XC racer
    May 2005

Need a Durango trail suggestion

My team is coming to Durango on the 20th for a five day trip. Most of us have been there before and our planned rides include Hermosa Creek, Phil's World, CO Trail and connectors, and Telegraph Hill and connectors. Need one more.
    We're a mixed group of kids and adults, last year we did the city park trail (Dallara?) the first day and it's too climby and technical for our group. We're staying a few miles north of town and prefer places we can ride to from our house. How about another in-town suggestion that's more in line with the other places I mentioned technical wise. Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    The new Twin Buttes area is what you are looking for. A couple of miles west of town off of 160 on the north side. On par with the others you mentioned.
    Test Tracks (formally Durango Mountain Park I think) is another option, on the west side of town.
    Horse Gulch (Telegraph Hill as you put it) has a back side you may not be familiar with, Ewing Mesa. More miles over there just as good as Horse Gulch. Be sure to hit Big Canyon down.
    Rim trails, Zig Zag and Nature trail can be had from downtown. These fit into your description too.
    Have fun ... be safe ... be nice!
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

XC racer
    May 2005
    Thanks for the suggestions. I found this link Trails 2000 | Interactive Map which hopefully will guide us to the trailheads we don't know. We're renting a house off of Trimble/550, I found one on the map called "Church Camp" that looks like it's right outside our door, but it's not on the written trails list. Know anything about that one?
    We'll be getting there probably noonish after driving 17 hours + so something not too long or hard for our first day would be ideal. The rest of the days we don't mind spending 4-6 hours in the saddle.
    One of my favorite days last year was climbing the Telegraph Hill ascent starting from the college campus, then descending to near the intersection of 160 and maybe E 8th? From there we took the paved path towards town until we came across the BMX park. Played there for an hour, then jumped in the river to cool off. Headed to the DQ for carb loading, the waited out the afternoon rainstorm before riding back to our house. Really fun day.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    The Twin Buttes trails suggested by cbrossman are outstanding.

Another short ride that's very kid-friendly is Sale Barn -> South Rim -> Big Canyon. The Sale Barn trailhead is directly across the highway from Home Depot on the south end of town. Maybe 5 miles total. The end of the super-fun Big Canyon trail drops out about 3/4 mile to the north by the car dealership, across from WalMart. There are lots of ways to extend it if you want a few more miles, with signs at most intersections.

The Falls Creek aka Church Camp trails are good too, but they can be somewhat confusing. The main trails all eventually loop into each other but there are side trails that lead to dead-ends on private property with steep hike-a-bike sections, and nothing is signed.

XC racer
    May 2005
    The Twin Buttes looks great. Is it a reasonable distance (and safe) for us to ride to it from our house? If not, where do you park to access it? The trail map implies there's a parking area but doesn't show exactly where it is.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    One thing about Twin Buttes is there is a lot of construction going on. I was shut down 1/2 way up the climb yesterday mid day and made the ride pretty disjointed. Either way, you will want to do the Ed and Flow from top to bottom when you ride it. That's what that ride is all about. I"d check the construction updates when you get there though.

And second sale barn route. I like to add in Skull Rock and Sidewinder though.

XC racer
    May 2005
    So here's a map I found online for Twin Buttes: http://www.durangogov.org/DocumentCenter/View/319
    When you say construction, do you mean actual trail construction? or road/building construction in the area that gets in the way?
    If it's on the trail itself that doesn't sound good, just a week away.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you're staying near Trimble, it's about 10 miles from there to Twin Buttes; it's about the same distance as Horse Gulch (Telegraph Trailhead) but on the other side of the river. You park right behind a large gas station on Hwy 160. The parking area is pretty big. The trail system goes around a new housing development that's undergoing a lot of construction, so sometimes sections of the trails get shut down by the developers, forcing temporary re-routes. Usually they don't last very long, but you might hit on the wrong day.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I mean road building construction. It was at the intersection of Twin Buttes and BC&F on this map, which required me to take BC&F to Traverse and the road up to almost the top of Ed and Flow (not pictured). Generally they have had work around's, and they have built a reroute after Ed and Flow that brings you to BC&F, that is OK, but not great. Hopefully what I saw was just at that day and they build a reroute soon.

And if you don't know how to do this trail, it goes counter clockwise. I generally skip the Cliffrock loop, it is more XC oriented and I just don't find it that exciting, unless you want to add miles. Its not horrible, and you may enjoy the extra miles.