mtbr member

Must Do Rides in CO?

Hey all.
    I'm going out to CO in Sept with friends and need recommendations for the best rides out there. We've already scheduled a day for the Monarch Crest Trail in Salida. We've already done several trails in Fruita, but feel free to recommend your favorites there. After CO, we'll most likely end up in Moab again. If possible, please list trail names and not just the area. Links to maps, descriptions, ratings earn you bonus points.
    Thanks,
    Lenny

The Original Suspect
    I you are gonna finish in Moab then a few hours in Cortez's Phil's World is a must! I've been through there twice and it's about as much fun as you can have.

https://www.durangoutdoors.com/nearb...hils-world.htm

mtbr member
    Yawn, do we need a Sticky of all the rides great rides in CO. Seems like this question gets asked over and over and over and over...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rides here. I haven't ridden any that were crap yet.

I ride with tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mtndude23 View Post
    Honestly I don't think you can go wrong with any of the rides here. I haven't ridden any that were crap yet.
    Sorry, I gotta disagree. Reno / Flag / Bear / Deadmans loop near Crested Butte was hyped to me for years as a great ride. When I finally rode it, it was 90% rutted out moto trails covered in fly-infested cow sh!t. Only the switchbacks down Deadman's were any fun. That was a crap ride.

On the other hand, the Doctors Park Loop was one of the top 5 rides I have ever done. But dear Lord, if you going to ride it, get a GPS track or a guide. There was a 4-way intersection that didn't show on my map and much misery resulted.

Also, another vote for Phil's World in Cortez. About as much fun as you can have on a bike.

edit: I gotta second Rossman's recommendo - Molas Pass to Coal Bank to Cascade Creek is a stunningly beautiful high country classic ride. I like Durango WAY better than Crested Butte. More and better options for post-ride food and drink, and a much better vibe IMO.
    Last edited by Jim Beam; 3 Weeks Ago at 02:50 PM.

mtbr member
    If you are going from Salida to Moab, I think it makes a lot of sense to do rides in Durango and Cortez on your way to Moab. One day in each area would be ideal. Maybe 2+ days in Moab. Depends on what you like.

As for Cortez, You could do Phil's world in the morning, then Sand Canyon in the afternoon in Cortez. Very unique rides.

Schmed
    2001 Turner O2 XC
    2012 IndyFab Planet Cross CX
    2013 Kona Raijin SS

mtbr member
    Molas Pass to Coal Bank and down Cascade is a beautiful ride in the high country, IMO, better than the Crest. Colorado Trail to High Point and back is very good ride, as is Jones Dutch and many others in the Durango area.
    If you pass through Durango, you'll find several must do rides, as you might if you pass through CB. It just depends our your path.
    Craig, Durango CO
    "Lighten up PAL" ... King Cage

mtbr member
    Thanks for the recommendations folks.
    Keep em coming.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Beam View Post
    Sorry, I gotta disagree. Reno / Flag / Bear / Deadmans loop near Crested Butte was hyped to me for years as a great ride. When I finally rode it, it was 90% rutted out moto trails covered in fly-infested cow sh!t. Only the switchbacks down Deadman's were any fun. That was a crap ride.

On the other hand, the Doctors Park Loop was one of the top 5 rides I have ever done. But dear Lord, if you going to ride it, get a GPS track or a guide. There was a 4-way intersection that didn't show on my map and much misery resulted.

edit: I gotta second Rossman's recommendo - Molas Pass to Coal Bank to Cascade Creek is a stunningly beautiful high country classic ride. I like Durango WAY better than Crested Butte. More and better options for post-ride food and drink, and a much better vibe IMO.
    RFBD has gone to crap the last 3-4yrs or so from the moto traffic. If I do it, I skip the flag downhill and bear uphill. After the Reno rd. uphill I hit reno ridge straight over to the bear downhill then onto deadmans. You gotta hit that early, sometime in June for the best conditions, otherwise late in the year once the cows get out there it's not as good.

mid-late Sept. you'll have really nice color on the aspens. Lots of good rides in Crested Butte and is probably the most scenic place in the state that time of year for fall color.

Here's what I'd suggest
    1. ride the Crest
    2. spend rest of free time in Salida riding the S mountain/arkansas trail system right near town. Tons of great fun/short or longer loops.
    3. Go to Crested Butte, ride some classics (401, strand, teo ridge, dkye, ect). Choose wisely as you'll just be scratching the surface here. CB has some of the best scenery and rides in the state. If the weather is crappy, head over to gunnison and ride hartman rocks.

4. If you decide to head south then go to Phil's world and then over to Durango
    5. If you decide to head north then ride the lunch loops in Grand Junction or Kokopelli loops in Loma. 18rd is great if you're a beginner, but too crowded usually. Rabbit valley has quality riding as well. Palisade rim is also a pretty sweet ride in palisade, co. Personally I think the amount/quality of riding is better near grand junction/fruita than near durango/cortez, but obviously it's apples/oranges comparison if you're comparing the alpine riding in the san juans vs. desert riding.

For maps/GPS/trail descriptions go here: MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Kennebec Pass is a pretty ripping fun ride in the Durango area, too.

DLd
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    5. If you decide to head north then ride the lunch loops in Grand Junction or Kokopelli loops in Loma. 18rd is great if you're a beginner, but too crowded usually. Rabbit valley has quality riding as well. Palisade rim is also a pretty sweet ride in palisade, co. Personally I think the amount/quality of riding is better near grand junction/fruita than near durango/cortez, but obviously it's apples/oranges comparison if you're comparing the alpine riding in the san juans vs. desert riding.

For maps/GPS/trail descriptions go here: MTB Project | Mountain Bike Trail Maps
    The new Sarlacc Trail at 18 Road is a great way to get away from the crowds. You head out Frontside or Western Zippity like your going to do the Edge route. I prefer it clockwise so far, which means climbing the dirt road (bearing right at splits) till you get to the higher trailhead. After that, it's like a smooth, flowy pumptrack in the sky with great views. You'll be up on the cliffs overlooking the rest of the 18 Rd. trails below. One of my favorite trails here. Western Rim trail at Rabbit Valley is also awesome. From there, it's just 1.75 hours to Moab. All the other options mentioned are great too.
    "Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion."-Jack Kerouac

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Two Elk is a top 5 for me. But as for a single location? I live in Colorado and Crested Butte is a mandatory summer/fall trip every year. Best high alpine single track in the state. These are the other mandatory annual trips we take: Salida/ Fruita or Moab/ Steamboat/ Vail/ Breckenridge/ Buffalo Creek.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebum View Post
    ...Best high alpine single track in the state ...
    Ridden the high country north of Durango?
    Craig, Durango CO

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrossman View Post
    Ridden the high country north of Durango?
    Good point. I should edit to say: One of the best spots for high alpine ST in Colorado.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I'll 4th or 5th the Phil's World recommendation. Not the most difficult trail system on the plant but absolutely a blast to ride. I love that it's directional and nothing is allowed out there but bikes. You won't see any ruts caused by moto's, no dog feces on the trails (that I've ever seen) and I guarantee you'll want to double back for a second run on Rib Cage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikebum View Post
    Good point. I should edit to say: One of the best spots for high alpine ST in Colorado.
    I was actually inquiring more than criticizing, I have not ridden Two Elks but it sounds like great alpine riding as well.
    Craig, Durango CO

mtbr member
    All recommended rides are good. Really hard to go wrong between CB and Durango, I love both.

Breckenridge is highly under rated in Colorado IMO. Hundreds of miles right from town don't even need to drive. They have marked the trails up there in the past couple years so it is easier to navigate. I have multiple 30 to 50 mile loops I do in Breck that are 95 percent great single track. Just so many ways to combine routes in Breck to be as long or short as you want.

I would pick 2 or 3 areas depending on time and focus there. There is so much great riding here. For example we spent 8 days in Durango last year and just scratched the surface of what is there.

Durango:
    Front Range MTB: Durango....delivers.

Breck:
    Front Range MTB: Guyot (New Version)
    Front Range MTB: Why not.......
    Front Range MTB: Breck Valley Loop

CB:
    Front Range MTB: CB (Day 1)
    Front Range MTB: CB (Day 2)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2rider1964 View Post
    ... Phil's World ....nothing is allowed out there but bikes. You won't see any ruts caused by moto's....
    Some wing nut rode his ATV all over the 1st part of the trail system last year. It was really disgusting how much damage that one a__hole did. It must have been the 1st 6 miles of the trail.

Schmed
    2001 Turner O2 XC
    2012 IndyFab Planet Cross CX
    2013 Kona Raijin SS

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by steadyflow View Post
    way better to ride 409 + point lookout up to 409.5 than to ride walrod,412 and part of doubletop up now. Makes for a much better loop in my opinion, especially since the CB mountain bike club re-worked parts of 409 and finished the new point lookout trail in 2014

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BDKeg View Post
    way better to ride 409 + point lookout up to 409.5 than to ride walrod,412 and part of doubletop up now. Makes for a much better loop in my opinion, especially since the CB mountain bike club re-worked parts of 409 and finished the new point lookout trail in 2014
    Nice good to know.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Durango is a pretty special place, we love it there, we drive there just about every year....we'll be there again this July. What makes it awesome are the Varrying Terrain/Climate Zones, the atmosphere of the city, and the people that live there love their city and will help ya out.

Our Favorites we've done so far in no order are:
    The whole Horsegultch Area
    Kennebec Pass
    Hermosa Creek
    CO Trail to High Point and Back via the Hoffheim connenctor.

This year we are planning on doing Engineer Mountain, Phils World, and some form of a ride from Molas....I have to figure out a loop.

Again we always here about other places....but that Gem in the SW corner keeps getting our attention.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vack View Post
    Durango is a pretty special place, we love it there, we drive there just about every year....we'll be there again this July. What makes it awesome are the Varrying Terrain/Climate Zones, the atmosphere of the city, and the people that live there love their city and will help ya out.

Our Favorites we've done so far in no order are:
    The whole Horsegultch Area
    Kennebec Pass
    Hermosa Creek
    CO Trail to High Point and Back via the Hoffheim connenctor.

This year we are planning on doing Engineer Mountain, Phils World, and some form of a ride from Molas....I have to figure out a loop.

Again we always here about other places....but that Gem in the SW corner keeps getting our attention.
    This and 6 brew pubs now!
    Craig, Durango CO