little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004

Mt Sopris / Carbondale / Prince Creek Rdq

Hello,

I know there's some primitive BLM camping along Prince Creek Road - my memory of this area is hazy and several years old, though. Is there good riding in this area or are these just hiking trails??

thanks for any info! Trying to put together a trail/trip itinerary for western CO in a few weeks

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    There is excellent riding all over Crown Mt. and around the base of Mt. Sopris (Hay Park and variations).
    Many of the trails on the Crown require local knowledge or a little luck as they don't appear on maps.
    Red Hill (mushroom rock) is also easily accessed from a Prince Creek camp.

jummo

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    thank you jummo, that's a good start, I was able to find some info on Hay Park. We plan to camp along Prince Creek Rd. Do you know if the bike shop in Carbondale (my hazy recollection tells me there's a LBS/outdoor/gear shop) has local maps / knowledge?

Bite Me.
    The guys at Ute City Cycles or Ajax Bikes can help you out. They're both right on 133 as you head into town. Prince Creek is great riding, lots of loops and some very buff single track. Google Earth it and you'll see the obvious options. There really is no good detailed map of the all the trails out there, but it's easy to explore. Red Hill / Mushroom Rock is also well worth a day of riding for more technical terrain.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I spent a week in Carbondale in July, the guys at Ajax bikes are nice enough but sure couldn't give me much info on the Prince creek trails, I got some riding in but none of it was very good. You do get to ride over an 80's model Monte Carlo with ramps built up both ends which is kind of neat, beware the ramps are fixed but teh cars suspension still works so expect it to move when you get onto it, ha ha. Overall I was disappointed with the riding around Carbondale but probably because I didn't have a local to show me around. Since you are going to be in the area ride the Scout trail in Glenwood Springs, it's a great trail with minimal exposure but great views of the Glenwood Canyon....it's a must ride in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Prince Creek is fantastic! It is, however, very difficult to find your way around. Especially this past year with all of the vegetation. It is definitely best to find a local. You will not be disappointed! One of the best trail networks around including a "Monte Carlo", a gap jump, HUGE berms and buff single track.

Its sick riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Damn, wish I had been about to find someone to show me around, I was afraid I was missing a ton of sweet singletrack. We camped at Prince Creek, primitive camping and a ton of established sites. Oh well, there's always next time.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Thanks all! I think we'll stop in the LBS and ask around a bit. I remember seeing quite a bit of singletrack along Prince Creek Rd but was on foot at the time (2005? 06? dunno...) so probably not the best gauge. I remember that the camping was primitive but very, very nice along the road.

mtbr member
    I'm based in Aspen, and there's also great singletrack up the road here and in Snowmass if you're interested in driving about 30 minutes. Everything is very well marked and easy to find. Let me know when you're heading this way, and I can give you some detailed beta.

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004

update-- back from trip, Prince Creek is amazing!

Hi all,

Thanks to everyone who provided info on this. My bf and I stopped in at Ute City Cycles and we were NOT disappointed at all. The shop guys there drew us the world's most amazing map of the whole Crown / Prince Creek network and we rode the entire stash including Father of Ginormous and the back ridge. OMG so fun!!! The only reason we came down at all was because the wind came up and got cold as heck plus it was getting dark out.

The only thing that makes me sad is that after six hours of exhausting roller coaster fun and many amazing photos, the shop was closed on Mondays so I could not go give the guys the beer we so desperately owed them for drawing us the route. I would post a scan of that map (it is THE most amazing hand drawn trail map I have ever seen) but I'm kind of afraid to publicise those trails, they are just that good. Creekside and Skilsaw (parallel the creek to the north and west of the main trail network) made me wonder if I had endoed and gone to MTB heaven. So if you're reading this, Ute City Cycles guys, please be aware that there are a couple of dirtballs in Boulder who owe you some beers, bigtime.

We camped up at Avalanche Creek and very nearly froze our butts off but at least they have water there. Oh and if you camp up there, please be warned that you will NOT make it back out unscathed if it rains and floods the ford unless you have a high clearance vehicle. BF has a Suby WRX (quasi rallye car) and it was touch and go after a night of moderate drizzle, tho granted that's prolly not the world's best example of "high clearance".

Bite Me.
    Glad you liked it - there's more where that came from too - Red Hill, Forest Hollow, and tons up Snowmass way (though with the snow maybe it's a bit done). Don't sweat the beers too much - I took them a 6 pack of Farmer's Friend and Red Truck the other day as a thanks for some help on a wheel problem. I'm sure that will last them about 20 minutes.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells