mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Need a Photographer for fat bikes

I need someone to take some photos of fat bikes. I work for Kona bikes and we need photos our dealers can use for advertising.

If you have the equipment and attitude to tramp around in the snowy mountains, then your awesome. I have the bikes to get us into locations. It will be a non paid shoot so far. It will get your foot in the door with Kona and our dealers. Pus you never know how far the photos can go. You could have the cover of next years catalog.

I have not secured the location yet. Somewhere by Aspen or Vail.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Seriously? Work for free, maybe get on the cover of a catalog?

I guess its an "opportunity" for an up-and comer, but even then - photos take time and effort, and good photos -worthy of advertising at a corporate level - are worth money, real money - not possible favors and "could haves".

*edited*

Sorry to come so jaded, but getting paid as a photographer can be difficult - situations like this do not do photographers any favors.
    Last edited by jhazard; 11-14-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: tourettes/spelling
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Why is it so hard to get paid for photos?

Instead of attacking back you should have asked more questions. Post is vag because I'm still ironing it the details of funds. I was being honest about at current moment no pay. I'm working on a budget along with that Jacksonhole might even kick in,they needs some photos.

You are right,I should not give anyone a chance without paying them money first. Well to do that we will use our current photographer and let these photos happen in Findland instead of good ol Colorado.

Airborne Flight Crew
    You did say "...so far", so pardon me for jumping the gun.

As usual, I came off a bit hot-headed, but as a creative type, too often I see artists or craftspeople get shafted, or offered "opportunities" rather than real money. I don't know why this is, I don't know why people have a problem paying for creativity or craft, but apparently many do.

Working as a graphic designer, I see it all too often. For some reason, many folks don't want to pay the design fees for a project, because its just "pressing buttons and must be easy because photoshop does all the work". I've heard more than a few customers say almost those exact words. But when the odd customer sits down and "designs" a piece with me at the computer, they are usually fascinated by the entire process, and realize it's a lot more than just photoshop/illustrator doing the work.

So, my bad for the knee-jerk. Sensitive area for me I guess. Good luck with your search. Colorado should provide plenty of scenic venues for your bike shots.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by Shwilly View Post
    I need someone to take some photos of fat bikes. I work for Kona bikes and we need photos our dealers can use for advertising.

If you have the equipment and attitude to tramp around in the snowy mountains, then your awesome. I have the bikes to get us into locations. It will be a non paid shoot so far. It will get your foot in the door with Kona and our dealers. Pus you never know how far the photos can go. You could have the cover of next years catalog.

I have not secured the location yet. Somewhere by Aspen or Vail.
    I have the equipment, knowledge of many good places to shoot in Colorado, and a semi-flexible schedule.

I do not have the desire to work for free.

If appropriate, you can contact me info@lacemine29.com

Cheers,

MC

mtbr member
    Need a Photographer for fat bikes-dont-feed-troll.jpg

Of the Nameless Rabble
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    You did say "...so far", so pardon me for jumping the gun.

As usual, I came off a bit hot-headed, but as a creative type, too often I see artists or craftspeople get shafted, or offered "opportunities" rather than real money. I don't know why this is, I don't know why people have a problem paying for creativity or craft, but apparently many do.

Working as a graphic designer, I see it all too often. For some reason, many folks don't want to pay the design fees for a project, because its just "pressing buttons and must be easy because photoshop does all the work". I've heard more than a few customers say almost those exact words. But when the odd customer sits down and "designs" a piece with me at the computer, they are usually fascinated by the entire process, and realize it's a lot more than just photoshop/illustrator doing the work.

So, my bad for the knee-jerk. Sensitive area for me I guess. Good luck with your search. Colorado should provide plenty of scenic venues for your bike shots.
    Thanks for sticking up for creative types. The photo industry is tanking because there is little solidarity, lots of cameras, and lots of ego-stroking for bylines that lures hobbyists and the inexperienced.

In the bad old days, early agriculture barons would pass out fliers for work far and wide, attracting thousands of desperate, near-starved souls fleeing the Dust Bowl for only a hundred jobs. With starving people bidding against one another, the Ag-Barons could hire pickers at starvation wages. This continued until labor reform.

An analog of this is going on right now in the creative industries. Ad agencies, web designers, product-PR people, unscrupulous publishing houses, and a rash of others are relying on people who will work for free to keep creative labor available for free. The thing these people usually always fail to mention is that they're getting paid pretty well for their work; paying you for your photos merely cuts into their profit.

Thanks again, Jerry Hazard. The industry needs strong-willed, outspoken characters like you, and it could use thousands more.

P.S. And if the guy says "free SO FAR," that probably means photo credit and $50 bucks an image after being shamed into paying (and I'm using the term horrifically loosely)...

(And I bet they'll ask for copyright to all the images, too.)

I like this place

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Come on guys, how is Kona supposed to make money if they have to pay for advertising photography?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Dude's got 4 posts. I think he's yanking your chain.

Trying to make a living in a creative field does suck, though. I'd discourage anyone from giving away your work. It just pulls the rates even lower.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx