Paste eater

New 18rd Book Cliffs trail

Hey Kids few things here....

1) Thanks for the hard work. Trail crews make the world go 'roud

2) Friends in the area say it's going to open next week. Is this a softish trail or will it be enjoyable shortly after opening.

3) How does one get there and what kind of riding is it in general terms.

Thanks agin.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    other than any snow that happened saturday, it should be good to go when you are ready to ride it.

it's 8 miles of singletrack, not overly techy, no big climbs or big descents, pretty fun.

this should answer any other questions.

Sarlacc Trail

Paste eater
    Thanks. I had speculated that it would be both longer than that and climby.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    it's pretty climby to get to, but once you are on it, it's about even up and down both ways. makes a great out and back. the road from coal gulch road up to the overlook is a great descent but it's the worst climb in the universe.

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    "Climby?"

From what I understand it's going to be a moto route which means compared to a non motorized trail it will probably get pretty chewed up in some places depending on soil and grades. If it's done right it might not be too bad but most (not all) of the moto type trails I've ridden get pretty beat up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The worst climb in the world is the gravel road at the end of Coal Gulch Road, the climb to the new singletrack isn't as bad, but it was getting overgrown pretty bad because not many people did it until now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    it is actually a moto trail, built by moto guys, also built by the mountain bikers who ride moto. it won't get too chewed up because not that many moto guys will ride it, and the ones who do know what they are doing.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    I think it's best to go up the Frontside Overlook and hit Sarlacc W2E.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by snark7 View Post
    it is actually a moto trail, built by moto guys, also built by the mountain bikers who ride moto. it won't get too chewed up because not that many moto guys will ride it, and the ones who do know what they are doing.
    Maybe. Once again, it depends on grades and soil. Amount of use does make a difference, but when you have a lot of HP and tire at your fingertips, it doesn't take much throttle to displace a lot of soil.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I think it's best to go up the Frontside Overlook and hit Sarlacc W2E.
    Is it expected that people will be using the new trail as part of the Edge Loop or a destination trail (parking at the end of Coal Gulch, riding up Frontside, riding across Sarlacc, then down Coal Gulch back the the vehicle)?

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by drlg View Post
    Is it expected that people will be using the new trail as part of the Edge Loop or a destination trail (parking at the end of Coal Gulch, riding up Frontside, riding across Sarlacc, then down Coal Gulch back the the vehicle)?
    For sure both. Doesn't add much milage, but probably another 1k vert ft to the Edge Loop (from top of Frontside Overlook east on Sarlacc is an elevation loss, thus it being my preferred route). Helluva lot better route than going up Coal Gulch road the whole way....

From TH to Sarlacc only and back on the road is 24mi, IIRC (via Zip-off, Western Zip, Frontside, Frontside Overlook, Sarlacc, Coal Gulch, and back).
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

zrm
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I rode this trail on Friday. Actually kind of stumbled onto it after climbing up that grunt road thinking I was going to do the portage down to 18rd. Saw the trail thinking it was an alternative to the old portage. It didn't dawn on me till I had gone a ways that it was the Sarlacc trail. The tread was very soft which it to be expected of a newly built trail. Not a lot in the way of technical rock, or steep grades. Pretty twisty too, all of which I'm sure is to encourage the motos from grabbing too much throttle and trenching it out. My motorhead days are well behind me but I can't image ever getting out of 2nd gear on a dirt bike.

Great views and pretty forest up there. The trail was enjoyable to me, but if you're looking for lots of rock drops, technical features, or high speed flow, it won't be the best trail for you. If the tread "beds in" well and firms up it will get faster I'd imagine.