track that leads to lower Lower Bear was open, and dry.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Good to know and thanks for the info.
    RE: Trail maintenance- we worked upper Rotary, the highest section from Ridge that connects down into it, where the first big downhill left hand berm is. Mostly trail widening and fixing some off-camber sections. It's still a bit loose even after the rain but much improved.

Ridge was great today as well, almost zero riders but great conditions.
    Do you know if the front side of Emerald is open yet?

mtbr member
    No mention of the only techy down in the area?
    Naysayers never apologize. Critics go to their grave thinking everyone else is wrong.
    ╭∩╮( . )╭∩╮

Want to vent?
    Ok I will say it....but it is at least a month out for riding purposes...Fish Creek Falls

The ski mountain will have what you seek, some of it is rideable now, if you put in the climbing work...basically lots of speed and jumps and a DH trail that is a fall line mess IMO

There are some mtn biking trails up around the bears ears as well I hear...that's not really "after work" from Craig...and I haven't seen them, only myth and legend. Good to know about Duffy though, im over in Craig a couple times a month.
    "I'm supa-fly TNT, I'm tha guns of the navarone!"

mtbr member
    Hi All! I'm wondering if any of you local guys can get out on ride this week 8/25-8/30...I hope to ride every day this week and I'm heading out solo for the most part so it would be nice to have some company and meet some people. I'm 33, female, I ride XC and DH, riding a borrowed bike hardtail because my rocky mountain frame broke last week and its being replaced as we speak. Hitting up Emerald tomorrow morning (Monday).

Hope to hear from you. abishop1010@gmail.com