Bite Me.

Mushroom Rock "Sanitization"

I rode Mushroom Rock on Sunday during one of our brief interludes between rain storms. There has been a significant amount of trail work aka "sanitization" done on the climb up Three Gulches. This is controversial I know. Two of the tight switchbacks have been reworked and armored, and some of the bump and grind sections have been packed with dirt to create a more ride-able line through them. On several sections, the tech moves have been virtually eliminated. I always enjoyed the techy challenges, and just blowing through them on Sunday felt a bit like cheating. The trade off is that the flow was improved (at least for me), meaning I didn't have to go back and re-do it several times before cleaning it, but some of you may be surprised at how different the ride is now.

I have no idea if the Elk Traverse and stuff on the North Side have been treated the same because I was driven off by hail and lightning half way through Faerie Trail

Anyhoo, just be ready for a way less difficult climb the next time you go. Not saying it's good or bad - I do appreciate the volunteer time that goes into maintaining that system, but the relative ease of the trail is not quite so good IMO.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

tg
    mtbr member
    Sounds like a good ride for the Flux now. Call me John , I need to hit that soon.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Don't despair, after a summer of hot dry weather all of that dirt will get blown out and the rocks that are buried will reappear. Enjoy the "ease" of the climb for now. Nobody messed with Elk traverse or Northside, I was up there today. Also, I didn't notice the armor on the corners, must have been all of the sweat in my eyes. Anyway, cheers to the sun, get out and ride.
    "Live life, taste death." Crazy dude from ski patrol

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Unfortunately many lines are being sanitized. I'm all about making trails resistant to erosion, but dumbing down lines should be the last resort. If you never have to push your bike you're climbing trails that don't challenge you.